• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Alan Moore series or story arc

Favorite Alan Moore run series or story arc  

201 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Alan Moore run series or story arc

124 posts in this topic

Have been reading Moore since I was a child as I read 2000AD from 1979 onwards, though this was obviously prior to me knowing who Alan Moore was.

My top ten:

1. Miracleman - unsurprisingly - love it, read it, collect it to the nth degree

2. Swamp Thing - a very close second, particularly love Swamp Thing Annual no.2 "Down Amongst The Dead Men" and no.34 which I read as a 14 yr old child and have continued to read regularly since. Being an overtly sexual story, no.34 had quite an effect on my young mind! :sick:

3. Captain Britain - the run from Marvel Super Heroes & Daredevils - it's mad, funny and compelling. The Fury is a great villain - and would to to see a re-match with Miraclemarvelman.

4. 2000AD Future Shocks & Timetwisters

5. V for Vendetta

6. Watchmen

7. Halo Jones, particularly Book 2

8. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

9. Maxwell the Magic Cat - great stuff

10. Captain Airstrip One

I have not read any Moore post Killing Joke!

Yes, the Future Shocks and Timetwisters are really great! There's one, I think it's called "Chrono Cops," or "Chrono Police," something like that, what a great, trippy read.

Halo Jones is also one of my favorites, and I think you're right, book two is the best. Book 3 borrows a bit too much from "The Forever War," but it's also very good. I like book one for it's quasi-cyberpunk flavor.

if anyone has a level of technological comfort with torrent files, there are torrents out there with the entire Miracleman run on them...which is how i was able to read that story in its entirety

(thumbs u

You're a bad influence. (tsk)

Actually, after one of the previous MM discussions where you mentioned this, I decided it was about time for me to read it as well, despite my dislike for reading comics on a computer screen. :shy:

There are also other ways to get it for those not comfortable with torrents. :whistle:

I'd much rather see Marvel secure the remaining rights they need to reprint it and actually get some of my money for the first time in over a decade... but I'm not holding my breath.

if anyone has a level of technological comfort with torrent files, there are torrents out there with the entire Miracleman run on them...which is how i was able to read that story in its entirety

(thumbs u

Actually, after one of the previous MM discussions where you mentioned this, I decided it was about time for me to read it as well, despite my dislike for reading comics on a computer screen. :shy:

There are also other ways to get it for those not comfortable with torrents. :whistle:

I'd much rather see Marvel secure the remaining rights they need to reprint it and actually get some of my money for the first time in over a decade... but I'm not holding my breath.

While I don't agree with "stealing" copyrighted materials for free...in this case, since no one knows who really owns the rights....yet....I think an exception can be made.

It conflicts me.

:)

(thumbs u

While I don't agree with "stealing" copyrighted materials for free...in this case, since no one knows who really owns the rights....yet....I think an exception can be made.

It conflicts me.

:)

CURSE YOU TODD MCFARLANE!!! :pullhair:smiley-angry002.gif

No love for the League then?

Top Ten is great.

The first series was really interesting.

The second series became very warped, IMHO. Having Mister Hyde rape the Invisible Man to death was way out of the norm, and not even the closure I would want as a vengence act for what he had done.

Top Ten is great.

The second series became very warped, IMHO. Having Mister Hyde rape the Invisible Man to death was way out of the norm, and not even the closure I would want as a vengence act for what he had done.

Dude,I don't need to read thatsmiley-scared001.gif

Top Ten is great.

:P OoooooKay!

Top Ten is great.

:P OoooooKay!

Not Moore's finest hour with that series.

Top Ten is great.

Warped in what way?

Hyde's dealing with the IM was in perfect character for him - remember he'd been eating his way through groups of people since the first series and the Invisible Man's actions (rape in the first series, betrayal in the second) were always going to lead to some 'justice' being met in a manner suitable to Mr Hyde's monsterous eyes.

Outside of From Hell & Lost Girls the League is Moore's most literary piece of work in the sense that he interweaves fantastical sories with well known, and not so well known, literary characters.

Remember also that there is plenty of violence/sexual violence in both Marvelman & V so it's not if this was Moore trying something new just to shock.

Warped in what way?

Hyde's dealing with the IM was in perfect character for him - remember he'd been eating his way through groups of people since the first series and the Invisible Man's actions (rape in the first series, betrayal in the second) were always going to lead to some 'justice' being met in a manner suitable to Mr Hyde's monsterous eyes.

I get your point, but then again it would be something along the lines of tearing him apart, not screwing him to death.

Warped in what way?

I get your point, but then again it would be something along the lines of tearing him apart, not screwing him to death.

Well Hyde was a sexual deviant. And you don't actually see anything - it's all in the mind!

Warped in what way?

Well Hyde was a sexual deviant. And you don't actually see anything - it's all in the mind!

But I thought Alan Moore was against any type of negetivity towards Homosexuals? Or was Hyde a straight up Psycho who would screw anything?

Warped in what way?

But I thought Alan Moore was against any type of negetivity towards Homosexuals? Or was Hyde a straight up Psycho who would screw anything?

Have you actually read this book hm

Actually, Hyde DID tear him apart. That he did so by screwing him to death is apparently what is causing the objection here.

Love it or hate it (I happened to get a good laugh out of that sequence), it was certainly memorable. I'm not a big LOEG fan, but I'd love to get the OA to that page. It would hang nicely in the guest room.

Actually, Hyde DID tear him apart. That he did so by screwing him to death is apparently what is causing the objection here.

Love it or hate it (I happened to get a good laugh out of that sequence), it was certainly memorable. I'm not a big LOEG fan, but I'd love to get the OA to that page. It would hang nicely in the guest room.

Perfect choice,

You don't want guests staying too long or getting too comfortable. lol

The Invisible Man's demise is almost archetypal poetic justice. He was a rapist of young girls, it's just desserts that he met his end the same way. :eek: