• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does The UK Need A Witness?

27 posts in this topic

I think I may have asked this a while ago when I was new to the boards and largely ignored. Now I've been here a while I thought I'd ask again, even though I'm still largely ignored :grin:

So does the UK need an SS witness? I know some witnesses in the States make it over the pond to some UK based cons, but I just can't help thinking of the amount of signing opportunities that are missed over here.

Plus it may make some creators more accessible for signatures that are hard to come by. I don't know for sure, I'm just stabbing in the dark at that one. I've also had a couple of UK boardies ask me how to go about getting their own books signed as opposed to buying pre Signature Series books.

So, how about it CGC? Reckon it could ever happen? Could us Brits finally get a break?

Any chance there's a good site for UK-based shows/signings. I'd love to get over there for some international sigs next year. I should start planning.

I think this is part of the reason, though. I think if more people saw how many signings go on abroad, more attention could be called to the area, there would be a bigger demand for it, and we could get more witnesses willing to head over there.

But to answer your question: yes, a UK-based witness would be convenient!

I think the answer to the question is a resounding "YES." Perhaps the more appropriate question to pose to CGC would be "Why Doesn't the UK Have Any Witnesses"?

I'm pretty sure Kev stated before that CGC had no plans for a UK based witness, I could be wrong. I'll see if I can find the thread I think I may have started.

And this question has been answered before.

No UK Witnesses yet because of a legality question. As the Witness Agreement is a legally-binding document between CGC and the individual, lawyers have to verify whether or not said agreement is valid, applicable & enforceable outside of North America.

To date, they have not settled on an answer, and until that time, there will be no Witnesses approved outside of North America.

North American Witnesses are allowed to Witness books abroad though.

If there are any good shows in the UK that you know about with sigs you want, be sure to throw it up in the Events room. Maybe more attention would prompt US witnesses to head over there.

If there are any good shows in the UK that you know about with sigs you want, be sure to throw it up in the Events room. Maybe more attention would prompt US witnesses to head over there.

Yeah I will do dude. I can't see enough demand to cover travel expenses though. There was one opportunity at a UK con last year, but I couldn't afford/justify $50+ per book plus return shipping from CGC which would have averaged the cost of each book at $80 or so. The couple of SS books from that title that are actually out there have only fetched half of that in sales.

No UK Witnesses yet because of a legality question. As the Witness Agreement is a legally-binding document between CGC and the individual, lawyers have to verify whether or not said agreement is valid, applicable & enforceable outside of North America.

To date, they have not settled on an answer, and until that time, there will be no Witnesses approved outside of North America.

If that's all that's holding it up, I can't imagine that it would cost that much to engage UK counsel to come up with a form that would satisfy CGC's needs. On the other hand, I can see CGC being concerned that even if it has an agreement that is enforceable in the United States, there is still the issue of enforcing any judgment in the UK, which could be expensive.

How many major conventions are there in the UK? I only know of Bristol, where Carlos and a couple of other witnesses go anyway.

BICS is another. I'm not sure about the rest.

The Bristol 2010 site is up! So far they have Chris Claremont!

Maybe I'll try to make it this time. I just received this which was witnessed by Carlos at this year's Bristol con:

wm1ss.jpg

I love it, but yes it can get expensive shipping back and forth over the Atlantic, and time consuming :(

Worth it for books like this though (thumbs u