• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The REAL reason Nic Cage sold his comics...?

82 posts in this topic

This is just bad for the league...if a team can do better in Toronto (and I'm 100% sure it can, especially compared to Phoenix), why not approve the deal to move them to a better city with a strong ownership? Just sounds stupid to me....

Cause Gary Bettman is a jerk who would rather see people suffer than lose his pride.

^^

I wouldn't say Bettman is anti-Canadian. I just think he prefers the teams to be in the US vs Canada. He wants to keep as much of the money here as possible. As I mentioned earlier, if a Canadian team is struggling, Gary wastes no time moving them to the US if possible. If a US team is struggling, he moves them to another US city.

There's a reason for that though... he's staked his entire job on the idea of trying to get the NHL into non-traditional hockey markets so to get TV deal money across the whole states instead of just regionally from local networks (huge difference). Moving a team to canada doesn't help him get a network TV deal. So he's put all these teams into these useless fricking markets like nashville and pheonix but its like a poker game where he's pot committed. He's spent so much time/energy chasing this dream that simply can't admit defeat and keep his job at the same time.

You probably know all that, but again I don't think its because of "good old boys" type reasons. His obsession is network TV.

Good point and I agree. I just happen to think that all of the major sports leagues are run this way. My father-in-law knows quite a few people high up that were tied to the Schott family and Charles Lindner, the previous 2 owners of the Cincinnati Reds and he's told me that he pretty much has been told the same thing as I am claiming about how things are done amongst sports franchise owners.

Oh I totally agree re baseball. You've got owners who are EIGHTY and older in some cases, and its sort of the oldest sport around north america, as well, in terms of being a big time draw. I could see an old boys club in baseball for sure.

I don't get that sense in hockey, but wtf do I know. Its not like I hobnob with billionaires. But I just don't think hockey is frankly popular enough in the states for it to even BE an old boys network in the first place. I think they have their hands full just finding and keeping twenty good owners let alone thirty good ones. Doesn't make for much of an exclusive club.

Dude, to have those problems.

Um..this isn't an "I got crabs from that super model orgy last night" kind of problem. Financial ruin is financial ruin.

Um..this isn't an "I got crabs from that super model orgy last night" kind of problem. Financial ruin is financial ruin.

Well, yes and no. As Juliuseizure astutely pointed out in his post, no matter how this comes out, Nic Cage is not going to be on foodstamps.

Well, yes and no. As Juliuseizure astutely pointed out in his post, no matter how this comes out, Nic Cage is not going to be on foodstamps.

Sure, but it's never easy to downgrade one's lifestyle. I know, boo ing-hoo, but I still don't think his position is anything to envy. The regret alone would kill me.

What I heard was Nic Cage got really upset that a lot of his books he bought came back restored and he go so po that he sold them all. ;)

Fishler came on and disputed that.

The "official" story goes that Cage was so upset that his best three books were stolen during a party (Action #1, Tec #27 and a later issue of MMC were framed and sitting on a wall) that he got peeved and sold his collection.

If anybody wants to read between the lines, well...that's another story.

What I heard was Nic Cage got really upset that a lot of his books he bought came back restored and he go so po that he sold them all. ;)

Fishler came on and disputed that.

The "official" story goes that Cage was so upset that his best three books were stolen during a party (Action #1, Tec #27 and a later issue of MMC were framed and sitting on a wall) that he got peeved and sold his collection.

If anybody wants to read between the lines, well...that's another story.

thanks for clarifying it.

The divorce?

no, just the general sense that a wife of a comic collector is going to at some point tell him to get rid of them.

present company excluded of course

The divorce?

no, just the general sense that a wife of a comic collector is going to at some point tell him to get rid of them.

present company excluded of course

lol