• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For my esteemed Colleagues . . .

16 posts in this topic

Nice comic! I'd revise the listing and say "Probable 9.6". Getting 9.8s from CGC is more about luck and what the graders had for lunch than being able to tell the difference IMO. And at the end of the day, it's their call not yours......

Jim

Nice book. I'm not sure what to make of the piece hanging off of the bottom right hand corner (looks like a bindery tear?) and the upper right hand corner looks a little soft (especially from the back- where it's on the left) for a 9.8, but it's still a nice book.

Nice comic! I'd revise the listing and say "Probable 9.6". Getting 9.8s from CGC is more about luck and what the graders had for lunch than being able to tell the difference IMO. And at the end of the day, it's their call not yours......

Jim

Thanks, I am not concerned about what CGC would grade the book, as I have no intention of submitting a book whose fair market value is less than twice the cost of grading - it makes no economic sense.

Nice book. I'm not sure what to make of the piece hanging off of the bottom right hand corner (looks like a bindery tear?) and the upper right hand corner looks a little soft (especially from the back- where it's on the left) for a 9.8, but it's still a nice book.

Thanks. The nib you see on the BRHC is a tiny extra piece of newsprint on an internal page (<1mm) left attached, because I don't mess with my books.

The perceived softness to the URHC, I believe is due to the scanner treatment of the color. A perfect example of viewing scans versus the real thing in hand.

Personally I would never grade a book 9.8 unless it was slabbed. You're setting up expectations that may be unrealistic. With the slightly soft corner and what looks like it may be a tiny chip below the woman's knee, there is no way this hits 9.8. 9.6 is possible, but probably 9.4 is more realistic.

Rookies may look at it and bite, but experienced collectors are probably going to see it more as sales hype than an actual grade. And the BSDs that actually bid on slabbed 9.8s won't even look at it.

In the few auctions I do, I always try to grade conservatively... perhaps even .5 below what I really think it is. I'd rather have a customer pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck!

Please give me your most welcome thoughts on this book:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35761&item=2220255844

-divad

p.s. This is not intended to be a solicitation of any sort.

Nice looking front of the book looks to be 9.4 minimum maybe 9.6 Hows the back?

Davidking623

-divad

Davidking623

DK - The link to the back cover is in the ad.

Personally I would never grade a book 9.8 unless it was slabbed. You're setting up expectations that may be unrealistic. With the slightly soft corner and what looks like it may be a tiny chip below the woman's knee, there is no way this hits 9.8. 9.6 is possible, but probably 9.4 is more realistic.

Rookies may look at it and bite, but experienced collectors are probably going to see it more as sales hype than an actual grade. And the BSDs that actually bid on slabbed 9.8s won't even look at it.

In the few auctions I do, I always try to grade conservatively... perhaps even .5 below what I really think it is. I'd rather have a customer pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck!

Thanks for your well articulated comments. What's a BSD? Not to brag, but all of my customers are pleasantly surprised all the time. Check this one out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33812&item=2221318592

I believe this one is sharp enough for you. Thanks again.

BSD - B ig S winging D ick, referring to the big money "players" in the comic market.

And by the way, you don't have to apologize for soliciting your auctions. Any time you want, just link them in the marketplace section.

I don't think there's a problem calling a book a 9.8 raw... but I think many buyers will be extremely skeptical. There are often problems in many books that are simply not visible from a scan (i.e. surface wear, indentdations etc). That being said, it's very possible that the book is in fact a 9.8 grade... it may not be a CGC 9.8, but that may be the actual grade on the book.

I agree that it's very tough to call a book a 9.8 and I wouldn't do it in advertising a book for sale... the highest I'd go is 9.6.

If you really have a 9.8 of many silver and bronze age books, you might be costing yourself $100 a book in profit... but then some people would take a lessor return for a quicker sale.

The books listed on divad's ebay list are nice... although what made me skeptical of believing that there are 9.8s (although the DD looks beautiful) is what was defined as a F- on the DD 7. That's clearly not a F-. However, there seem to be many customers who are happy, and ultimately that's what matters. I think there's very few people on this board who would risk paying a premium for a raw book advertised on ebay with an extrememly rare and high number. I know I'm one of them.

Foolkiller,

Thanks for your comments. The DD #7 was a hard call. It obviously has the spine wear of a VG book, but the page quality and structure of the book (which you can only judge in hand) is better than most fine grade books. This is really a problem. Many of the posters are only grading scans, and not real books. It is also priced well below its book value.

-divad

yeah I know... that's why the actual grade is only sort of a ballpark figure. But you're right about actually seeing the book in person... but that's sort of my point... many times for people to grade a book accurately, for better or worse, it needs to be seen in person and hence what makes ebay sort of unreliable.

-divad

Davidking623

DK - The link to the back cover is in the ad.

Thanks!

Davidking623

yeah I know... that's why the actual grade is only sort of a ballpark figure. But you're right about actually seeing the book in person... but that's sort of my point... many times for people to grade a book accurately, for better or worse, it needs to be seen in person and hence what makes ebay sort of unreliable.

. . . which is why I put full-screen scans in, even for lesser-grade books -- so the buyer has as much information as possible.