• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did you hunt for back issues pre-internet days?

107 posts in this topic

I got a lot of golden age Batman by bidding and winning Wooley;s Auctions.

He sent catalogues to CBG subscribers who asked for them.

After I won some auctions the catalogues would just show up.

I bought a lot of back issue comics thru CBG and at conventions and comic shops.

Not comics but action figures like Secret Wars and Superpowers from CBG ads, it would be quite profitable back in the pre-internet day because all the small cons I would go to would have about 9 dealers all selling the same Uncanny X-men`s 94 to 143 and there I was the only one selling these action figures making some cash . :cloud9:

My first purchase of a back issue was from an outfit called Comic Book Sales Company who advertised in those little yellow ads in issues of Marvel comics. I bought from them often in the early 70's. I also bought from Rogofsky and Crestohl. There wern't any LCS back then. The first one of those I remember was around 1980 and is still operating today. By the early 90's there were several and with our area having several military bases there were always fresh collections turning up, plus conventions were happening several times per year. Because of all this, I never purchased much from the CBG but still kept a sub off and on. The internet really put a hurting on the number of collections that turn up here and to this day I still feel sad when I visit some of the 'ole brick and morters....those guys worked so hard for all of us and they didn't deserve that. Today most of my limited purchases are from auction sites and several of the more prominent national dealers. I also utilize these boards quite a bit. Things have become so pricey these days for the material I like.....I miss the days when I bought NM copies of FF 5 ($20), FF 48 (75 cents), JIM 85 ($ 5), X-MEN 1 ($ 5) without a thought of investment in mind....I just wanted 'em. Collecting was just collecting....some of the happiest days of my life. On the other hand, I've had the most association with other collectors BECAUSE of the internet and these boards in particular. Great times here...thanks, guys and gals. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fiend of jesus) (thumbs u

First place I ever bought from was Robert Bell back the the mid 70's. Later in the late 70's I bought from Mile High Comics out of their Ft Collins, CO store. I also bought a lot out of Mile Highs 308 South Broadway store in Denver. I also bought a lot off CBG through the ads section.

I bought from Koch-Dolgoff-Koch back in the day. I also bought stuff from the CBG ads, back when they were a weekly newsprint, and occasionally I'd find something in an Overstreet ad.

Locally, I rode my bike to Tattooed Lady Comics in Huntsville, AL nearly every Saturday to blow my allowance on back issues and subscriptions. I would also try to get to any comic book store in any new city I visited. To this day I still have a habit of checking yellow pages to see what;s there when I travel.

comicstore.jpg