• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality or Grade

Grade or Page Quality  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Grade or Page Quality

53 posts in this topic

It looks like the community is split almost 50-50 based on the poll for whether grade or page quality is most important. I most say I am a little surprised by the fact it is almost split down the middle.

Not that it is by any means final but the 8.0 is at $2,700 right now and the 8.5 at $2,200.

I suppose the 8.0 should have been pressed to see if its grade could be improved and the 8.5 resubmitted to see if it got a better page quality designation and higher grade.

I guess the other seller of the book and I are content to have sold them as is, perhaps we will see both back at a later date after having been optomized. With the $27,000 + buyers premium that the 9.2 in the Mound City auction got I was was almost wishing I had sent my book to be optomized instead of having already sent it to ComicLink to sell before the Mound City auction.

Roy is correct ComicLink does all the scanning for their auctions. I don't think they manipulate any of the scans and to imply they do is to make a pretty big acqusation. The books I have bought from them in the past have looked like they did in their scans and I can say the scan of my GL that they have up right now is representative of the book.

So I'm guess the 8.0 is yours? It looks like an accurately graded 8.0. I wouldn't worry about the possibility of upgrade.

It looks like the community is split almost 50-50 based on the poll for whether grade or page quality is most important. I most say I am a little surprised by the fact it is almost split down the middle.

Not that it is by any means final but the 8.0 is at $2,700 right now and the 8.5 at $2,200.

I suppose the 8.0 should have been pressed to see if its grade could be improved and the 8.5 resubmitted to see if it got a better page quality designation and higher grade.

I guess the other seller of the book and I are content to have sold them as is, perhaps we will see both back at a later date after having been optomized. With the $27,000 + buyers premium that the 9.2 in the Mound City auction got I was was almost wishing I had sent my book to be optomized instead of having already sent it to ComicLink to sell before the Mound City auction.

Roy is correct ComicLink does all the scanning for their auctions. I don't think they manipulate any of the scans and to imply they do is to make a pretty big acqusation. The books I have bought from them in the past have looked like they did in their scans and I can say the scan of my GL that they have up right now is representative of the book.

So I'm guess the 8.0 is yours? It looks like an accurately graded 8.0. I wouldn't worry about the possibility of upgrade.

Nope the 8.5 is mine. It was discussed maybe 3 or 4 months ago on the Green Lantern Silver Age thread that I should either resubmit the book and hope for a better PQ or that some form of pressing could somehow optimize the PQ (I'm not a chemistry guy so don't ask me how).

As I have not sold a book for 15 years and wanted to test the water to see how this whole selling over the internet worked and with Green Lantern being hot I figured this was a good book to do it with. Having to learn pressing and wait for the resubmission times seemed like too much to worry about on top of just a straight sale although it would not surprise me to see the book for sale again after being optimized or with better PQ.

I actually offered the book to JerryZ on the boards for a song back in May as he was looking for a GL #1 and it is sort of a "black sheep" book in my slab collection that does not really fit. He decided that it was higher grade than he needed - I'll not reveal the price but I bet he is really kicking himself now.

I agree with you that the 8 is accurately graded. Structurally I think the 8.5 would have graded out at 9.2 (+/- 1 grade) had it not had the LT-OW pages designation but as I am the seller one should make up their own mind.

In my experience, CGC is usually pretty sticky with PQ once they get into a "tan" page quality range...meaning they don't call it tan lightly. I have yet to see a tan (or light tan) book come back better on a resub.

Having said that, I have seen light tan books with a lot of nice off white in the pages and only a little bit of tan on the edges.

Pressing can't change the PQ...somebody didn't know what they were talking about.

Wish I would have known you were selling that book. I'd have bought it in an instant.

Tim laughed at me when I said the Mound copy would go for mid $20's.

What does he know about high grade DC?

lol

Good luck.

In my experience, CGC is usually pretty sticky with PQ once they get into a "tan" page quality range...meaning they don't call it tan lightly. I have yet to see a tan (or light tan) book come back better on a resub.

Having said that, I have seen light tan books with a lot of nice off white in the pages and only a little bit of tan on the edges.

Pressing can't change the PQ...somebody didn't know what they were talking about.

Wish I would have known you were selling that book. I'd have bought it in an instant.

Tim laughed at me when I said the Mound copy would go for mid $20's.

What does he know about high grade DC?

lol

Good luck.

I'm not going to be surprised if the 8.5 breaks 6K, which would be a good deal for a 9.2 in an 8.5 slab.....it'll keep the PQ rating...but will almost certainly hit 9.0 on resubmission.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Personally I try and avoid cream or light tan books if possible I prefer books that are Off-White or better. However it depends on the book many harder to find issues in the GA may have cream pages. As far as the Grade on the books you showed I would take the White page 8.0 if it was going into my personal collection a .5 difference isnt that big of a difference to me

The 8.5 looks a lot more "press-able" than the 8.0 so .................. 10_1_132.gif

That might be a consideration for the buyer hm

A CGC book will never grade higher than 8.5 with lt/ow pages. They don't allow that PQ in the NM range (VF/NM or higher). I had a 9.6 book that was "stuck" at 8.5 because of the PQ. I tried resubbing the book 3 times to see if they would budge. No luck.

I have yet to see a tan (or light tan) book come back better on a resub.

Next time we meet up, I'll be sure to bring my Hulk #181.

Went from LT-OW to straight OW after a press and resub.

Read the SC#22 thread in Silver Age. Rick (Tec27) says exactly this when I brought up my Hulk #181. He said the PQ does not reflect just the "color" but the quality of the pages, and that my pressing of the Hulk #181 may have been the reason for the dramatic bump in PQ. I don't agree with that, but he stated it quite a few times. The thread is pretty long, but the posts I'm talking about would've been probably early September date.

I know you're not supposed to take isolated incidents as the gospel, but that single resub was enough to convince me that the premiums paid on higher PQ copies are a little too high. And made me more than a little happy with the CR/OW books I've bought over the years that looked better than a higher PQ copy that I could've bought instead (my ASM #59, for instance...I took a CR/OW book over quite a few higher PQ copies because it presented better).

The 8.5 looks a lot more "press-able" than the 8.0 so .................. 10_1_132.gif

A CGC book will never grade higher than 8.5 with lt/ow pages. They don't allow that PQ in the NM range (VF/NM or higher). I had a 9.6 book that was "stuck" at 8.5 because of the PQ. I tried resubbing the book 3 times to see if they would budge. No luck.

Then how can CGC defend giving that WOLVERINE #1 a 10.0 when it has OW-W pages?

If ever PQ should limit a book's numerical grade, that was the one.

Then how can CGC defend giving that WOLVERINE #1 a 10.0 when it has OW-W pages?

If ever PQ should limit a book's numerical grade, that was the one.

My comment was specifically for a lt/ow book. Not an ow/w book.

I have never seen a book with light tan to off white pages grade higher than an 8.5.