• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Alan Moore series or story arc

Favorite Alan Moore run series or story arc  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Alan Moore run series or story arc

124 posts in this topic

I'm probably a little biased as I was a Swamp Thing fan already when the series began. I missed the first several and had to pay 20 bucks for # 21....and in the 80's you have to remember that you could still get Ditko ASM's in highgrade for 40 bucks. It took me quite a while to find one...it was hot, hot, hot. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It would be very easy to be biased as soon as you read issue 21, because then you went into the Alan Moore trance and there was nothing he could do wrong from there.

What a creative genius.

TKJ is one of those stories that, as I get older, I like less than other stuff Moore did.

Don't get me wrong, I like TKJ, but I agree with Moore that it's not his best work. It seems a bit gratuitous and ends limply.

The mainstream Moore stuff I have come to especially like are the few Tales of the Green Lantern Corps things he did. Talk about not being beholden to a crystalline structure. Whatever the heck that means. It's also an area of the DCU that was only barely explored at the time he wrote them.

But the first 4 issues of Miracleman are some of the best comics you'll ever read. Really, it was the first deconstruction of the super hero that he explored a lot more fully later on, and you can tell how much the character meant to him

D.R. and Quinch!

Seriously.

Two alien juvenile deliqunets get into all kinds of crazy hijinks! With art by Alan Davis. Printed in 2000AD in the early/mid-80s.

Brooding Alan Moore can get tiring. Funny Alan Moore rocks!

I'm probably a little biased as I was a Swamp Thing fan already when the series began. I missed the first several and had to pay 20 bucks for # 21....and in the 80's you have to remember that you could still get Ditko ASM's in highgrade for 40 bucks. It took me quite a while to find one...it was hot, hot, hot. GOD BLESS...

It would be very easy to be biased as soon as you read issue 21, because then you went into the Alan Moore trance and there was nothing he could do wrong from there.

What a creative genius.

His words, during the Swamp Thing run, were so concise and so razor sharp they were like a punch to the face.

I really loved the story where finally laid to rest the idea that Swamp Thing was actually Alec Holland. It was Swamp Thing #28. Swamp Thing was having visions of the Ghost of Alec and had to find his remains to give them a final resting place.

The entire story is a metaphor for letting the past die, for moving on, for freeing yourself of your mistakes and regrets so that you can live again.

I love it so much that I vastly overpaid for this page that sums up the entire story for me.

SwampThing28pg21.jpg

I have gotten die hard Marvel Zombies...people who have never read a DC book in their lives....to read Swamp Thing and enjoy it.

If you haven't read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing...which kicked off with the greatest and most brilliant origin twist in the history of comics...you're just missing out.

Miracleman is the best thing Alan Moore ever wrote. No doubt. The whole series is brilliant, and Olympus is maddeningly incredible. But Swamp Thing is 99.9999% of the greatness that Miracleman is.

Plus....John Totleben, all around!

:cloud9:

What a creative genius.

His words, during the Swamp Thing run, were so concise and so razor sharp they were like a punch to the face.

I really loved the story where finally laid to rest the idea that Swamp Thing was actually Alec Holland. It was Swamp Thing #28. Swamp Thing was having visions of the Ghost of Alec and had to find his remains to give them a final resting place.

The entire story is a metaphor for letting the past die, for moving on, for freeing yourself of your mistakes and regrets so that you can live again.

I love it so much that I vastly overpaid for this page that sums up the entire story for me.

SwampThing28pg21.jpg

And if you don't choke up a little at ST #28.....you have no heart.

Chris, how many times can you and I agree on things before I get the feeling we are brothers separated at birth? :o

If there is one series/run I will never let go of, it is my Alan Moore Swamp Things which I value even more than my Frank Miller Daredevils.

There are so many super stories in this run, you would never lose interest.

What a creative genius.

SwampThing28pg21.jpg

:gossip: ....there's no such thing as vastly overpayiing for a priceless ICON page. That was a McManus issue wasn't it?...next best thing to Wrightson. GOD BLESS...

As I have posted before, ST is the only book that ever scared me as I read it. I started with 34 and immediately began buying and reading the back issues as well. By the time American Gothic was in full swing, I was :cloud9: The invunche still creeps me out . . .

This one statement has convinced me to read his run. What issue does it start and end? By the way I choose Watchmen. Its the only thing of his that I have read beside TKJ.

I loved Watchmen.

This one statement has convinced me to read his run. What issue does it start and end? By the way I choose Watchmen. Its the only thing of his that I have read beside TKJ.

I loved Watchmen.

Saga of the Swamp Thing 20 is where Moore closes out the previous story from the other writer, and 21 is where he kicks off his take on the character. I'd start with 21 where the entire origin is redone and go all the way through to 64. But don't forget the annuals, starting with #3.

I loved Watchmen.

Saga of the Swamp Thing 20 is where Moore closes out the previous story from the other writer, and 21 is where he kicks off his take on the character. I'd start with 21 where the entire origin is redone and go all the way through to 64. But don't forget the annuals, starting with #3.

OMG that sounds a lot of money. Do they have it in trade lol

I loved Watchmen.

OMG that sounds a lot of money. Do they have it in trade lol

lol Yes, they do. The entire run.

I loved Watchmen.

You could start with #1, the revamped series, which explains how Swampy got to issue #20, and fills in the backstory of Abby and Matt Cable...it makes #29-31, Annual #2 make more sense...and it's so cheap, it's easy to get...

Not vital, but it does make a good start.

What a creative genius.

SwampThing28pg21.jpg

:gossip: ....there's no such thing as vastly overpayiing for a priceless ICON page. That was a McManus issue wasn't it?...next best thing to Wrightson. GOD BLESS...

Man.

Seriously, Swamp Thing #28 is probably one of the most touching comics I've ever read in my entire life. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

WARNING: You should read this issue by youself. Explaining why there are tears in your eyes won't be fun. ;)

What a creative genius.

SwampThing28pg21.jpg

Man.

Seriously, Swamp Thing #28 is probably one of the most touching comics I've ever read in my entire life. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

WARNING: You should read this issue by youself. Explaining why there are tears in your eyes won't be fun. ;)

:sumo: I think it would be fun.

Have been reading Moore since I was a child as I read 2000AD from 1979 onwards, though this was obviously prior to me knowing who Alan Moore was.

My top ten:

1. Miracleman - unsurprisingly - love it, read it, collect it to the nth degree

2. Swamp Thing - a very close second, particularly love Swamp Thing Annual no.2 "Down Amongst The Dead Men" and no.34 which I read as a 14 yr old child and have continued to read regularly since. Being an overtly sexual story, no.34 had quite an effect on my young mind! :sick:

3. Captain Britain - the run from Marvel Super Heroes & Daredevils - it's mad, funny and compelling. The Fury is a great villain - and would to to see a re-match with Miraclemarvelman.

4. 2000AD Future Shocks & Timetwisters

5. V for Vendetta

6. Watchmen

7. Halo Jones, particularly Book 2

8. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

9. Maxwell the Magic Cat - great stuff

10. Captain Airstrip One

I have not read any Moore post Killing Joke!

I hate to admit this...but I've never read MiracleMan. Looking at the number of people whom I admire and respect speak so positively about it, I suppose I'll have to add it to my list. Which issues are by Moore and did Totleben do many of them ?...he's one of my all time favorites, possibly the most talented artist to ever emerge from the Kubert school. GOD BLESS...