• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Owner of the Elektra #25 cvr by Siekiewicz, please contact!! IMPORTANT!!

58 posts in this topic

+1 Ferran,

Thanks for the insight into the Sienkiewicz market and current rep. after being an under bidder on the New Mutants 29 cover auctioned at Heritage just over a year ago (and now belonging to the Donnellys) I was very interested in purchasing a more current painted from a OA vendor.

Other ventures and acquisitions turned my attention but the information regarding Sienkiewicz's various formats in terms of the published version and the potential lack of full disclosure out there are definitely important notes to consider. Once again this OA forum proves an invaluable resource in arming collectors with information for consideration.

(thumbs u

Jbud73,

Thanks for the support!

I'm sorry that you didn't win the NM #29 cover, because yours would be a much better home that where it ended. Fortunately, the NM #31, also auctioned in Heritage, was won by a another fellow collector who owns one of the finest collection of Sienkiewicz art. He kindly sent me a pic of the cover, that I posted in my blog:

NM #31 cover.

Don't worry too much about not buying to Sienkiewicz's art dealer, because I also own a nice collection, and I bought almost all of the pieces to auction houses or to private collectors. Also, the best pieces are already in the open market, so if you're patience, you'll find your piece sooner or latert.

This is my CAF gallery, where you'll find the NM #21 cover among other nice pieces:

Ferran's CAF gallery.

Also, visit my blog for jumbo images of many NM pages and other pieces by Sienkiewicz. To translate, click the button at the top of the column at the right.

Ferran Delgado's blog.

I'm sorry that you didn't win the NM #29 cover, because yours would be a much better home that where it ended.

I tried to search market data before for this cover and couldn't locate it for some reason. Now I see it. It still took a couple of tries. Wonder why...Hmm

Anyway sold 11/17/2007 for $2,987.50 and now they are asking 8k? Who says the market on OA is down !

They bought the NM DPS for $800 or less, and I wonder what they are aking for it.

Forget about the pieces owned by the Donnellys and Sal, they are lost forever. Prices are ridiculous, as it was stated when Sal auctioned a few pieces with no reserve in eBay. They hardly got the fifth part of the price marked in the official site. He never repeated the experience, I wonder why...

The most important pieces are already in the open market, so go for them! Just check CAF for private offerings, eBay, Heritage, ComicLink, etc...

As a sample of the inflated prices, just check list of prices posted at the bottom.

When Mitch was still Sienkiewicz's art rep, Bill attended to the Barcelona Con back in 2006 (only three years ago!). Mitch offered many of his pieces through an exhibition in a small exhibition room, and this is the list of the prices of the pieces offered there. I don't remember how it was the exchange dollar-euro, but I'd bet that dollar was stronger, so recent b&w covers would cost $1,500, as opossite to the $6,000 of the official site nowadays.

Here it is where I started my collecting, when I got hooked with the The Hand cover:

Elektra: The Hand #2 cover.

the information regarding Sienkiewicz's various formats in terms of the published version and the potential lack of full disclosure out there are definitely important notes to consider. /quote]

As you pointed, this is very important since, as it could be seen in the comparation of the Elektra #23 cover at the beginning of this topic, Sienkiewicz alters the original with the computer in various degree, so it's BASIC that you get accurate description and a trustable image of the original, not the finished piece.

This is another item that I'm pissed off about his new art dealer, because he keeps offering for sale images of the finished product in his CAF gallery.

This is a piece recently displayed for sale at Sal's CAF gallery, as you can see with no description:

Green Lantern Poster.

And this is a sample of the difference between the published image and the original:

sienkiewiczbladerunner1.jpg

sienkiexpoprices.jpg

Well, it looks like Sal is doing his homework.

He has removed the Dune production copy from his site, and changed the status of the Green Lantern poster from "pLease inquire about purchase" to "NFS".

It's a pity that I had to exposure this issue to get him to do his job decently.

Anyway, the first point was NOT to remove the Dune production copy from his site, but ADD an accurate description of the item. The second point was to display REAL images of the drawings you're selling, not postproducion images.

I think that it's not too hard to understand...

Thanks for the tip!

Anyway, it's nothing wrong with that. The prelim is legit and sold by the same seller than the original drawing used in the published comic, and the painting has an accurate description, so good luck for them in the auctions!

I think that maybe I should ask them for a comission because of the promotion done in this topic... ;-)

Thanks to the auction, I could contact the owner of the painting, Carl Wyckaert.

He tried to register here, but he couldn't, so I'm posting this in his behalf:

"When I bought the piece from the former owner I thought (as did he) that it was the art for the published cover. The published cover looks heavily photoshopped so it was hard to judge. The figure itself looks pretty close to the published version, but the guns and the rest of the background look different.

Regarding the pen and ink version, I'm not judging there. I was under the impression that Bill worked 100% direct color during his Elektra period and would be surprised that he used pen and ink for a cover while working direct color for the interiors. But as said again, I've no basis to support this claim. The signature looks correct though.

The key reason why I changed the description, is that I cannot find any trace of "production" information on the piece. No Marvel stickers, no description, ... nothing. So I'm taking the safe road in my description. Anyway it remains a superb piece of art"

As I commented him, the Elektra #24 cover was also drawn in ink, as it can be stated here:

Elektra #24 cover comparation.

Since Carl doesn't mind about the fact that he bought it as the published piece, and he thinks that the former owner acted honestly, it's not my business anymore.

I removed the name of the former owner from Carl's text because he doesn't want his name posted in a public forum, and I respect this.

I agree with Carl that it's a fantastic painting, and I'd be very happy to add it to my own collection if I could afford it.

Why bother when you KNOW it is 4x over market price.

Not to mention, depending who you are, will determine the price.

I agree.

My comment was more fiction than fact.

They need a better SARCASM gremlin :makepoint:

Hmmm

sarcasm-1.gif

or

sarcasm.gif

Why bother when you KNOW it is 4x over market price.

Not to mention, depending who you are, will determine the price.

I agree.

My comment was more fiction than fact.

They need a better SARCASM gremlin :makepoint:

Hmmm

sarcasm-1.gif

or

sarcasm.gif

Are you being sarcastic, or is that your attempt at humor (shrug)

:jokealert: