• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OFF-TOPIC: Are you a former RPG player?

47 posts in this topic

When I was younger it was comics and RPGs. We played it all, D&D, Heroes (DC Roleplaying), Marvel Super Heroes, Warhammer, Call of Cthulhu, MERPS....

Boardgames were fun to. About every week I would take a trip to Montgomery and purchase used games from this bookstore. We played Talisman, Illiuminati, Warrior Knights, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, etc.

I remember I received Axis and Allies for Christmas. I took it over to my friends house on Christmas Day for a five-hour marathon. One of my friends was really into WWII Germany (he wasn't a Nazi or anything, he just studied the tactics and strategy of their army). Well, the Allies one the day. The US loaded up on bombers, went west off the board to bomb Japan, then kept going until they reached Berlin. Boy, was he ticked. 27_laughing.gif

After, that I had to have Shogun as well. Fun game. I loved hiring the Ninja, even though the strategy hardly ever paid off.

A Line in the Sand (TSR's Desert Storm game) was fun, only because it allowed the use of those secret diplomatic pouches that you could pass messages back and forth in. We exchanged messages across the table about one of my friend's sisters for about an hour before he figured out what was going on.

Of course, the game itself quickly disintegrated when Israel and the US tagged up to nuke territory in Iraq, Syria, and Iran. Good thing WE didn't run the country during that time. grin.gif

Fun memories!

Anyone else have any gaming stories to share?

RPG stories - not really. Although I have definitely played my fair share of Axis and Allies and Risk (does that count?).

There was this one game that we had for the computer that for the life of me I can't remember the name (it was a mac if that helps) but basically you were this one planet and in the course of "40" turns you had to build your army, advance your society and capture the whole world! I don't play Civ, but my brother tells me I have to try it, but I would imagine it was very similar to that.

By far my favorite nintendo games (8 bit baby!) were legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior (btw - if anyone has a link to a NES emulator that is free (i'm cheap) and will let me SAVE games that would rock! I think I have RockNES and I can't save. It's tought playing LOZ or DW when you can't save! frown.gif )

I am proud to say that FINALLY after seriously trying for over 10 years (not straight years, but you know what I mean), I beat Legend of Zelda on my emulator. It was a glorious day for me.

I do play a lot of board games. I can't tell you how many times I've had friends over and we've busted out the old Monopoly board or the Scrabble board and played for hours and hours. I also really enjoy Clue and Trivial Pursuit. My crowning moment ever in Trivial Pursuit was one of the questions asked which of Batman's nemesises killed Robin - A Death in the Family!! my collecting specialty! cloud9.gif

Great idea for an OT thread! 893applaud-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

Monopoly is a no-no in my parents house.

A few years back, my parents, my sister and me played a game. My dad ended up buying Boardwalk and Park Place. He sets up hotels and everything....and no one lands on them! This goes on for like an hour and a half. My mother finally hits Boardwalk, my father starts laughing, mom throws all her cash across the board at him, gets up and leaves the room. Game over.

My sister had a boyfriend over, who was watching. After that episode, he never came back. grin.gif

Legend of Zelda held me in it's thrall for quite a while. That's the one where you flip back and forth into two differenct worlds...right? Very, very trippy!

I'm thinking of the first one where you had to go to 8 different levels and get the triforce before battling Gannon!

God, do I love that game cloud9.gif

Never could get into RPG table games. A friend’s wife tried to get us into it, but we couldn’t take it seriously and every action turned into sex, fart or dork jokes. She quickly gave up and my new dice went into the box of bad ideas.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a dork. However, it has boundaries. When RPG people came into the shops (wearing capes and saying phrases like “I can only carry so much gold at any given time”) I felt God created them so us comic geeks would have someone to pick on.

Never could get into RPG table games. A friend’s wife tried to get us into it, but we couldn’t take it seriously and every action turned into sex, fart or dork jokes. She quickly gave up and my new dice went into the box of bad ideas.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a dork. However, it has boundaries. When RPG people came into the shops (wearing capes and saying phrases like “I can only carry so much gold at any given time”) I felt God created them so us comic geeks would have someone to pick on.

Okay, now who remembers the made for tv movie starring Tom Hanks where he becomes obsessed with D&D and almost harms himself because he can no longer separate fantasy from reality?

As for Axis and Allies and the like... we used to play multiple day games back in college... for money. Of course, that all ended when one day one of my roommates took a risk board and tried to assault one of the players because he made a "stupid move" costing him the game. then we just played poker for hours on end.

Are you a former RPG player?

No!

Not a former, still a gamer! thumbsup2.gif

Playing a good RPG is like reading a book/comic, only you are helping write the story.

D&D, Top Secret, and Boothill during my elementary and middle school years. Late middle school and high school was all about Nuclear Risk. That game was the original version of Risk with some of our own rules applied to make it more fun. Let's just say that Monopoly Hotels were never so destructive......it all ended when the gang discovered Axis and Allies....and girls.

thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gifflamed.gif

That is sad...

I only play a few RPG video games.

Karsten Krul, Protector of the Forest, current custodian of the Vesve Sword, 14th level Ranger present!

I played DND throughout middle school, then dropped it for 10 years before getting back into it after graduating from college. After getting a real job, I met some guys that played and we got together once a month or so for 5 or 6 years, but haven't played much at all lately as our DM moved to DC. When he first moved, we used to roadtrip up there after lunch on fridays and play non-stop until hitting the road before dark on Sundays...I think some of those guys are still playing together "on line".

Used to like Runequest, tried a few others but they all seemed inferior in comparison. That was about 15-20 years ago.

Still like boardgames, but not much opportunity nowadays. My favourite was a thing called Britannia and I'd love to get hold of a copy, because agin, this was about 15 years ago.

At the time, we had a once a week session on Sundays, which ran from about 2.0pm until about 5.0am. Being unemployed was great in those days. cloud9.gif

That was a true story, but it happened in a video game store. A friend of mine is a game fanatic and I was shopping with him when 2 girls in capes walked in holding the gold conversation.

A few years later, I began to play Everquest. The day an expansion was released, I decided to go and pick it up during my lunch break. The place was filled with these type of people. As I approached the clerk with my Everquest game in hand, I felt probably the same way many men do when buying their wives “time of the month” products. I wanted to hide it like a Playboy or something.