• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you pronounce Submariner?

How do you pronounce Submariner?  

414 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce Submariner?

64 posts in this topic

Reminds me of when Steve B pronounced Kamandi, Kah mahn dye.

I said no, it's Kah man dee They named it after the Command D space capsule, or something like that.

He just looked at me weird, then again he always looked at me weird.

Sailers on submariners usually pronounce it "sub-mah-REEN-er" but in comic circles I've always heard it pronounced "sub-MARE-iner." Which is correct?

It's correct either way:

[suhb-muh-ree-ner, suhb-mar-uh-ner] per Random House

(sŭb-mə-rē'nər, sŭb'mār'ə-nər) per American Heritage

True according to educators, but it's "sub-MARE-iner." in the comic world :cool:

But Stan Lee pronounces it sub-mah-REEN-er on the GRR Avengers 4. And it don't get much more comic world than Stan The Man.

Stan obviously had hippee lettuce for lunch that day.

:insane:

I said no, it's Kah man dee They named it after the Command D space capsule, or something like that.

It's Kah mahn dee. :whistle:

What do you know, you dont know what a Collection vs a Ped is.

:kidaround:

:hi:

What do you know, you dont know what a Collection vs a Ped is.

:kidaround:

:hi:

I sure did. No one else would believe me. (shrug)

Let's clear up Darkseid while we're at it. It's a cool name either way.

And no, I haven't seen any of the cartoons with him in it.

Dark side.

I always thought it was Dark-seed. (shrug)

I always thought so too, but in the Bruce Timm cartoons it's "Dark Side."

Dark side.

I've always pronounced it "side" as it should be. :sumo:

IIRC, Kirby intended it to be to be “side,” but was fine with people using “seed” because that’s the kind of swell guy he was!

Dark side.

I've always pronounced it "side" as it should be. :sumo:

IIRC, Kirby intended it to be to be “side,” but was fine with people using “seed” because that’s the kind of swell guy he was!

It was pronounced "side" in the Super Powers cartoons. The same ones where Wonder Woman sounded like a transvestite.

It was pronounced "side" in the Super Powers cartoons. The same ones where Wonder Woman sounded like a transvestite.

Don't remember him ever being on that show.

Is this the same as the Justice League cartoon (you know, with Apache Cheif and Wonder Twins) from the early 80's? Or was there a later incarnation of the cartoon?

I'm guessing that there was a second one that I'm not familiar with. Same as the toy line by Kenner, maybe? I remember a Darkseid toy that was a special send away (kinda like Hooded Cobra Commander with GI Joe was).

Is this the same as the Justice League cartoon (you know, with Apache Cheif and Wonder Twins) from the early 80's? Or was there a later incarnation of the cartoon?

I'm guessing that there was a second one that I'm not familiar with. Same as the toy line by Kenner, maybe? I remember a Darkseid toy that was a special send away (kinda like Hooded Cobra Commander with GI Joe was).

Stolen from... http://members.fortunecity.com/classics1/superpowersteam_thedarkseiddeception.html

superpowersteam_thedarkseiddeception01.jpgsuperpowersteam_thedarkseiddeception07.jpgsuperpowersteam_thedarkseiddeception22.jpg

superpowersteam_thedarkseiddeception35.jpgsuperpowersteam_thedarkseiddeception36.jpg

I pronounce Carnage "Carna-jee".

I pronounce Gwen Stacy "gigiddy-gigiddy".