• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Holds The CGC Record?

336 posts in this topic

Maybe it's some "don't need the competition" thing. :gossip: Any other thread and they'd consider it free advertising for the premier services out there. Be bragging about a flood of new work pouring in. :blahblah: Then it's taboo again. :eyeroll:

Classy, Kevin. Very classy indeed.

What's classy is dragging out the 'ol "hidden agenda" scarlet letter right out of the gate.

Look, you can swing right over to the "Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues" forum and view works-in-progress examples or read about how improved and amazing new techniques are becoming. It's not a secret. :gossip:

There's been a gazillion pressing threads that go nowhere. Pressing is for amatures. I'm interested in seeing what MASTER craftsmen can pull off. That's the agenda, and it's not hidden.

What's the point and where's the purpose? The only reason you or someone else wants them is for example purposes. Furthermore, you are already assuming that any before and afters posted are going to be examples of "work done."

It's possible to have two and three grade jumps based strictly on a resubmission. However, there are board members here who think that's worthy of vilification as well.

Why would someone want to open themselves up to that sort of headache? There are plenty of NOD members who press books; solicit them for before and afters.

What's the point and where's the purpose? The only reason you or someone else wants them is for example purposes. Furthermore, you are already assuming that any before and afters posted are going to be examples of "work done."

It's possible to have two and three grade jumps based strictly on a resubmission. However, there are board members here who think that's worthy of vilification as well.

Why would someone want to open themselves up to that sort of headache? There are plenty of NOD members who press books; solicit them for before and afters.

:pullhair: (sigh) The point is to read something interesting. The purpose is to entertain and educate myself.

Maybe it's boring stuff to you. But I think it's fascinating. Viewing examples has a "wow factor" to it. (and if CGC grades can jump three places strictly on a resub, you furnished the very fist "wow". Ready?...Wow!!)

:pullhair: (sigh) The point is to read something interesting. The purpose is to entertain and educate myself.

Maybe it's boring stuff to you. But I think it's fascinating. Viewing examples has a "wow factor" to it. (and if CGC grades can jump three places strictly on a resub, you furnished the very fist "wow". Ready?...Wow!!)

If that's the case, then you can find all the "wow" you need right here.

It's possible to have two and three grade jumps based strictly on a resubmission.

I'd be quite surprised to see an example of a book that jumped three grades based strictly on a resubmission. Anybody actually heard of this?

It's possible to have two and three grade jumps based strictly on a resubmission.

I'd be quite surprised to see an example of a book that jumped three grades based strictly on a resubmission. Anybody actually heard of this?

I've personally had an old red label 9.4 go to 9.8 on a straight resubmission. I'm not sure if you would count that as a two grade jump or a three. I guess it depends on how you count; 9.4 (1), 9.6 (2) and 9.8 (3) or 9.6 (1) and 9.8 (2).

Wouldn't having two and especially three grade bumps show an inconsistency in grading especially if no work has been done on the book?

I've personally had an old red label 9.4 go to 9.8 on a straight resubmission. I'm not sure if you would count that as a two grade jump or a three. I guess it depends on how you count; 9.4 (1), 9.6 (2) and 9.8(3) or 9.6 (1) and 9.8 (2).

But wasn't it said before that CGC's grading back then when red label was used was alot stricter thus why some of the red label books actually get higher grades when resubbed?

I've personally had an old red label 9.4 go to 9.8 on a straight resubmission. I'm not sure if you would count that as a two grade jump or a three. I guess it depends on how you count; 9.4 (1), 9.6 (2) and 9.8(3) or 9.6 (1) and 9.8 (2).

Show before and after pics or I call you KrazyKat. :juggle:

I no longer have them. Long since sold and deleted. So, I guess you'll just have to call me Krazy. :sorry:

I no longer have them. Long since sold and deleted. So, I guess you'll just have to call me Krazy. :sorry:

Krazy Kat.

I warned you.

Maybe it's some "don't need the competition" thing. :gossip: Any other thread and they'd consider it free advertising for the premier services out there. Be bragging about a flood of new work pouring in. :blahblah: Then it's taboo again. :eyeroll:

What's classy is dragging out the 'ol "hidden agenda" scarlet letter right out of the gate.

Look, you can swing right over to the "Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues" forum and view works-in-progress examples or read about how improved and amazing new techniques are becoming. It's not a secret. :gossip:

There's been a gazillion pressing threads that go nowhere. Pressing is for amatures. I'm interested in seeing what MASTER craftsmen can pull off. That's the agenda, and it's not hidden.

The gallery is never worked on any longer. There are somewhere over 1,000 examples that are available to post. You will probably not see the same incarnation of the gallery much longer. The NOD is more interested in showing detailed examples of the positive effects restoration can have for a book. We are more interested in just having a cool reference point for collectors who are unfarmiliar with any work that may have been done to a book. The old pressing ship has sailed and everyone knows the crack and re-submit game.

I saw no agenda. And I couldnt tell you the last time Kevin posted on the NOD forum.

I've personally had an old red label 9.4 go to 9.8 on a straight resubmission. I'm not sure if you would count that as a two grade jump or a three. I guess it depends on how you count; 9.4 (1), 9.6 (2) and 9.8 (3) or 9.6 (1) and 9.8 (2).

9.4 to 9.4 isn't a jump at all, so your book went up two grades.

On any given book I assume a margin of error of one notch. In a smaller percentage of cases I might expect to see two notches; I'd guess that percentage to be around 10% or less. If a book changed by three notches, it'd be very interesting to examine that book. It would most likely have some uncommon defect whose effect on overall grade is controversial.

The gallery is never worked on any longer. There are somewhere over 1,000 examples that are available to post. You will probably not see the same incarnation of the gallery much longer. The NOD is more interested in showing detailed examples of the positive effects restoration can have for a book. We are more interested in just having a cool reference point for collectors who are unfarmiliar with any work that may have been done to a book. The old pressing ship has sailed and everyone knows the crack and re-submit game.

I saw no agenda. And I couldnt tell you the last time Kevin posted on the NOD forum.

Somebody somewhere is keeping notes just waiting for a shift in power. :ohnoez: