• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Collecting in the UK

31 posts in this topic

Firstly, Hi to everyone here. I’m new to these forums and (Relatively) new to the wonderful world of CGC.

I’ve been a comic collector (Mainly Marvel and specifically X-Men) in the UK since about 1982 but have only started getting involved with certified issues earlier this year. I’m hoping to duplicate my existing collection of Uncanny X-Men 101 – 450 with a set of 9.6 / 9.8’s. I say duplicate as taking a gamble on sending my existing collection is very costly. Once return postage to the US is added on top of CGC’s fee it becomes highly cost ineffective when compared to buying an already certified 9.8 from Ebay. I could send one of my prized collection direct to CGC, but by the time I’ve added about £30 P&P on to the $17 for the grading, I could just buy an already certified issue for about £10 more.

If there are any other UK collectors out there, I’d really like to hear about your collecting experiences as well as any little gems of advice you might have to share.

Thanks in advance

WTTB :applause:

CGC collecting in the UK ain't easy, but someone has to do it. I too find the cost of transatlantic shipping a great detterent to my slabbing aspirations. If only they had a UK office...

You'll find a motley crew of UK boardies in the 'Permanent Comic Collecting Polls & FAQ' section, in their very own ongoing thread.

The other issue you have with slabbing your own stuff is that you're not going to be getting back all 9.6s and 9.8s, thus making the finances look even worse. :eek:

For those sort of issues, I wouldn't recommend slabbed copies, unless money is no object. If you were US-based, there's an argument to be made, but in the UK? Might as well spend the money on other books, IMHO.

BTW, WTTB! (thumbs u

WTTB. I would also take FT's advice. But I would add that if you want to get books graded it's not that expensive especially if you have books you really value and are off value. It's all about choosing the right books to send and knowing yourself how to grade. It should cost you around £25 for upto 20 books (maybe more) to send out to the USA plus your $17 - 35 for the grading fees and $80 (for upto 10 books) to get them returned and if I remember $95 for upto 20. If you're willing, the more books you submit the cheaper per book it costs.

It's not cheap but doable if you have some decent graded keys or books you cherish. I also might add that the boards here are a great place to buy books and even with postage it can work out cheaper than buying from dealers, plus if you're really nice there are some really stand up UK boardies here that can help you build your collection :) I know they have helped me.

If you become a fully paid member of CGC you get three free submission coupons which would save you some money if any of your books are worth a lot of money. You can then use the online submission forms and receive 10% off your submission fees (although you can do that without joining). That would be the most cost effective way of submitting if you really want to.

And if you do end up submitting, as Gaz says, send in either 10 or 20 at a time on the same tier. It takes the bite out of return shipping.

I fully agree with your comments Flaming_Telepath (Plus I'm in awe of your banner!).

Athough I've treated my collection with just about as much care as is humanly possible, I'm fully aware of the stringency CGC apply (Rightly so as well). To pay the price and get them back as a 9.6 isn't worth the cost.

Looks like I'll continue to trawl e-bay.com.

Has anyone used Wolfcom's submission service? He is charging £19 per modern (including P@P). To me, and compared to the service provided by other stores, it sounds a little too good to be true.

Guys, the advice regarding keys and high value books is valid. (thumbs u

However, he's talking about X-Men #101 to #400 odd.

The #101 is worth coin in 9.6s and 9.8s...the rest is debateable unless in 9.8 and 9.9. Below that grade level, we're talking slabbing/shipping fees outweighing the market value of the vast majority.

I fully agree with your comments Flaming_Telepath (Plus I'm in awe of your banner!).

Athough I've treated my collection with just about as much care as is humanly possible, I'm fully aware of the stringency CGC apply (Rightly so as well). To pay the price and get them back as a 9.6 isn't worth the cost.

Looks like I'll continue to trawl e-bay.com.

Has anyone used Wolfcom's submission service? He is charging £19 per modern (including P@P). To me, and compared to the service provided by other stores, it sounds a little too good to be true.

£19 is low, but not stupidly so if he's submitting in true bulk and especially if he's using a US contact for onwards shipping. hm

I think between the lot of you, that you should be able to locate many of these books within the UK...no?

F_T, got any up your sleeve?

:baiting:

Another option is that I have bought CGC graded books in the UK but had them removed from their holders before they were shipped to me in Canada. I know that some prefer slabbed books but in my case the books were for a raw run and the savings in shipping were great.

However, he's talking about X-Men #101 to #400 odd.

The #101 is worth coin in 9.6s and 9.8s...the rest is debateable unless in 9.8 and 9.9. Below that grade level, we're talking slabbing/shipping fees outweighing the market value of the vast majority.

I wouldn't know, I don't do Marvel :insane:

Paul at Wolfcom is a nice bloke to deal with, I sort of used him for my first submission. He sent me forms out and passed on his discount to me, although he no longer does that.

My advice would be to get to know the boards first, something may always pop up as you get to know people (thumbs u

You could always do what I do and buy bloody expensive some ing amazing comics so that slabbing fees would be a low proportion of the cost

and Welcome

Fixed that for ya Imran (thumbs u

Wife has just given me another option. Sister in law is moving to NYC in the new year for a couple of years. If I can convince her that she'll get incredibly homesick, I'm sure I can get her to come home every few months (Thus completely removing the shipping). If I'm really shrewd, I'll try and convince the wife to go and visit as well to give me a few weeks of uninterrupted Modern Warfare 2!

Wife has just given me another option. Sister in law is moving to NYC in the new year for a couple of years. If I can convince her that she'll get incredibly homesick, I'm sure I can get her to come home every few months (Thus completely removing the shipping). If I'm really shrewd, I'll try and convince the wife to go and visit as well to give me a few weeks of uninterrupted Modern Warfare 2!

I like your style, the perfect combination of comics and MW2! (thumbs u

:o

Why can't I have an arrangement like that? (worship)

Hi Stryfe. :hi: Welcome to the boards.

You're right that it will not be cost effective to get your books slabbed. Far cheaper and less risky to just track them down pre slabbed. If you really want to do a submission then I'd recommend a fairly small batch which would give you a good idea of the cost and grading standards and make it your best books so that you won't be losing too much money on it. Like FT said, # 101 is the biggest value book of that bunch.

There are a lot of X Men books from # 101 and upwards that have been slabbed so it'd be a relatively easy run to find if you were in the US. With a bit of patience and perseverance you'll be able to track them down. I only just sold my # 121 CGC 9.6 a couple of weeks ago or I'd have offered you it. :sorry:

Oh yeah, visiting relatives from the US are great. Every time my sister in law visits from Texas, I get her to bring me a bunch into the country. :banana: