• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt. Rock movie...goes to the future?

29 posts in this topic

I'm more flexible than most when it comes to making changes when bringing a character from the comics to the screen, but this seems like a really dumb move if they truly mean to take him into the future.

If they just mean to update him into a more recent conflict that might still work, though if anything contemporary war movies have been less successful than WW2 themed ones.

All I can say is, seeing Robert Downey Jr. in a pinstripe suit, hands out crucifix victory style over an Afghan theatre as bombs light up the entire background was pretty durn cool, and I can't conceive that anything that they could have done in Vietnam would have been as timely or as vibrant.

sometimes, updating a work is a good thing.

I'm not sure that analogy works though. It's true that Vietnam is an integral part of Tony Stark becoming Iron Man, but quickly IM moves beyond that.

Rock's history is firmly and totally entrenched in WW 2.

I agree. Rock's "War" is more central.

Ugh... so they're going with the "Hex" version of this. :sorry:

My first thought. I think this is a bad idea.

Seconded. I won't see it if it's not a western.

Rock in a futuristic western/post apocalyptic setting? hm

Yeah, it's blasphemy, but I'd bet it'd be fun. I can see Tarantino all over this.

They had the chance to add other war characters to the movie and are completely blowing it. They could have had Johnny Cloud, Haunted Tank, and Gunner and Sarge appear in the film. Could of been a great war film but instead they go Hollywood and do something stupid. Might as well change the title of Saving Private Ryan to Sgt. Rock and imageine a good Rock movie.

They had the chance to add other war characters to the movie and are completely blowing it. They could have had Johnny Cloud, Haunted Tank, and Gunner and Sarge appear in the film. Could of been a great war film but instead they go Hollywood and do something stupid. Might as well change the title of Saving Private Ryan to Sgt. Rock and imageine a good Rock movie.

Tom Hanks in that movie reminded me a lot of Sgt. Rock, actually.

Andy 2c