• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales of Suspense 39 CGC 9.0 sure sold quickly!

44 posts in this topic

Hello Garth

the top staple does not look a little rusty to me - but without having the item in my hands, it cannot be determined IMHO. However, this IS a great comic to have, and I can assume you feel the same way! The VF/NM 9.0 grade is probably close, if not right-on-the-money. I am one of those graders who tends to allow some "leeway" with grading - for ex: this VF/NM 9.0 I might have found something subjective like color reflectivity loss and have this a VF+ 8.5. Several graders( like CGC employs) can have 9.0, 9.2, and all would be right, as grading to me is not EXACTING. But I do draw the line at number of defects and try as hard as posible to distinguish between NM- 9.2 and NM 9.4. Just some comments here. hi.gif

Is that top staple slightly rusty, and if so, is that the reason for the VF/NM 9.0 grade? It looks awfully tight otherwise...

Well just came upon this and garth you have a good eye - the top staple MAY not be rusty but it DOES have a quality that I can understand you're asking about. There is a darkish quality to it that looks a titch too familiar. Wish the description would mention staples.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that top staple slightly rusty, and if so, is that the reason for the VF/NM 9.0 grade? It looks awfully tight otherwise...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well just came upon this and garth you have a good eye - the top staple MAY not be rusty but it DOES have a quality that I can understand you're asking about. There is a darkish quality to it that looks a titch too familiar. Wish the description would mention staples.

I was surprised at the price because the TOS #39 VF+ copy is only offered at $4,750. It seems that in general the difference in price between VF+ and VF/NM (which could be as slight as one more spine stress line) is 50% at most.

This sale price of the VF/NM is well over 100% of the VF+ price. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Out of the 222 graded so far, only 19 grade at 9.0 or higher:

Mint 10.0 0 0 0 0 0

Mint 9.9 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 0 0 0 0 0

Near Mint + 9.6 1 0 0 0 1

Near Mint 9.4 3 0 0 0 3

Near Mint - 9.2 9 0 0 0 9

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 4 0 0 2 6

Very surprised there are no 9.6 or above, but then again, I've always thought this was well undervalued and still say that $10k was about right for this time (although that specific issues seems to have some ???? about it?), but actually a 'good investment for the future'. As for the 8.5 at $4,750, thats probably the current MV, but in my opinion UNDERVALUED!

Kevs price predictions for April 2005:

8.5=$7k

9.0=$14k

9.2=$17k

9.4=$22k

9.6=$35k

9.8=$75k (which will show on the census at about Christmas)

Good info on this Issue TOS 39 - but I am not so sure those prices will be realized - even if the Iron Man movie pans out successfully....but you may be right - I wonder why NO copy like a NM 9.8 has not surfaced.? During the time of distribution, maybe it was overlooked or considered another "Prototype" comic? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, I guess theres no AF15s in 9.8, and as I have always said, this one is as rare!

Think about this. Spidey has always been the most important single Marvel Character, and the books have always been popular.

Now I consider IM to be a key Marvel (but not as much a SM) character.

There are obviously gonna be more #1s of any comic, because people have ALWAYS kept them (spidey #1, XMen#1 etc).

Now, middle issues of standard comics are going to be rare. ie AF15, TOS39, JIM83, these are in the long run always going to be rarer, IMHO.

I think that people will realise that these issues are the true form of 'rare'. And the supply of AF15 (due to the popular character) should outway those of TOS39.

The film will help, and I actually think it may be one of the better future Marvel movies. But I think this one is going to see a steady upwards move, whereas AF15, can it sustain $122k for a 9.4 893whatthe.gif?????

That AF15 at 122K sale, if real, has stretched the envelope for all the other Marvel keys. Their prices in HG can creep up into the ample area below 122K and above current levels. But the AF15 sale was only one, and unless and until the other copies sell for comparable amounts, it should get thrown out like the Russian judge's score at the Olympics!

That AF15 at 122K sale, if real, has stretched the envelope for all the other Marvel keys. Their prices in HG can creep up into the ample area below 122K and above current levels.

There has already been some prior creepage...that CGC 9.4 Fantastic Four #1 with ow/w pages sold for $111K at the Parrino auction in 2002. I would tend to think that sale raised the bar a bit more than this one did, but they definitely both stand almost entirely alone.

and wasnt there an astounding sale of 160K for either AF15 or ASM#1 a couple years ago? What an aberration that was...

I believe that would be the 9.6 ASM 1, which the very astute seller unloaded for that price at the height of the Spidey movie mania. I believe the purchaser of this book was then forced to unload it fairly shortly afterwards on Heritage at a pretty hefty loss.

As high as those two sales were, we must be fair and take them into context: these sales stand alone because there just arent too many copies of these 2 books in 9.4 that ever change hands, and, most of them just arent going to BE for sale for a long time, panted in those super fine private "Registry-worthy" collections as they are... Somewhat like how we all know the MH Action#1 is "worth" over a million bucks (or is it over two million?) even though the most that's ever been paid for ANY comic book in 3-hundred something...

I guess these two sales hint at, or illustrate, what these 9.4s could sell for every time if only they came up on the market more often...

wasnt the $160k sale a rumor from richard koos?

if memory serves me right, koos mentioned on these boards parrino told him he bought the 9.6 AF 15 for $160k?????????

I can't speak as to the 9.6 AF 15. But I have it on very good authority that the price of the 9.6 ASM 1 was a bit over $150k.

I can't speak as to the 9.6 AF 15. But I have it on very good authority that the price of the 9.6 ASM 1 was a bit over $150k.

I heard the same thing...which really makes that $92K selling price make you go 893whatthe.gif

Even worse is that he really only got $78K after the Heritage juice was taken out! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif That means he sold it for almost exactly half of what he bought it for. foreheadslap.gifflamed.gifflamed.gif