• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

E-bay blackmail

139 posts in this topic

I'd like some opinions cause I'm having an awful week on E-bay...I sold a book last week that I graded VF- (7.5) and when the buyer received it he decided he didn't agree on the grade and that he would only grade it a F+ or 6.5....buyer contacts me and says "I don't agree on the grade, but I want to keep the book, so give me compensation for it"......I respond back that I respect his opinion and if he does not agree with the grade that he can return it for a full refund minus the shipping.......and his reply was "perhaps you didn't understand me, I want to keep the book it's , but I've found flaws that you didn't mention , so you have to compensate me for it"........Am I crazy or is this blackmail?

I'd stick to what you're doing. He either gives you the book back for a refund, or he keeps it. If it's misgraded that much, why would he want it? Sounds like he's trying to get a VF- for a F+ price.

Brian

have you left feedback yet? if so, you're screwed. foreheadslap.gif better contact eBay now re: "the bonnie situation". gossip.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yup,...I always leave feedback on payment,...I feel it's the righteous thing to do,...my part of the transaction is complete..

You're crazy if you give in to him 893naughty-thumb.gif Take a stand, dont give in to this insufficiently_thoughtful_person (who is it? so I can block him from bidding in my auctions smirk.gif) This guy is trying to deceive you, whats the worst that could happen, get a Neg. Feedback. juggle.gif

have you left feedback yet? if so, you're screwed. foreheadslap.gif better contact eBay now re: "the bonnie situation". gossip.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yup,...I always leave feedback on payment,...I feel it's the righteous thing to do,...my part of the transaction is complete..

Rocketeer, you need to seriously consider changing your policy on feedback. I feel confident in saying that this seller wouldn't be demanding the deal he/she is demanding if you still had the option of retaliatory feedback.

Your part of the transaction isn't complete yet, as the seller is illustrating in this most painful and annoying example.

Here's hoping you can resolve this to your satisfaction!

what's the Bonnie situation?

never seen pulp fiction? foreheadslap.gif that's why i never leave feedback first anymore. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif i had a buyer tried to hold me hostage with feedback, and also i was tired of not getting my feedback reciprocated. 893frustrated.gif

If you don't want to compensate him for the difference (and I wouldn't) then you shouldn't. An offer of a refund if he's not happy is entirely fair. I assume you have his $ in hand, so you're in control of this situation. The worst he can do is leave a negative (unless it's a Paypal credit card thing in which case I'd clean out my Paypal account STAT).

sumo.gif

Call The Wolf, he can work out a Bonnie situation quick, fast, in a hurry.

Who's the Wolf and what's the Bonnie situation?? 893frustrated.gif

any way...this is the first response I gave...

]

I'm sorry you are dissapointed with the book,..I tried to describe the condition as best as possible, If you are not satisfied with the book I will gladly take it back less the shipping costs, that is entirely up to you. Please let me know what you decide.

Which I thought was the nice thing to do,..and I get this response....

Thanks for your quick response and apology. I guess you didn't read my entire email. I said I would like to keep the book, I just feel I paid too much for something that wasn't as advertised. If you tried to describe the book as best as possible you surely would have mentioned these READING creases and not advertised it as "unread". Maybe you don't believe me but here's the text from the glossary of the latest overstreet guide on "reading creases"...

"...vertical front cover crease at staples, caused by bending the front cover over the staples..."

"6.0 FINE(FN): An above average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects."

...and that's just the fine grade, you advertised this book as "VF-" and I am not as picky as some collectors and would call this F+. I would have bought a F+ copy. But I wouldn't have spent 230 bucks for a F+ copy. If you look in the guides there is a HUGE price differential between F and VF. Bottom line is, I'd like to keep the book but I believe I paid too much for a misadvertised book. It's not that you were off by a half grade or more, it's that you advertised this book as "unread with only spine stress" and that is NOT what I received. So, either you send me the book that you advertised or we can work out a partial refund for this one.

Now there was one impact crease about 1/2 inch long which I described as an inch away from the spine,...the book was an unread remainder copy with this flaw only....

And his latest E-mail....

Ok, now I'm mad. Are you saying those creases weren't there when you graded the book??? Because now that I look at the pic you can see that they were. So you misrepresented the book and I don't respect your grading if you consider this book "unread". So now I don't trust you. I'm not about to send the book back and never get a refund back. You were obviously out to get a quick buck. And your typical ebay "send the book back so I can rip someone else off" response is disappointing in the extreme. And if you think I'm just trying to barter after the sale you had better take a look at my feedback and realize I am also making a very good point about your ad. You represented this book as unread. It is obviously NOT unread. I backed this up with facts. I'm not looking to "steal" the book from you. I would just like a small adjustment due to the fact that it was not as advertised. Take a day, rethink your position and get back to me. I'll do the same because I was calm about all this at first but now I'm just a bit too hot to think straight.

And I never said the crease wasn't there...I actually pointed it out in the description.....

Here is a scan of the book by the way...

129e.jpg

Is this a Betty book? If so, he's full of it. Ask him to open a couple of pages and the printing binding at the bottom of the pages will stick together proving they are unread.

I'd demand the book back if he's giving you trouble and report it to eBay immediately before he starts negging you.

Of course, he wants to keep the book....they are quite nice.....

Jim

Ok, now I'm mad. Are you saying those creases weren't there when you graded the book??? Because now that I look at the pic you can see that they were.

So he's pissed that the flaws that he admits are clearly evident in the scan are really there? I'd tell him to go [!@#%^&^] himself and take the neg. Sounds like a case of buyers remorse to me. Deception on your part? No. Lack of thorough inspection of the scan on his part? Yes.

BTW, It looks like a Fine/VF to FV- to me.

Call The Wolf, he can work out a Bonnie situation quick, fast, in a hurry.

Who's the Wolf and what's the Bonnie situation?? 893frustrated.gif

Okay, we can puzzle this out... "The Wolf" was the character played by Harvey Keitel, who comes to 'clean up the mess' made by Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson... "The Bonnie Situation" is the title of that portion (middle third?)of the film ... but that doesn't explain what a Bonnie Situation is...??

Maybe you don't believe me but here's the text from the glossary of the latest overstreet guide on "reading creases"...

"...vertical front cover crease at staples, caused by bending the front cover over the staples..."

Also make him aware that the crease is not likely to have been caused from reading but stacking. The buyer you bought from evidently has the comics stacked as evidenced by the covers sticking together on some of his lower graded copies. His X-Men #94s are a good example of this as I'd estimate that half of the copies he's sold have back cover residue on the top left corners of the front cover.

Jim