• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am going to re-read Liefelds New Mutants run.

121 posts in this topic

I think I'm the only person who does like his art. I don't know why. I just do. I know it's bad. Maybe I have tumor.

I don't mind it either. People think it is cool to slam him whether they really dislike him or not. No, he is not great with anatomy. But neither were some other artists including Kirby, yet they worship him. TOS #88 has one of the worst covers I have ever seen, yet nobody talks about it.

No..... Liefeld is no Neal Adams. He made a certain style of art which was very stylized and which EVERYBODY was crazy about when it came out. I worked in a store at the time, and people were absolutely nuts about it. They liked it as much as Jim Lee X-Men, and nearly as much as McFarlane Spider-man. New Mutants #87 was the hottest book I had ever seen to that point.

My advice, read it and make up your own mind.

I was wondering when somebody was going to step up.

Obviously he was a big hit back in the day. I wonder how many people posting today actually read it and enjoyed it.

I guess his success does validate his alleged "artistry" - dammit, if he was popular, he must've been all right. :baiting:

I used to feel the same way about Kirby.

:baiting:

I never saw that coming. :baiting:

I think I'm the only person who does like his art. I don't know why. I just do. I know it's bad. Maybe I have tumor.

I don't mind it either. People think it is cool to slam him whether they really dislike him or not. No, he is not great with anatomy. But neither were some other artists including Kirby, yet they worship him. TOS #88 has one of the worst covers I have ever seen, yet nobody talks about it.

No..... Liefeld is no Neal Adams. He made a certain style of art which was very stylized and which EVERYBODY was crazy about when it came out. I worked in a store at the time, and people were absolutely nuts about it. They liked it as much as Jim Lee X-Men, and nearly as much as McFarlane Spider-man. New Mutants #87 was the hottest book I had ever seen to that point.

Obviously he was a big hit back in the day. I wonder how many people posting today actually read it and enjoyed it.

I guess his success does validate his alleged "artistry" - dammit, if he was popular, he must've been all right. :baiting:

I'm still waiting for Ditko....

angry_greg_head_Explode-lg.gif

Stop....stop right now.

Dale, I like you, but this kind of post makes me want to demand an at home breathalizer be used before people are allowed to post because what you wrote only makes sense after a fifth of Captain Morgan with crack rocks as ice cubes.

You could have gone any of 100 directions with comparisons to other artists that are popular yet flawed in their technique, but you chose The King?

Jack Kirby had bowel movements that had more artistic merit than Liefeld on his best day.

TOS #88 (the book you chose) was pubbed in April 1967. That month Jack Kirby penciled 3 covers and did 44 pages on interior art. And all the books came out on time.

Jack Kirby had been a working artist, steadily improving his craft and influencing the comic art world for over 30 years by the time TOS #88 came out.

And BTW....Nobody talks about how bad Kirby's cover is on TOS #88 because TOS #88 had a Gil Kane cover.

Sorry, was thinking of the wrong book. It is #86. Here it is.... Look at Caps body. . His shoulders, chest, knees, legs, and waist are all turned differently.

Look, I am not trying to knock on Kirby (and I could show comic evidence if I wanted), I am just saying that Liefeld is not the only one in comics who does unrealistic poses and out of proportioned bodies, but he catches more slack than everyone else put together.

RADCBF3D2009325_224211.jpg

meh, you guys are all full of spoon because you were all buying this spoon when it was hitting the stands. How else did Robbie make all his scratch?

7-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

Kirby ripped off the Robin corner shock poses?

:o

meh, you guys are all full of spoon because you were all buying this spoon when it was hitting the stands. How else did Robbie make all his scratch?

Exactly.

I think the main difference is Kirby helped to create the language that is superhero comics and created / co-created characters and concepts that have stood the test of time and laid the framework for what was to come after. Liefeld is just a pretty bad artist doing his best to emulate Arthur Adams.

I'm still waiting for Ditko....

Those early Spideys are above reproach. :baiting:

Stop....stop right now.

Dale, I like you, but this kind of post makes me want to demand an at home breathalizer be used before people are allowed to post because what you wrote only makes sense after a fifth of Captain Morgan with crack rocks as ice cubes.

You could have gone any of 100 directions with comparisons to other artists that are popular yet flawed in their technique, but you chose The King?

Jack Kirby had bowel movements that had more artistic merit than Liefeld on his best day.

TOS #88 (the book you chose) was pubbed in April 1967. That month Jack Kirby penciled 3 covers and did 44 pages on interior art. And all the books came out on time.

Jack Kirby had been a working artist, steadily improving his craft and influencing the comic art world for over 30 years by the time TOS #88 came out.

And BTW....Nobody talks about how bad Kirby's cover is on TOS #88 because TOS #88 had a Gil Kane cover.

Sorry, was thinking of the wrong book. It is #86. Here it is.... Look at Caps body. . His shoulders, chest, knees, legs, and waist are all turned differently.

Look, I am not trying to knock on Kirby (and I could show comic evidence if I wanted), I am just saying that Liefeld is not the only one in comics who does unrealistic poses and out of proportioned bodies, but he catches more slack than everyone else put together.

You're right, that cover is terrible. But then, Kirby was a genius.

Stop....stop right now.

Of course, the major difference between Kirby and Liefeld is that this is picked out as a "bad example" of Kirby's artwork...

While every single piece of Liefeld artwork is a "bad example."

meh, you guys are all full of spoon because you were all buying this spoon when it was hitting the stands.

Absolutely....15 copies at a time.

:cloud9:

A friend of mine at the time complained about New Mutants #93, saying Wolverine had a "butt" drawn on his forearm.

While I agreed, I still thought it was neato keen.

Exciting times to be an X-Fan, 1990-1991.

7-1.jpg

I think the villains are doing jazz hands

meh, you guys are all full of spoon because you were all buying this spoon when it was hitting the stands.

Absolutely....15 copies at a time.

:cloud9:

A friend of mine at the time complained about New Mutants #93, saying Wolverine had a "butt" drawn on his forearm.

While I agreed, I still thought it was neato keen.

Exciting times to be an X-Fan, 1990-1991.

You bought 15 copies of that stuff? Please tell me it was just for speculative purposes...while that makes me feel dirty...the other possibility just makes me :sick:

How else did Robbie make all his scratch?

X-Force and Youngblood, of course.

Certainly not New Mutants.

New Mutants wasn't the direct source of his bling, but it was the catalyst; you know that's what I meant, nitpicker. (tsk)