• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death of the monthy price guides

45 posts in this topic

OK, I can deal with Wizard not having a price guide, but how on earth do you call yourself Comic Price Guide with no price guide? Me thinks a name change is in order.

I've never even heard of this magazine. I searched Google but there's too many matches. Just curious, anyone have a pic of this mag?

http://www.cbgxtra.com/

where have you been all these years?

:preach:

WEBHEAD

Aren't you confusing everyone by referring to Comic Buyers Guide (CBG) as "CPG" or variations thereof? I think you're talking about Maggie Thompson's publication, started out in a tabloid newspaper format by Alan Light as The Buyers Guide, then became the CBG when Don & Maggie took it over. Then it stopped being a weekly paper and turned into a monthly magazine about 5 years ago. It's that publication this thread is about, yes? (shrug)

I do know and have read CBG (thumbs u

Well if price guides are dead/dying how do LCS price their back issues?
who is following who with all this pricing business? i thought the lcs was setting the price which was reported in the guides. if not, then where does the guide get their prices?

Uh oh.

You better not let anyone catch you saying that out loud...

(they're listening.....)

:eek:

lol

The cat is out of the bag.

Well if price guides are dead/dying how do LCS price their back issues?
who is following who with all this pricing business? i thought the lcs was setting the price which was reported in the guides. if not, then where does the guide get their prices?

Uh oh.

You better not let anyone catch you saying that out loud...

(they're listening.....)

:eek:

lol

The cat is out of the bag.

You gotta wonder how long it would take the masses to figure out this Keystone Kops charade....

lol

"you've got me...?? Who's got YOU??"

youvegotme.jpg

OK, I can deal with Wizard not having a price guide, but how on earth do you call yourself Comic Price Guide with no price guide? Me thinks a name change is in order.

I've never even heard of this magazine. I searched Google but there's too many matches. Just curious, anyone have a pic of this mag?

WEBHEAD

Aren't you confusing everyone by referring to Comic Buyers Guide (CBG) as "CPG" or variations thereof? I think you're talking about Maggie Thompson's publication, started out in a tabloid newspaper format by Alan Light as The Buyers Guide, then became the CBG when Don & Maggie took it over. Then it stopped being a weekly paper and turned into a monthly magazine about 5 years ago. It's that publication this thread is about, yes? (shrug)

Thanks. I thought it just might be the OP's confusion. CBG used to rule, that was the best way to buy comics before Ebay and the internet.

WEBHEAD

You're correct, but I believe is referred to as the Comic Book Price Guide now.

My mistake, but still removing the comic book prices puts collectors in a mess (thumbs u

WEBHEAD

It's not - it's still the Comic Buyers Guide (CBG).

I think you're confusing it with the OSPG - the full title of that book is "The Official Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide".