• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change one thing about CGC's grading or policies....

124 posts in this topic

What would it be?

For me, I would like to see non-archival tape be considered amateur restoration. I think it's it's a real problem that there are sometimes cases where there is a financial incentive to put harmful tape on a book.

Put more notes on the label, put the alphabetical grade on the label, get a new design for the slab, differentiate between conservation and restoration with a new coloured label for the former and a bunch of other stuff that's escaping me at the moment

Put more notes on the label, put the alphabetical grade on the label, get a new design for the slab, differentiate between conservation and restoration with a new coloured label for the former and a bunch of other stuff that's escaping me at the moment
So, you are basically fine with the system now :insane:

If it can be determined that a book is a resub, give it the exact grade that it received the first time (or lower), no matter what "improvements" have been made on the book since then.

Be harder on PQ. White pages should mean something.

Tighten up on grading. 9.4 should mean something. 9.6 should be almost unobtainable. 9.8 should be a myth.

If it can be determined that a book is a resub, give it the exact grade that it received the first time (or lower), no matter what "improvements" have been made on the book since then.

Be harder on PQ. White pages should mean something.

Tighten up on grading. 9.4 should mean something. 9.6 should be almost unobtainable. 9.8 should be a myth.

I have owned plenty of BA-CA 9.8s. But SA 9.8s should be near impossible, and 9.6s should be tough. But all those gift grades will just kill value in time.

List paper quality in their census.

Paper quality is huge to me and knowing how many white pagers are out there would be a big help!

(thumbs u

Listing pedigrees in the Census would be great too.

List paper quality in their census.

Paper quality is huge to me and knowing how many white pagers are out there would be a big help!

(thumbs u

Listing pedigrees in the Census would be great too.

That would never happen. It would kill resubs.

In my opinion CGC has done a poor job in maintaining the top end of the grading curve. It still bothers me that a book with Cream pages can be a 9.8...or that there can be writing or date stamps on these books. That doesn't compute with me. Not to mention regsistration issues on 9.6 let alone 9.8 books. A 9.8 book should be a damn near perfect specimen...not what CGC is churning out.

But at the end of the day it's important to realize that they're running a business first and acting as a partner in the hobby second. Once again adds to the buy the book thinking not the slab!

They really, REALLY need to stop giving foxing a break. There is absolutely zero reason that foxing should be all but ignored and staining should be hammered. That's where they are now and it's beyond stupid.

So what would 9.9 and 10.0 be then? Beyond mythical and waaaaay beyond mythical? 9.9 and 10.0 being fairly mythical seems pretty good as is.