• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! Need advice -- Giant Size Avengers #1 (scans added)

15 posts in this topic

So I purchased a copy of Giant Sized Avengers #1 off Ebay. I am trying to return it as it was sold as near mint but after seeing it in person I disagree with this grade. The seller is telling me he still thinks it falls within the near mint range.

Front:

gsaFront.jpg

Back:

gsaBack.jpg

Here are some pictures of the bottom left hand corner. The third image is of the middle of the spine.

gsaCorner.jpg

And here is one more looking down from above the spine.

topSpine.jpg

As you can see the bottom two inches of the spine bulges out because it has been smushed. Also, the middle of the spine has a slight bulge as well. I can't get a scan right now, but the rest of the comic is in nice shape with a glossy cover and sharp top and bottom right corners. The top let corner has very minor blunting.

I'm not so sure that the spine was "smushed". What your seeing is most likely the glue that was used in the making of the book. I have seen a lot of Giant Size books with spines like that. More than a few have been graded better than 9.0 The corner isn't all that bad either. Posting scans of the FC and BC will help with asking for the overall grade of the book. But from what I see so far. The book could be a HG{9.0} example. IMHO

Giant Size Square Bounds were made a lot differently than a regular comic book.

If you dont like it return it.

I am trying to return it, but the seller thinks that it is near mint and has only offered to refund the shipping. Also, the reason I am posting here to get opinions on it's grade and see if maybe I am in the wrong. I'm still developing an eye for grading and haven't dealt with a Giant Size before -- specifically the different type of spine that they have.

That is a 9.0/9.2 book and in my opinion is as good a book as your going to get on Ebay.That lower corner is a defect that most square bound comics have.I personally think if it was advertised as a NM,thats what you got .Albeit a NM-,still a nice grade for these books 2c

Thanks for the feedback so far. Like I said, I'm still learning. :) I'm starting to see the downside of buying comics on Ebay though. I realize that it's always going to be a gamble because grading is so subjective, and you can't really tell a book's grade until it is in hand.

I almost went with the grades Oakman gave. Square Bounds do seem to be given a bit of a break by the fine folks at The CGC. The production wasn't top notch with this type of book.

Personally I think that the book is what it was said to be grade wise. For a purchase off of Ebay.That book was properly graded. I wouldn't hesitate about buying from this seller if there always grading there books this well.

I can see why the seller is standing by the grade they gave it. Though I would try and make the customer happy as well. What was there return policy? If it was stated a return will be given if the book is grossly over stated grade wise. I can see them not wanting to refund the book.

There not missing the mark very much on this book grade wise. IMHO

What was there return policy? If it was stated a return will be given if the book is grossly over stated grade wise. I can see them not wanting to refund the book.

"This seller accepts returns. Items must be returned within 7days. Refunds will be given as money back.The buyer pays for return shipping. Before you can return an item, you need to contact the seller."

The seller says he will accept refunds. So you should have the right to return the book. As a side note though. For a seller on Ebay. There grading is a lot better than most sellers there. You not happy with the book and that is what counts. I personally wouldn't return the book. I believe the book to be fairly graded by the seller.

Send it back and get the refund. Ebay is the wild wild west of grading. All I know is that I have a few Giant Size like this in CGC 9.2 slabs and this book wouldn't be out of place in a 9.2 slab. Just my 2c

I almost went with the grades Oakman gave. Square Bounds do seem to be given a bit of a break by the fine folks at The CGC. The production wasn't top notch with this type of book.

Personally I think that the book is what it was said to be grade wise. For a purchase off of Ebay.That book was properly graded. I wouldn't hesitate about buying from this seller if there always grading there books this well.

I can see why the seller is standing by the grade they gave it. Though I would try and make the customer happy as well. What was there return policy? If it was stated a return will be given if the book is grossly over stated grade wise. I can see them not wanting to refund the book.

There not missing the mark very much on this book grade wise. IMHO

It sure looks like you did agree with me meh

I was just going to edit my original post and change the grade. After looking at the scans for a bit. I agree the book is in the 9.2 grade area. For an Ebay seller, there pretty accurate. If the new owner wants to return the book. He should be able to. The seller does give refunds. I think returning the book is a bad idea. But I am not the books owner....

Thanks for the education all. Going to keep it.

My approach to the great spoon-shoot that is eBay is to bid as if the book was at least a full grade point less than the stated grade - unless I have bought from that seller before and have reason to trust them. In this case, a stated grade of NM would translate for me into 'don't pay more than 8.5 money'.

Mind you, sometimes even a grade point is not enough to calibrate 'ebay grading'. meh