• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don't love this

6 posts in this topic

If I'm reading this auction listing correctly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARIO-GULLY-ANT-1-COVER_W0QQitemZ320445146079QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9c04e3df

-- Mario Gully drew his original cover to ANT #1...then, to "celebrate Ant's success", made a pen-and-ink copy from the original that is "completely identical to original cover".

If Gully sold his original original cover, doesn't this diminish that cover's value? And...somewhere down the line...doesn't this have the potential to confuse/deceive future buyers of the artwork? (Frankly, I don't see how creating a duplicate cover "celebrates" success, either.)

Finally -- is this kind of thing happening more often than I realize?

If I'm reading this auction listing correctly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARIO-GULLY-ANT-1-COVER_W0QQitemZ320445146079QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9c04e3df

-- Mario Gully drew his original cover to ANT #1...then, to "celebrate Ant's success", made a pen-and-ink copy from the original that is "completely identical to original cover".

If Gully sold his original original cover, doesn't this diminish that cover's value? And...somewhere down the line...doesn't this have the potential to confuse/deceive future buyers of the artwork? (Frankly, I don't see how creating a duplicate cover "celebrates" success, either.)

Finally -- is this kind of thing happening more often than I realize?

It looks like it's dated '09, but it's pretty small on the scan to see clearly.

It's pretty common for an artist to recreate their own covers, and there is no problem with it as long as they identify it as a recreation. Bob Layton does this and he clearly identifies the piece as a recreation every time.

If the artist doesn't ID the piece at all it's wrong. Most of them get it right.

You know, I didn't even see this as a recreation since it isn't labeled as such. Hmmm.

I read ANT #1 cvr! at the top of the piece, read the eBay listing title (MARIO GULLY ANT #1 COVER) from "Gullyrep", and couldn't, really, read the '09 on the signature.

A problem, maybe, when you're looking at a laptop's small screen. It wouldn't have been a problem, though, if the auction had been labeled as a recreation in the same large print that labeled it as the #1 cover.

You know, I didn't even see this as a recreation since it isn't labeled as such. Hmmm.

I read ANT #1 cvr! at the top of the piece, read the eBay listing title (MARIO GULLY ANT #1 COVER) from "Gullyrep", and couldn't, really, read the '09 on the signature.

A problem, maybe, when you're looking at a laptop's small screen. It wouldn't have been a problem, though, if the auction had been labeled as a recreation in the same large print that labeled it as the #1 cover.

Oh I agree. I was talking in general terms about the piece and about recreations in general.

The artist has to be completely upfront and disclose that it's a recreation, as well as identify it as such on the piece.

Best,

Chris

PS. I referred to Bob Layton before. He created this for me, shot from the original art, when I lost out on a shot at acquiring the original piece. He clearly marked the year which identifies it was a recreation.

layton_im132coverrec.jpg

Oh I agree. I was talking in general terms about the piece and about recreations in general.

The artist has to be completely upfront and disclose that it's a recreation, as well as identify it as such on the piece.

Best,

Chris

PS. I referred to Bob Layton before. He created this for me, shot from the original art, when I lost out on a shot at acquiring the original piece. He clearly marked the year which identifies it was a recreation.

layton_im132coverrec.jpg

Awesome cover.. lucky you!! Im very jealous!

DON'T love it either.

A couple of years back I saw a Cover I own being auctioned off on eBay. I obviously had a WTF moment and emailed the artist. One cover got lost in the mail so it had to be re-drawn (line for line (shrug) ).

Why redraw the same exact cover? Why not change something (hand/arm position) so when held next to the published book it can clearly be seen it is not the OA for that book? :mad: