• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Flipping more Moral than Collecting?

191 posts in this topic

I essentially play Bob Newhart to many of the crazed individuals on the boards. For lunch, I am sent PMs that are a giant "problem sandwich".

This is one of the latest issues that came up in my psycho ward:

"Dude, I bought these two books from *dealer name removed* for personal satisfaction not for resale. That is the disgusting sin of it all. I took $200 worth of grocery money away from my children & converted it into useless, worthless dunnage that no soul shall ever see again until I am dead."

Another comment:

"Yesterday, I put down a chicken ceasar wrap and spent the money on a toy..."

Throughout the years there have been many threads on the ethics of "flipping". However, is flipping more moral than collecting? It is clear that "collecting" is driving some to the brink.

Flipping done by someone else before you can is a sin.

Flipping done by someone no one likes is a sin.

Flipping by someone who nabbed the book before you could do the same is a sin.

Flipping by someone that has a book you want for more than you can afford is a MORTAL sin.

OTOH collecting is next to godliness.

Like anything else, some people collect responsibly, some do not.

I suspect there are some who take loans against retirement accounts, rack up dangerous levels of credit or God knows what else to get a shiny new toy to show off.

Hopefully, for every one of these, there are 10 who responsibly manage their finances and who don't risk their family's security for self-centered pursuits. :wishluck:

No, I get it. He's suggesting that, as collectors, we are all suffering from some degree of mental illness. And wouldn't the average person believe it was more "normal" to make money on comics rather than hoard them. It is an offshoot of Tupenny's "fetishistic idol-worshippers" manifesto.

The mere fact that it is an offshoot of a Tupenny manifesto, however, means it is composed entirely of pure, unadulterated FAIL.

No, I get it. He's suggesting that, as collectors, we are all suffering from some degree of mental illness. And wouldn't the average person believe it was more "normal" to make money on comics rather than hoard them. It is an offshoot of Tupenny's "fetishistic idol-worshippers" manifesto.

The mere fact that it is an offshoot of a Tupenny manifesto, however, means it is composed entirely of pure, unadulterated FAIL.

I was hoping nobody would make the connection since I worship Tupenny logic and wanted to keep it a secret.

I was hoping nobody would make the connection since I worship Tupenny logic and wanted to keep it a secret.

One of you is whip-smart. The other has a sieve for a brain.

:o

"Mental illness", is putting it lightly. This place is Arkham. :insane:

Apples to apples, oranges to oranges. I think collector's have a different need to meet than the flipper / dealer, and I don't think it's easy to compare the two--though many of us fall into that.

Here's another question: are there moral reasons for flipping, and are some of those reasons MORE moral than others?

Which one?!?!?!?

:cry:

Which one?!?!?!?

:cry:

You know which one you are. Just own it.

The Four Color Fetishistic Idol-Worshippers Manifesto merits little more than stalking horse status for the forthcoming mega-mindblast.

'Come on baby strap your veil down tight,

I'm a one way Rocker to paradise tonight.'

I suspect there are some who take loans against retirement accounts, rack up dangerous levels of credit or God knows what else to get a shiny new toy to show off.

Hopefully, for every one of these, there are 10 who responsibly manage their finances and who don't risk their family's security for self-centered pursuits. :wishluck:

I've heard horror stories about people buying books as investments or for their treasured collections when they could have spent the money on paying off their house only later having to sell those same books, usually at a discount.

The one thing that sticks out most to me is a comic shop owner near Seattle who put massive amounts of money into hording the first Image books, thinking he was going to retire on them. That shop wasn't long for this world...

I'm sure there a lot of stories of comic collecting/speculating/investing/addiction ruining lives. "I'm broke, but check out how cool my comic collection is!" :screwy:

The Four Color Fetishistic Idol-Worshippers Manifesto merits little more than stalking horse status for the forthcoming mega-mindblast.

You worked on that one for hours dirintcha?? lol

Me likee! :)

Don't you mean, "forthcoming mega-mind*spoon*?"

I've heard horror stories about people buying books as investments or for their treasured collections when they could have spent the money on paying off their house only later having to sell those same books, usually at a discount.

The one thing that sticks out most to me is a comic shop owner near Seattle who put massive amounts of money into hording the first Image books, thinking he was going to retire on them. That shop wasn't long for this world...

I'm sure there a lot of stories of comic collecting/speculating/investing/addiction ruining lives. "I'm broke, but check out how cool my comic collection is!" :screwy:

Back in the fall of 93', there were probably thousands of broke comic junkies trying to peddle and barter their snuff for a jug of expired milk.

A portion from an industry theorist: "While the transparent & necrotic skin lightly draped over the lattice work of protruding & brittle ribs of their children blisters and peals like the cracked sands of the Mojave."

Many consider "press and flip" and cardinal sin. Perhaps, it is sinful to not "press and flip"? I advocate in public, no particular side.