• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Serious Question - how do you afford these books?

131 posts in this topic

I sell blood. You can make a small fortune if you remember to make

the circut of 4 or 5 donation centers over a monthly period.

I've thought about this. Seriously. I'm a big guy, but otherwise healthy with no risk factors, and won't miss a pint or two of blood here and there. Maybe it will help me lose some weight? I don't like needles, but I can get over that.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere in NY to sell one's blood. And I don't think there is a place in NJ.

$15 a pint here, they flip it to the local hospitals for $45. Quite the return.

$15 a pint hardly seems worth the hassle. I thought it was $30-$50 a session. Oh well.

I sell blood. You can make a small fortune if you remember to make

the circut of 4 or 5 donation centers over a monthly period.

I've thought about this. Seriously. I'm a big guy, but otherwise healthy with no risk factors, and won't miss a pint or two of blood here and there. Maybe it will help me lose some weight? I don't like needles, but I can get over that.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere in NY to sell one's blood. And I don't think there is a place in NJ.

$15 a pint here, they flip it to the local hospitals for $45. Quite the return.

I give blood to the Red Cross 6X a year and get a nice cool beer at the end each time...works for me (thumbs u

And not everyone collects uber high grade Bronze and before. EVERYTHING else, including high grade late Bronze and later, has fallen.

And not everyone pays much attention to slab collecting either. Many a collector's sweet spot is the $5-$35 book.* If a slab costs that little, it was mistake to put in a slab anyway.

* - Selling low grade GA super hero comics (and SA keys) almost proves the point. Get below Fair or Fair/Good, which for may issues is going to get you under $35 in guide, and you will find a lot of people paying guide, close to guide and even above guide simply because they can afford it and it's the only way they can get these books. And this even goes for not THAT hard to find stuff like Captain Marvel/Whiz and mainstream DCs. Obviously there needs to be SOME scarcity to achieve these prices, but nothing needs to be "rare".

It's all about priorities. Mine happens to be GA comics and my collection.

My wife and I have no kids, work in comics, have little debt, and I have a collection that goes back two decades that I have been slowly trading/selling up.

Plus I don't have the latest video games, new cell phone, or a new car. I buy things at JCP or Target or CostCo not Macy's or Nordstrom.

I get my new comics and other review swag free or close to it. We watch movies on NetFlix and eat out at places like Burgerville less than once a week.

Of course I also don't have a 401k or SEP IRA. (shrug)

And not everyone collects uber high grade Bronze and before. EVERYTHING else, including high grade late Bronze and later, has fallen.

And not everyone pays much attention to slab collecting either. Many a collector's sweet spot is the $5-$35 book.* If a slab costs that little, it was mistake to put in a slab anyway.

* - Selling low grade GA super hero comics (and SA keys) almost proves the point. Get below Fair or Fair/Good, which for may issues is going to get you under $35 in guide, and you will find a lot of people paying guide, close to guide and even above guide simply because they can afford it and it's the only way they can get these books. And this even goes for not THAT hard to find stuff like Captain Marvel/Whiz and mainstream DCs. Obviously there needs to be SOME scarcity to achieve these prices, but nothing needs to be "rare".

I have boxes and boxes and boxes of VG Silver Age comics that I paid $3-$25 for.

I would be ecstatic if I owned a complete set of everything Gold and Silver in VG.

Few things would make me happier.

And few things are more depressing than a $20 VG book in a slab. :(

Slab the 9.4s, the 9.6s, the 9.8s....but keep the VGs free to read.... :cloud9:

(yes, people, I know you can break them out. But you pay more just for the privelege.)