• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 94 CGC 9.8 on census

59 posts in this topic

I see that the first X-Men #94 to get a CGC 9.8 was just added to the census this time around. I wonder if we will see this book up on ebay or Heritage sometime soon? What do you think it would sell for?
Not likely, as it's owned by Captain_Tripps. thumbsup2.gif

I see that the first X-Men #94 to get a CGC 9.8 was just added to the census this time around.

And all the people that paid stupid money for a 9.6 are going... blush.gif

I see that the first X-Men #94 to get a CGC 9.8 was just added to the census this time around.

And all the people that paid stupid money for a 9.6 are going... blush.gif

yep, if you have the highest graded BA copy that's not a 9.8-10....sell. gossip.gif if not, one will come down the pike in due time. foreheadslap.gif

Did captain_tripps buy off the newstand when he was young? If so, shouldn't he have his own pedigree or somthing? confused-smiley-013.gif
Nope, apparently he obtained it just recently for an undisclosed price. tonofbricks.gif

Did captain_tripps buy off the newstand when he was young? If so, shouldn't he have his own pedigree or somthing? confused-smiley-013.gif
Nope, apparently he obtained it just recently for an undisclosed price. tonofbricks.gif

Obtained already graded? As in whoever hit the jackpot called him first?

Obtained already graded? As in whoever hit the jackpot called him first?

Yep...another forum member asked him and he said that a dealer sold it to him already graded.

i am just getting on this site. i have an easily graded 9.8 (out of the plastic) right now that ive been waiting to get graded. now that someone has already gotten one graded im thinking that i shouldve gotten it graded sooner and cashed in. so back to the question that originally started this thread--how much should this book go for? much appreciated for the insight guys. halo

i am just getting on this site. i have an easily graded 9.8 (out of the plastic) right now that ive been waiting to get graded. now that someone has already gotten one graded im thinking that i shouldve gotten it graded sooner and cashed in. so back to the question that originally started this thread--how much should this book go for? much appreciated for the insight guys. halo

I don't think it's "too late" since this one went in a private deal. Who knows what would happen if one were to hit the open market. The real question is- how nice is your "easy 9.8." Got a scan?

$15K minimum... probably closer to $20K would be my guess depending on the eye appeal... and timing

Even though some books can defy "supply-value" logic for an extended time, I feel 9.6 values on this book are heading for an adjustment of some sort due to significant rises in the census and the arrival of the 9.8. Most would agree that X-Men 94 in particular is a book whose impressive value is partially based on the strong belief collectors have/had (myself and JC included) that it was going to be legitimately scarce above 9.4 for several reasons (title coming off a reprint run, lower circulation, GS #1 was the true #1 and received the focus, dark cover). So much for that theory.

I'm guessing those in the market for a 9.6 are probably a bit more hesitant to buy currently and would like to see the dust settle (a couple of sales first) to feel comfortable that they are buying at a new "safe price". It stands to reason that a percentage are not even aware of the 9.8 yet since the sale was private and not everyone is a Census/Forum watcher.

The last 9.6 offered on Ebay recently was clearly the best in terms of QP and PQ IMHO (at least from scan viewing). It ended without meeting reserve at only $5500. X-Men 94 9.6

After the auction, private interest was strong I'm told (2 serious buyers)... and the book was sold around $7K. Some were claiming they experienced computer/Ebay problems. I know this to be valid as the eventual buyer, a friend of mine, tried to call me to bid for him. Even still, not everyone had problems and the book could have sold for less as the reserve was below the sales price. Its hard to tell from this auction though if/how far an adjustment might be heading.

As for a 9.8 price, keep in mind that 9.6's have sold around $6-$7K+. Even if they adjust to $5-$6K, that still puts them on course for a conservative $15K+ sale.

I agree with the price quotation... but sadly, there's no such thing as a sure fire 9.8. It's hit or miss. People think their books are perfect and when it comes back they find that the book isn't a 9.8 and are disappointed. I truly hope that the book is a 9.8 for you... good luck!

there's no such thing as a sure fire 9.8. It's hit or miss.

Assuming all of the 9.6's and half of the 9.4's were similarly prized by their owners...

then there have been about 43 "sure 9.8s" submitted...

with a grand total of 1 CGC 9.8 to show for it.

there's no such thing as a sure fire 9.8. It's hit or miss.

Assuming all of the 9.6's and half of the 9.4's were similarly prized by their owners...

then there have been about 43 "sure 9.8s" submitted...

with a grand total of 1 CGC 9.8 to show for it.

You're probably being generous. I bet a lot of 8.0s, 8.5s and 9.0s were "easy 9.8s" in their owner's minds too.

ok heres for the doubters. hopefully you can get the overall quality of this find. i think 15k sounds about right. without the other 9.8 being in the market might bolster the price a bit if it were public knowledge that the other owner has no intention to sell. that not being the case i dont expect to break 20k if (and thats a MAJOR if) i decide to sell. im relly digging this site. ive looked all over for people to converse about comics and here within hours of posting ive already got a lot of replies. thanks guys for getting back so quickly. halo 94xSS1203.jpg