• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OFF-TOPIC: Are you a former RPG player?

47 posts in this topic

Started playing RPGs in 8th grade (1977), with one called, I think, Labrynth. Kind of a simplified D&D. Quickly 'graduated' to D&D, and played that fanatically for maybe 3 years. Among the more interesting D&D games I participated in was one at our high school (this was in Mendocino, CA, true 'artsy/hippie' country), involving about 25 students and several teachers. Well, of course we tracked down and killed the teachers' characters pretty quickly wink.gif

Also played Traveler, the hardest, most complex RPG I've ever encountered. It took weeks just to develop your character and outfit a spaceship. Played numerous computer-based RPGs and videogames, including Temple of Apshai, a very early Apple II game, SunDog, a sci-fi RPG on the Atari ST system, and of course things like Gauntlet in the arcade.

Then got into Magic when the game first came out - very cool game, basically boiling down the melee portions of D&D into wizard-to-wizard battles that take 5-30 minutes each.

I also worked for a couple of computer games makers, including the company that did the original NeverWinter Nights massively multiplayer RPG for AOL back in the early '90s. Also worked at Total Entertainment Network when they offered some of the earliest multiplayer RPGs like AD&D: Dark Sun Crimson Sands, Master of Orion II, Twilight Lands, and others.

Now I play Diablo II fairly frequently, and am eagerly awaiting the third installment...

Great stories!

I always liked Call of Cthulhu because I was an HP Lovecraft fan. I always had to be GM because none of my friends owned the game. Never really got into it good, because my friends didn't care for the whole 'we can't beat them, all we can do is go insane' game play.

Oh, and the Tom Hanks movie was "Mazes and Monsters." I remember when that 'Fear D&D' craze was going around with parents. My father told me if I came home casting spells, he was throwing everything out. smile.gif

My first AD&D game (and introduction to roleplaying) was in the eighth grade, I believe. I and five of my friends played the game in a spare room in my friend's father's office. He was the DM. It lasted for six or seven hours. We ate pizza and coke. I was a ninja, because the Oriental Adventures supplement had just come out and that's what I wanted to be. (In the 80s, every kid was ninja crazy). Three of us were first level and two of us were high levels. We ended up fighting Orcus at the end of the game (if you know anything about AD&D first edition rules, Orcus was a kick Demon-Lord).

Man, that was exciting. It was a great game! Nothing like your first RPG experience!

Used to love the Ultima series too... although I wasn't that impressed with VI, thought V and VII were excellent... couldn't get into Ultima online...

switched from ultima to heroes of might and magic... a great turn based game.

Started playing D&D back around '74 or '75 when it first came out (and a predecessor it was loosely based on 'Chainmail'). Played in college and for a few years afterwards. Great times when you are young and single and can play stupid games all night long. Ahhh it was fun! My character was Elrond the 1/5 Elven. Had a finger permanently dyed day-glow green (result of a tragic and best forgotten magical 'accident'). When I would become invisible the finger would still be visible floating around. Our two most often repeated lines to the DM: "Be vewey, vewy quiiieeet." and the ever popular "RUN AWAY!".

Had a hobbit buddy named Spam. He had a little hobbit crossbow that he was always using to pi$$ people off by shooting them in the butt. Somehow he wound up being best buds with Odin (LONG story). Whenever anyone would bother his little buddy, he would send Thor down to bop them with that hammer of his.

Our favorite goddess: Issica of the Jugs. She served a never ending flagon of wine and had enormous....well you get the picture.

It was all about comics and RPG's when I was a kid. I started playing D&D about 1977 and didnt really give up AD&D until 1995. I played the same character from 1979 until 1995 (he lasted through 3 gaming groups). Last year I put up a web page of the character to be used as source material for other folks campaigns (If you want to take a look, Here is the Link )

I owned and played all the RPG's of the day; AD&D, Runequest, Champions, Boot Hill, Gamma World, Top Secret, Gangbusters, Traveller, etc etc. I played all the early computer games as well, starting with Wizardry on an Apple 2E. Although I tried out Ultima Online and Everquest when they came out, I didnt stick with them, seems like a bit of a waste of time these days...

Tecmo Bowl was great! Bo Jackson was un-stoppable!

Chris

Ahh, Techmo Bowl. So cool, 4 plays to choose from. Two running, two pass. Of course, being in high school from 1987-1991 a buddy of mine and I played it all the time. Our "thing" back then was to reverse the first letters of two word phrases around sometimes. For example, Message Boards would be pronounced "Bessage Moards".

One day during a heated Techmo Bowl matchup, my Mom was doing the laundry when my buddy yelled out "Damnit, why did I punt kick"? Of course, he switched the first letters of "Punt" and "Kick" around. You can imagine what it sounded like... shocked.gifblush.gif

Back to the RPG side for a moment... Did any of your D&Ders every play any of the massive "module" from the Judge's Guild called "The City of the Invincible Overlord"? An incredible large and exhaustive/exhausting campaign that included a gigantic map of the City, with roughly 1,000 structures populated with NPCs?

Also, if you're into the roots of D&D, you should check out a book by Jack Vance, the greatest sci-fi/fantasy author you've never heard of, called "The Dying Earth." That book HAD to be the single greatest inspiration for Gygax and the other D&D creators. It introduced at least two dozen monsters/creatures that were staples of the Monster Manual, like gelatinous cubes, beholders, etc. etc.

Jack Vance also wrote one of the best sci-fi series ever, "The Demon Prince" series - garthgantu-bob says 'check it out!'

Did any of your D&Ders every play any of the massive "module" from the Judge's Guild called "The City of the Invincible Overlord"?

I think I remember that.. boxed set wasn't it? It was an excellent resource. I still remember the Middle Earth Role Playing modues as the best game supplements ever. The level of detail was just fantastic.

For you ex D & D'ers, I'd recommend the PC games Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. These games are based on D & D rules & take place in the Forgotten Realms. You create your own character & go on an epic adventure. The scope & story are amazing. It took me 6 months to finish BG 2 + the Expansion. You fight all these incredible beasts & pick up useful armor, weapons along the way. You meet NPCs too & can add up to 5 to join your party. I think BG 2 is widely regarded as one of the best PC RPGs ever. thumbsup2.gif

Did any of your D&Ders every play any of the massive "module" from the Judge's Guild called "The City of the Invincible Overlord"?

I think I remember that.. boxed set wasn't it? It was an excellent resource. I still remember the Middle Earth Role Playing modues as the best game supplements ever. The level of detail was just fantastic.

I sort of remember the City of the Invincible Overlord. Also, you are correct the MERPS mods rocked! I kind of recall starting to play the Minds of Moria adventure, but the DM sort of sucked and everyone went outside to play football instead.

Right close by though were the Warhammer supplements, which included their 'Enemy Within' campaign. Never got to play it though.

Some fave D&D mods? 'Throne of Bloodstone' (High level everything!), plus I loved the World of Greyhawk. 'Vecna Lives', 'Rary the Traitor,' good stuff.

BoC: I remember seeing Baldur's Gate when it first appeared... weren't they DOS-based? I have trouble running some DOS games under Windows XP...

I'd love to track down any of the original Baldur's Gate titles and see if they'll work on my PC. Can you get 'em for free now, as shareware or freeware of some kind? Or is there a Windows-optimized version available at retail?

BoC: I remember seeing Baldur's Gate when it first appeared... weren't they DOS-based? I have trouble running some DOS games under Windows XP...

I'd love to track down any of the original Baldur's Gate titles and see if they'll work on my PC. Can you get 'em for free now, as shareware or freeware of some kind? Or is there a Windows-optimized version available at retail?

Maybe when BG 1 first came out in '98 but I played both BG 1 & 2 on my PC which is running XP. Ran smooth no problems at all. I'd imagine you could get them for free. I think they can be bought fairly cheap at Amazon.com. Try tracking them down somehow, you won't regret it! And don't forget the Expansions too. The Expansion for BG 1 has an add-on dungeon called "Durlag's Tower"--freaking unbelievable. My party was devastated many times over in that place, 6 or 7 levels or sheer terror! flamed.gif