• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

portable black light

15 posts in this topic

So I had 2 books back from CGC recently with a purple (slight Professional CT on cover) label. It bugged the hell out of me. One of them was obvious to spot even in the slab so it was my inexperience but the other one was impossible to tell even after I cracked the slab and using magnifier to look up and down the spine.

I went on amazon and bought this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VS6BRC/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

I like the fact that it is portable and it took a little bit to get use to looking at book using the device but I was able to spot the tiny color touches on the books that my naked eyes can't see. The CTs were 3 hair size width CTs that were barely 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch on the edge of the spine.

For those who wants to do some quick screen, I think this was a decent option.

There is a lot of resto work that will NOT show up with a black light so don't use it as the silver bullet.

Most resto is detectable with the naked eye once you get used to looking for it. I'm pretty sure that most resto detected at CGC is done with the naked eye as well.

I have a small portable black light that looks like a mini flashlight. It helped out considerably at the Baltimore convention. 3 books I would have normally purchased had some minor CT that the light illuminated.

Granted, it does not work on black CT. I keep a magnifying glass for that. I spent under $50 for it and it has already paid for itself.

yes, it is not the silver bullet. I used it to prescreen CT only. And for high price books, I don't mind spending $3 for Classic to look it over.

With this device, I spotted a few potential CTs in my books that I wanted to submit next month so now instead of just shipping them to CGC, they will go the Classic first.

Primary wavelength of UV output is 395 nM.

Was referring to longwave vs shortwave and which is used?

I used to use longwave. Do take care with shortwave due to potential eye damage.

Thanks.