• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you pronounce Submariner?

How do you pronounce Submariner?  

414 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce Submariner?

64 posts in this topic

According to Steranko (quoting Bill Everett) in his "History of Comics", the character's name was inspired by Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner":

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I recalled these lines from the Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge:

'The sun came up upon he left,

Out of the sea came he!

And he shone bright, and on the right

Went down into the sea.'

I called him the Sub-Mariner after the poem and for the name Namor, I simply spelled 'Roman' backwards."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the character's creator quite likely pronounced it "sub-mer-ə-nər".

I read somewhere that Bill Everett hyphenated the spelling (Sub-Mariner) so that people would pronounce it like the sailor, not the submerged warship.

Which only leaves us with Magneto to worry about.

Mag-knee-toe

I used to say it like this sub-mah-REEN-er because I also thought it had something to do with the armed forces. Go Air Force!!!!!!!!! lol

Now I say it like this sub-MARE-iner because I got tired of people correcting me. lol

I read somewhere that Bill Everett hyphenated the spelling (Sub-Mariner) so that people would pronounce it like the sailor, not the submerged warship.

How many different ways are there to say Magneto?

Mag-knee-toe :)

Mag-net-toe :(

I've heard Mag-knee-toe and Mag-net-o.

Personally, I prefer Mag-knee-toe. I figure if it was good enough for Paul McCartney...

How do you pronounce namisgr? Been wondering for years

I haven't a clue. lol

It's my name spelled backwards, and makes life for this old codger easier on these boards in a world of ATM pins, home e-mail names and passwords, work e-mail names and passwords, work site access names and passwords, mutual fund site names and passwords, E-bay names and passwords, brokerage site names and passwords, consignment site names and passwords, X-Box 360 online names and passwords, computer security names and passwords, laboratory computer names and passwords, poker forum names and passwords, investment forum names and passwords, National Institutes of Health commons names and passwords, Elsevier publishing house names and passwords, online legal site names and passwords, etc, etc, etc.

Only the truly important sites are reserved for unique names and passwords.