• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To all who press books

94 posts in this topic

Maybe CGC should just start adding a 'maximum pressed grade' to the label so that all the speculation will end. People would know that the book is a 9.2 but can be pressed to a maximum of 9.6. It would certainly change the way the market operates.

does that mean i can press my asm 129 with for only 10 bucks ??? man that seems cheap

Sure does but what if the presser is amatuer like me. :insane: Then it should only cost $0. :cool:

Brent has been pressing for some time. I'm pretty confident he has it down pat.

Then again there are different levels of difficulty when it comes to pressing. Removing severe spine roll from a golden age book is certainly going to take more skills than a corner bend from a bronze book. Your best course of action is to ask the presser questions about your needs before submission.

I have found great success with joeypost. He has years of experience and I have never paid over ten dollars per book per pressing.

Wow...that's cheap, is that a "friends-only" price or can anybody get this deal ?

I have found great success with joeypost. He has years of experience and I have never paid over ten dollars per book per pressing.

Wow...that's cheap, is that a "friends-only" price or can anybody get this deal ?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

:preach:

I disagree. The book is no longer slabbed and therefore has no business being listed in the census. The book that is represented in the census no longer exists.
Schroedinger's Cat? If the book has been put into the census at a grade, assuming no resubmit, what does it matter to the census if it were cracked? How does anyone know what happens to any of the books that are put into the census?

Once a book is removed from the slab any number of things can happen to it. The census is a representation of graded books in existence. Once it's cracked, it's no longer graded. It is a book that was once graded by CGC and therefore, should not be represented in the census.

It's just that the census is a representation of slabbed books. If it's cracked out, it's no longer a slabbed book.

Ultimately, I don't care. The census is screwed six ways from Sunday anyways. It and the Registry are nothing but sales tools for CGC.

I disagree with this 1000% :insane:

I disagree. The book is no longer slabbed and therefore has no business being listed in the census. The book that is represented in the census no longer exists.
Schroedinger's Cat? If the book has been put into the census at a grade, assuming no resubmit, what does it matter to the census if it were cracked? How does anyone know what happens to any of the books that are put into the census?

Once a book is removed from the slab any number of things can happen to it. The census is a representation of graded books in existence. Once it's cracked, it's no longer graded. It is a book that was once graded by CGC and therefore, should not be represented in the census.

It's just that the census is a representation of slabbed books. If it's cracked out, it's no longer a slabbed book.

Ultimately, I don't care. The census is screwed six ways from Sunday anyways. It and the Registry are nothing but sales tools for CGC.

The census only loses it's accuracy when the book is sent in for a reslab without the label. As long as the label is returned by the time the book is regraded, it's accurate as the book and label are a pair.

Saying anything can happen is no different than possibly getting the label lost in the mail when you try to return it to CGC.

Whenever possible, I like to disagree with both you and DW, but i think DWs position is more defensible. The main product that most consumers are purchasing from CGC is a certified grade, not a plastic slab. Once cracked out, the certified grade is null and void. So while the book still exists, and likely exists in the same exact grade as previously certified, the certified book, for census purposes, is gone. I would prefer if it were taken off the census, so i would know how many of the certified books are really out there. Pie in the sky, i know, but it would help if it were as accurate as it could be.

I'll disagree, and I can understand how we can differ philosophically on this, but I don't have time to get into a long drawn out debate today.

Just a few thoughts.

For me, when I buy a book for my personal collection the plastic around it is incidental.

For CGC it's a method of guaranteeing the grade until the book finds an end user.

Once the end user is found and if the book is cracked, until the book is reslabbed, it's really a non issue because that book goes no where without the label.

As long as the label stays with the book, and it usually does when the book passes from collector to collector, my opinion is that it doesn't matter.

The census is only "wrong" if a book is regraded and the label is not mailed in.

I understand that in the purest sense the census is only supposed to represent books that are in slabs, but in this is not realistic, since comics were made for reading and many books do not stay in their slabs. Rather than looking at the census as the number of books sitting in plastic slabs I have always looked at it as the number of books that have been graded by CGC. As long as the book is traveling with the label it's really one and the same. In the pastic, out of the plastic, the two are together.

ditto what he said . . . :grin:

I agree with this 1000% :insane: