• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Flipping more Moral than Collecting?

191 posts in this topic

Drugs, like rare truffles, are consumables. Comics persist forever if properly preserved & are -- eh hem -- never subject to pressing.

if I interpret this to read: "energy cannot be created or destroyed" then I agree. Everything is ultimately consumed, altered and re-created in some manner. Some are just more fun to change.

Will you ever stop with this science claptrap?

Claptrap? What do STDs have to do with it?

STD apologist. Do you bristle at genital wart pejoratives as well?

I once knew a girl who had a claptrap....

Yes, divorced her..but, she keeps coming back for more...it's now an applausetrap,.hideous really...but hipnotizing as well.. :eek:

Drugs, like rare truffles, are consumables. Comics persist forever if properly preserved & are -- eh hem -- never subject to pressing.

if I interpret this to read: "energy cannot be created or destroyed" then I agree. Everything is ultimately consumed, altered and re-created in some manner. Some are just more fun to change.

Yes, divorced her..but, she keeps coming back for more...it's now an applausetrap,.hideous really...but hipnotizing as well.. :eek:

I thought it'd be more of a moneytrap by now...

I thought it'd be more of a moneytrap by now...

I take what I can get but, a man can only feel degraded so much...

can the degree of morality be assertained based on the percentage of gain garnered in the flip? And can it be influenced or altered based on the length of time a book is held before the event of the flip? ie..collecting in terms of hours or minutes before the flip should in some term or venue be readily accountable to the degree of gained morality at the expense of the collecting.

As Heisenburg once said the more you know about the morality of a flip, the less you can know about the value of the collection.

What is the time value of money?

What is the time value of a permanent collection, never meant to know deaccession?

What is the time value of a comic book acquired with the flip in mind?

What is the relative measure of morality when comparing these valuations of time?

What would Madame Blavatsky & Bertrand Russell say to each other on this topic while hand in hand on promenade along the quay?

What the is Tupenny babbling about?

can the degree of morality be assertained based on the percentage of gain garnered in the flip? And can it be influenced or altered based on the length of time a book is held before the event of the flip? ie..collecting in terms of hours or minutes before the flip should in some term or venue be readily accountable to the degree of gained morality at the expense of the collecting.

As Heisenburg once said the more you know about the morality of a flip, the less you can know about the value of the collection.

What is the time value of a permanent collection, never meant to know deaccession?

What is the relative measure of morality when comparing these valuations of time?

What would Madame Blavatsky & Bertrand Russell say to each other on this topic while hand in hand on promenade along the quay?

International good samaritan laws and their effect on the world economy..

No one ever really knows. All I caught was "time value of money".

PV = FV − r·PV = FV/(1+r).

exactely my point. How can any of this be removed from time? Any valuation of a commodity be it food or a pressed flat peice of wood pulp with non random color splotches on it has to take in to account time of possesion. In every football game, over 80% of the games are won on time possesion alone. Using that analogy, holding a book for a given length of time moves the property that is the "collection" in question away from a moral compass if you will and into the truer sense of a collectible. Surely we can't imagine a virgin printing to be a collectible fresh of the press? We have to move it away from the morality of a flippable commodity by purchasing it using any form of property exchange we can garner (credit card, our children's lunch money) and into a collection.

I don't know about anyone else, but time is money, valuation would come from the inherent amount of property backing the loan in question.

Seriously, are you putting forth the notion of a "permanent" collection? No such animal exists. Paper degrades, breaks apart and turns to dust; entropy man. Nothing is permanent.

Time value with flip in mind? Perhaps we need another thread to talk about the back ground affects of when purchasing a "property" whether the person is knowingly thinking of selling in the near term or long term. And always, what i they have their fingers crossed while doing so? Is the intention to flip or not to flip with the outcome ultimately resulting in a flip any different? New thread I say.

Here we go with the old 2nd Law of Thermodynamics carp again. I suppose you'll be reducing the Theory of Evolution to pulp dust next with this bothersome drivel.

:frustrated: of course the written text will soon be blowing in the wind, long gone like little Jackie Paper (ironic?) but the fact that you have to torment that man one more last time; throwing in his face a Law compared to his little Theory is just......not moral! Darwin comes up with one of the most fascinating and revolutionary ideas of his time and all he gets is a "theory" (shrug) who among us could hope to sit around, sailing the oceans and observe so strong an occurance as to render us impotent to the laws of nature? Just a theory....incredulous. He must be flipping in his grave.

from the Stanford Encyclopedia (whatever that is)

"The term “morality” can be used either

descriptively to refer to a code of conduct put forward by a society or,

some other group, such as a religion, or

accepted by an individual for her own behavior or

normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons"

we here passing judgement, in the form of morality, on flippers, collectors, pressers and perhaps Darwin himself, by defenition, have just formed a society. We have developed a given set of conditions unto which we all live on this board, though we may fight among ourselves, we have a bond beyond all others. We are a group.

We should now go forth and attack the evil society that is Facebook. :sumo:

normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational persons"

we here passing judgement, in the form of morality, on flippers, collectors, pressers and perhaps Darwin himself, by defenition, have just formed a society. We have developed a given set of conditions unto which we all live on this board, though we may fight among ourselves, we have a bond beyond all others. We are a group.

Couple of dealer's in Baltimore this year were overheard asking each other if restoring a book & then sending it in to CGC without disclosure of the work were unethical.

It was said by a third party that such an act would only be unethical to the extent that the two dealers know a group of folks who would ID it as such.

Couple of dealer's in Baltimore this year were overheard asking each other if restoring a book & then sending it in to CGC without disclosure of the work were unethical.

It was said by a third party that such an act would only be unethical to the extent that the two dealers know a group of folks who would ID it as such.

in my former profession, I did things all the time to circumvent a body of rules and regulations. When I got caught I was called a cheater and punished accordingly; when I did not get caught, no one said a word. But what I learned was that if someone would make a rule and offer to regulate it and pass judgement upon it; then when I presented my work if they passed it along then I was legal.

Conversely: when I go home tonight, I will exceed the posted speed limit. If I do not get caught then I will have escaped the rules of the law. I still broke the law, I just did not get caught. I will reap the benefits of saving time while paying no tithe to the system, for now.

What does any of this mean? My moral compass is within and it is the only one I have to live with. My race in life is run against no one but myself. No playing field (CGC, NFL, NBA, SEC, FDA, you name it) is perfect or without some form of bias; we seek what we feel most comfortable with and fight against what we do not. It has happened for thousands of years and will surely continue to happen after. CGC? Pressing? Flipping? Pay? Food? Education? In many strange ways, these boards, these discussions, kidding aside, are just micocosms of a greater larger life struggle.

If we stopped asking what was right and wrong then how would we know when we found it?

For the record I want Dover and Tupenny to argue at my funeral. I love these guys.

will there be wine?

Let us know when this is going down. I wanna pencil it in now.

Cash bar?

in my former profession, I did things all the time to circumvent a body of rules and regulations. When I got caught I was called a cheater and punished accordingly; when I did not get caught, no one said a word. But what I learned was that if someone would make a rule and offer to regulate it and pass judgement upon it; then when I presented my work if they passed it along then I was legal.

Conversely: when I go home tonight, I will exceed the posted speed limit. If I do not get caught then I will have escaped the rules of the law. I still broke the law, I just did not get caught. I will reap the benefits of saving time while paying no tithe to the system, for now.

What does any of this mean? My moral compass is within and it is the only one I have to live with. My race in life is run against no one but myself. No playing field (CGC, NFL, NBA, SEC, FDA, you name it) is perfect or without some form of bias; we seek what we feel most comfortable with and fight against what we do not. It has happened for thousands of years and will surely continue to happen after. CGC? Pressing? Flipping? Pay? Food? Education? In many strange ways, these boards, these discussions, kidding aside, are just micocosms of a greater larger life struggle.

If we stopped asking what was right and wrong then how would we know when we found it?

Solipsist

For the record I want Dover and Tupenny to argue at my funeral. I love these guys.

will there be wine?

Let us know when this is going down. I wanna pencil it in now.

Cash bar?

If I'm there, dead or alive, you can bet there will be booze. Free booze and lots of it.

:grin: