• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think this book should have been graded lower by CGC?

Do you think this book should have been graded lower than 9.4 by CGC?  

540 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this book should have been graded lower than 9.4 by CGC?

81 posts in this topic

Say it's a 9.8 in hand...do the graders then say, "Dust shadow. Ding! 9.6. Name in pencil. Ding! 9.4"? Because that's the only way I can see that getting such a grade.

My one-time belief was that CGC didn't discriminate between various sorts of flaws on a book and that they are all assigned point values. The graders just start at 10 subtracting for each imperfection until they are done evaluating a book.

But it reminds me of the pre-eBay days...

"Cover detached, tears sealed with glue, tape on the spine, centerfold missing, otherwise near mint!"

I guess CGC is not as strict on dust shadows as they once were. It probably is a 9.4 if you don't count the dust shadow.

I've seen darker dust shadows get 9.4 even in the early days of CGC. They have consistently not marked off much for them, but I, too, think they should.

Stuff that everyone should know, but which bears repeating now and then...

1. CGC's grade is just an opinion, despite the end-all, be-all status which the market has bestowed upon them.

2. It's ok to disagree with CGC's opinion.

3. CGC needs legitimate competition.

VF?

Yeah, the rest of the book looks terrific, but the book is down to 9.2 tops after the name on the cover and the dust shadow needs to knock it down some more.

And that includes a GA bump, because it should be a Fine if it's just a regular ole silver age book...and that might be generous.