• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think this book should have been graded lower by CGC?

Do you think this book should have been graded lower than 9.4 by CGC?  

540 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this book should have been graded lower than 9.4 by CGC?

81 posts in this topic

Stuff that everyone should know, but which bears repeating now and then...

1. CGC's grade is just an opinion, despite the end-all, be-all status which the market has bestowed upon them.

2. It's ok to disagree with CGC's opinion.

3. CGC needs legitimate competition.

(thumbs u

It is just another example of CGC's inconsistent grading... No way this book can grade a 9.4 with such a large dust shadow.

How is their grading on dust shadows inconsistent? I've consistently not seen them downgrade much for them.

It is just another example of CGC's inconsistent grading... No way this book can grade a 9.4 with such a large dust shadow.

How is their grading on dust shadows inconsistent? I've consistently not seen them downgrade much for them.

Why is that?

Because they consider dust shadows more an "act of nature" like the yellowing of pages over time, and less of a defect put there by human hands?

Not true, I have two books at home downgraded by CGC for dust shadows. One is a Showcase #60 that looks as nice as the Sensation #1 but has dust shadow on right edge that knocked it down to a 8.0. I guess you were a lucky submitter. Or maybe they do grade Golden Age differently ?

Whether it's an 8.0 or 9.4 isn't the issue to me. I simply wouldn't buy it because of that shadow. Buy the book, not the grade, right?
:thumbsup:

Not true, I have two books at home downgraded by CGC for dust shadows. One is a Showcase #60 that looks as nice as the Sensation #1 but has dust shadow on right edge that knocked it down to a 8.0. I guess you were a lucky submitter. Or maybe they do grade Golden Age differently ?

How do you know they knocked your Showcase 60 down due to the dust shadow? I haven't submitted books with dust shadows myself, I've just seen literally dozens of books at 9.4 and 9.6 with dust shadows. A TON of the recent Mound City Silver Age books at 9.4 and 9.6 had dust shadows.

Why is that?

Because they consider dust shadows more an "act of nature" like the yellowing of pages over time, and less of a defect put there by human hands?

I have no idea why CGC doesn't downgrade more for dust shadows, it doesn't make sense to me. (shrug)

Why is that?

I have no idea why CGC doesn't downgrade more for dust shadows, it doesn't make sense to me. (shrug)

They'll down grade based on severity. There are lots of factors that they seem to take into account when grading a book with a dust shadow including how large, how dark, how deep it goes into the paper, how the eye appeal is affected, etc. I've seen NM books with a dust shadow grade 7.0 and I've seen NM books with a dust shadow grade 9.8.

I've seen NM books with a dust shadow grade 7.0 and I've seen NM books with a dust shadow grade 9.8.

What was the 7.0 book, and how do you know it was the dust shadow that knocked it down that far? This is the worst dust shadow I've seen on a 9.4, the Allentown Detective 38 with two big dust shadows on the back:

front cover

back cover

How do you know they knocked your Showcase 60 down due to the dust shadow?

The CGC notes on a book are usually very helpful to know where a book has been knocked down...

A TON of the recent Mound City Silver Age books at 9.4 and 9.6 had dust shadows.

That is unacceptable grading IMHO based on good old Overstreet grading standards.

How do you know they knocked your Showcase 60 down due to the dust shadow?

The CGC notes on a book are usually very helpful to know where a book has been knocked down...

What was in the notes? Care to post a high-res front-and-back scan?

Stuff that everyone should know, but which bears repeating now and then...

1. CGC's grade is just an opinion, despite the end-all, be-all status which the market has bestowed upon them.

2. It's ok to disagree with CGC's opinion.

3. CGC needs legitimate competition.

(thumbs u

Holy crappus! I made a sig line! I mean with a legitimate comment this time!

:o

How do you know they knocked your Showcase 60 down due to the dust shadow? I haven't submitted books with dust shadows myself, I've just seen literally dozens of books at 9.4 and 9.6 with dust shadows. A TON of the recent Mound City Silver Age books at 9.4 and 9.6 had dust shadows.

Don't the vast majority of Church books have a dust shadow...?

I've seen NM books with a dust shadow grade 7.0 and I've seen NM books with a dust shadow grade 9.8.

What was the 7.0 book, and how do you know it was the dust shadow that knocked it down that far?

I don't remember the exact books and but it might have been an early TOS or Hulk book. I just remembered having this awesome comic book find of pre 1964 SA Marvels from an attic that I had bought from someone and thinking they were all going to come back 9.2+....sorely disappointed I was. They were all over the place from 5.0-9.0.