• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Alan Moore series or story arc

Favorite Alan Moore run series or story arc  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Alan Moore run series or story arc

124 posts in this topic

I'm probably a little biased as I was a Swamp Thing fan already when the series began. I missed the first several and had to pay 20 bucks for # 21....and in the 80's you have to remember that you could still get Ditko ASM's in highgrade for 40 bucks. It took me quite a while to find one...it was hot, hot, hot. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It would be very easy to be biased as soon as you read issue 21, because then you went into the Alan Moore trance and there was nothing he could do wrong from there.

What a creative genius.

His words, during the Swamp Thing run, were so concise and so razor sharp they were like a punch to the face.

I really loved the story where finally laid to rest the idea that Swamp Thing was actually Alec Holland. It was Swamp Thing #28. Swamp Thing was having visions of the Ghost of Alec and had to find his remains to give them a final resting place.

The entire story is a metaphor for letting the past die, for moving on, for freeing yourself of your mistakes and regrets so that you can live again.

I love it so much that I vastly overpaid for this page that sums up the entire story for me.

SwampThing28pg21.jpg

And if you don't choke up a little at ST #28.....you have no heart.

:gossip: ....there's no such thing as vastly overpayiing for a priceless ICON page. That was a McManus issue wasn't it?...next best thing to Wrightson. GOD BLESS...

Man.

Seriously, Swamp Thing #28 is probably one of the most touching comics I've ever read in my entire life. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

WARNING: You should read this issue by youself. Explaining why there are tears in your eyes won't be fun. ;)

:sumo: I think it would be fun.

I have read Saga of Swamp Thing book two today,and I thought it was awesome :applause:

I have to admiit Issue #28 was a very heartbreaking issue.

I hate to admit this...but I've never read MiracleMan. Looking at the number of people whom I admire and respect speak so positively about it, I suppose I'll have to add it to my list. Which issues are by Moore and did Totleben do many of them ?...he's one of my all time favorites, possibly the most talented artist to ever emerge from the Kubert school. GOD BLESS...

#1-16, but unfortuantely, due to rights issues, it's very expensive to obtain a set.

#1-10 are easiest, no more than $2-$5 each, but after that, it gets really spendy....

And because of the rights issues, the trades reprinting the series are even rarer than the original books, which translates into more expense.

:(

Totleben drew issues #11-16, the Olympus storyline. Also did the cover for #9.

I hate to admit this...but I've never read MiracleMan. Looking at the number of people whom I admire and respect speak so positively about it, I suppose I'll have to add it to my list. Which issues are by Moore and did Totleben do many of them ?...he's one of my all time favorites, possibly the most talented artist to ever emerge from the Kubert school. GOD BLESS...

#1-16, but unfortuantely, due to rights issues, it's very expensive to obtain a set.

#1-10 are easiest, no more than $2-$5 each, but after that, it gets really spendy....

And because of the rights issues, the trades reprinting the series are even rarer than the original books, which translates into more expense.

Figures the Totleben issues would be the toughest.....about how much are we talking ? GOD BLESS...

another vote for MM and Swampy and the usual suspects, but one work people haven't mentioned that I really enjoyed is From Hell. The story of Jack the Ripper is pretty much the last thing I ever thought I would find interesting but he told it in such a way that I couldn't stop turning the pages. Great read.

If you haven't read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing...which kicked off with the greatest and most brilliant origin twist in the history of comics ...you're just missing out.

The first true (and still greatest) ret-con of them all. I love his run on SOST. The blueprint for the entire Vertigo line.

Still, Miracleman is my favorite Moore book. And, "Olympus" my favorite arc of all time. As Sal said, MM really began to deconstruct the super-hero early on. "Olympus" was the culmination of his deconstruction/reconstruction. It was the first arc to explore the "true reality" of the superhuman/hero. The first time someone really addressed the question, "If you had super-powers, what would you do?"

"V" was amazing and, as Felix stated earlier, raw and passionate. The first time I read it, I was blown-away. But, I feel it loses a little on subsequent readings (maybe b/c it "feels" dated). Still, I think it's great...just not his best.

"Watchmen"....what can you say? #2 on my list. Nothing prior to Watchmen was even close to ambitious. So well crafted and executed. Really good on the first read, and better on subsequent reads. It is pretty "heavy" for a comic (although not near as heavy as "From Hell") and takes multiple readings to really "get it". Still, 12 issues and you "know" that world, and the people that populate it. He creates a "comic universe" and gives you a great story all in the span of 12 issues (not to mention some of the sequences in all of comics; Dr. Manhattan constructing his crystal palace on Mars in #5).

Figures the Totleben issues would be the toughest.....about how much are we talking ? GOD BLESS...

I haven't bought any of those issues in awhile, but here's what I would "budget" for the "Totlebon arcs" ("Olympus"). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (I'm "erroring on the side of caution")"

This is for NM-/NM copies (9.2-9.4 range)

11-14: $30/ea

15: $125

16: $45

If you "budget" the above amounts for each book, you should be more than good. You can definitely nab them for lower. But, budget with the above numbers and you should come in well under.

That's not too bad.....I saw a couple in the Sales Forum and thought the covers were fantastic. They were pricey, even here....but with copper and moderns that just usually means that the material is dynamite. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Pardon my questions, but why is 15 so much higher ?

That's not too bad.....I saw a couple in the Sales Forum and thought the covers were fantastic. They were pricey, even here....but with copper and moderns that just usually means that the material is dynamite. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Pardon my insufficiently_thoughtful_person-like qualities, but why is 15 so much higher ?

#15 is the most as it is recognized as the "key book" in the run. I can "spoil" it for you, if you'd like.....

sandman #9 is pretty heart wrenching. :cry:

Sandman is great from start to finish. Still have the #8 you gave me on my trip out there ("Best Host Ever", by the way...).

My favorite issue is #13 - the first meeting of Morpheus and Hobbes. Just hit me "right" at the "right time". Such good stuff...and he followed up with "Seasons of Mist". Gaiman was on fire at that point.

P.S. Pardon my questions, but why is 15 so much higher ?

#15 is actually the rarest of the Alan Moore run. It had a low print run to begin with, and it's believed that most of the copies were destroyed in the Guerneville flood of 1993.

Plus, it's....well, I don't wanna spoil it for ya. :)

if anyone has a level of technological comfort with torrent files, there are torrents out there with the entire Miracleman run on them...which is how i was able to read that story in its entirety

(thumbs u