• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales of Suspense 39 CGC 9.0 sure sold quickly!

44 posts in this topic

Ah, are you using the GURU pricing method that 9.0's should sell for 2X VF guide?

Obviously, not all book will fit in to this formula. But based on the analysis I do regarding Silver-Age titles, CGC VF/NM sell for around twice as much as CGC VF books.

I would expect that the spread on key books would be greater. But I also remember a TOS #39 in CGC VF/NM being offered on eBay (4 or 5 months ago) and I believe the seller was looking for around $7K. That book did have Cream to Off-White pages which would clearly reduce the value.

Lastly, I (and many other collectors) do not have the luxury of having a client base (like you) to determine the value of books that aren't sold very often. Therefore I do extrapolate values based on the data that I do have.

Why are we even talking about TOS #39 in the same breath as AF #15?

Sure its a relatively rare book and one of Marvels core SA characters, but how relevant is Iron Man anymore? I can only see his popularity declining while Spidey is getting more and more exposure. Another point to note is that Iron Man is barely recognisable now from the character that appeared in TOS #39 whereas Spidey has remained virtualy unchanged from his first appearance. sumo.gif

true enough, Iron Man is not in Spidey's League. But, TOS 39 is still, today and for many years to come, one of the core Marvel Keys. And the posts have mostly acknowledged what this price means only on this book and in this grade. The only comparisons to AF 15 were just how much less it sells forand what ceiling room it still has as AF 15 sells for more and more...

But, TOS 39 is still, today and for many years to come, one of the core Marvel Keys. And the posts have mostly acknowledged what this price means only on this book and in this grade. The only comparisons to AF 15 were just how much less it sells forand what ceiling room it still has as AF 15 sells for more and more...

Sure, I apreciate the fact that the book is a solid SA key, but I still think that you guys are overstating the 'potential' of Iron Man's first app. For me, the book has no more room to grow as Iron Man is a character that is showing its age.

You should read my earlier post blowout, I never said that they were ever going to be worth the same, just that they are major keys from the same era.

I never expect a 9.4 TOS 39 to reach $122k, but it could certainly go a good way towards that.

As for earlier points on the price of the AF15, as already stated, they just don't exist, so prices are what someone will pay for it. I just think that PGC is laughing and waiting for his to be poped, then we will all drown in our words about him!

The TOS #39 CGC 9.0 was a steal at $10k, and I second Bobs offer of matching it! Noticed that the 8.5 sold for $4750 after the $10k one sold 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You should read my earlier post blowout, I never said that they were ever going to be worth the same, just that they are major keys from the same era.

I realise that no-one is saying that TOS 39 should be worth the same as AF 15, but the feeling seems to be that TOS should be somehow riding on AF's coat tails with price rises, which I just don't see.

Having said that, I do agree that 10K was a good price for the CGC 9.0.

thumbsup2.gif Not sure if it was you that said it, but I still feel that TOS 39 has a way to go 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not to specualte too much, but I think the film could actually do this title some good? Not saying that this should justifiy price increases, but it may turn the publics eye back to a great character!

The TOS #39 CGC 9.0 was a steal at $10k, and I second Bobs offer of matching it! Noticed that the 8.5 sold for $4750 after the $10k one sold

This where I disagree (some what). The 8.5 sold for $4,750 while the 9.0 (one grade higher) sold formore than double that. Pretty much the only books that I see selling for double (or more) with only one increment up is from 9.2 to 9.4, 9.4 to 9.6, etc.

I'm not saying $10K is a bad price, but I thought it was a little high based on what the 8.5 book was listed at.

sold my copy that was a 9.0 with off -white pages a year ago for $10k. It seems that the price is inline with the times right now.

Steve

Thanks for info.

I never said $10K was too much. At least for me, I would rather have a very sharp VF+ at half the price of a VF/NM. That's unless I thought that the VF/NM was very strictly graded and could possilbly get a NM- on a resubmit.

I never said $10K was too much. At least for me, I would rather have a very sharp VF+ at half the price of a VF/NM.

I don't think too many would doubt the wisdom of this statement. The difference between the grades is certainly not worth a 50% price difference on a book of this high $$ value.

never said $10K was too much. At least for me, I would rather have a very sharp VF+ at half the price of a VF/NM.

I don't think too many would doubt the wisdom of this statement. The difference between the grades is certainly not worth a 50% price difference on a book of this high $$ value.

Apparently many people do. The VF+ copy sold for $4,750 after the VF/NM copy sold for $10,000.

Yet, several people said they would buy a VF/NM for $10K right away if given the chance. But, they had a chance on the VF+ and didn't.

To each his own.

Theres slightly smaller ones on IM foot, and at the top of the red caption box?

That appears to be a piece of styrofoam (from packing material) on the scanner bed.

I would bet that is not on the book.

Now back to my point regarding a VF+ for $4,750 and a VF/NM $10,000.

Assume both books were never CGC'd.

If you saw both books ungraded, do you really believe many collectors would say that the VF/NM is worth TWICE AS MUCH as the VF+ copy.

As an investor could you take the chance that the VF/NM was a sure VF/NM (or better) and that the VF+ copy was a sure VF+ (or worse).

Maybe you think both could be VF/NM or maybe you think both were only VF+.

That's my point.

That appears to be a piece of styrofoam (from packing material) on the scanner bed.

I would bet that is not on the book.

That's what it looks like to me, particularly because of the shadow it casts which is also clearly visible