• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change one thing about CGC's grading or policies....

124 posts in this topic

If it can be determined that a book is a resub, give it the exact grade that it received the first time (or lower), no matter what "improvements" have been made on the book since then.

This would insure that no one ever sent a label back in and would really f up the census even more than the amount of "anonymous" resubs already does. Plus it would insure that tons of Pedigree designations are lost to the ages.

Not really, particularly for books with distinctive markings such as MHs and WMs. When CGC saw one of those books being resubbed, they'd be able to do a quick check against their records and scan database and if they saw they'd graded it previously, then no higher grade could be given.

Plus, they should get software that is able to do a comparison of any newly submitted books against books in their database, and if they strongly believe it's the same book, then again no higher grade could be given.

The point that you're missing is that this would largely kill off the crack-and-resub game, rather than just cause people to try to hide their resubs better.

So a book that is truly a higher grade (pressed or not) can never be better than the original grade it was given the first time it was submitted? Even if it was undergraded the first time around.

hm

Think of it as incentive for CGC to just get it right the first time, rather than spending all their time fixing their previous mistakes.

Whether CGC intended for this result or not, I like how the purple label has stigmatized restored books.

It's created a disproportional relationship between what the book actually is and the way it's valued. People are catching on but really, should a book that is 99% identical to a non restored once fetch 1/4 to 1/2 of the non restored books value?

That to me is ridiculous.

I'll take it all day long since right now I can get my big books for a fraction of what they will be worth one day, but it is not right in my opinion.

I don't understand why there's even an issue.

The collectors who like restored books should be delighted, because they're able to pick up restored books at a fraction of what they claim to be their real value.

The collectors who hate restored books should also be delighted, because restored books are being properly stigmatized and hopefully deterring people from restoring books for purely cosmetic purposes.

Seems like a win-win situation to me. (shrug)

Unless, let's say, you were a GA collector in the 80's and 90's and send a bunch of, let's say, "Fine" type books in that turn out to have tiny CT that didn't even raise the perceived grade (and if it was a small stray pen mark, wouldn't lower the perceived grade, let's say) you don't know this, get the book slabbed and now it's "worth" 75% less than if CGC decided the CT was, in fact, a stray pen mark and thus just counted it as a defect. Doesn't it seem a little silly that if you have a small corner of the back cover that has tiny CT you get a PLOD, but if you simply rip that tiny corner off (don't cut it with a scissor, because that might look like a trim), the book may have the same grade or only go down .2 (if small enough) or whatever?

It doesn't even have to be GA for a collector to have to go through that wonderful experience. I had some mid-grade SA and a GSX 1 that I bought in the mid-80s from Gerry Ross (the crook), which all turned out to have CT when I submitted to CGC around 2002. Given the grades of these books, I can't imagine the CT improved the grade one bit.

The cases you're talking about are such a small minority that it doesn't make sense to change the perception just to accomodate the small minority. Most CT or restoration doesn't happen in such a discrete and easily excisable part of the book. It's just the way the cookie crumbles.