• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the strongest foreign markets for back issue comics?

26 posts in this topic

Personally I think Canada is the strongest foreign market for both raw and CGC back issues.

Followed by the UK (even though the UK has a much larger population than Canada).

What would be after that?

Maybe Australia? (they speak English there)

Are there other foreign countries that stand out as the best markets for old comics?

Japan? Germany? France? Italy? Spain? Mexico? Brazil?

Personally I think Canada is the strongest foreign market for both raw and CGC back issues.

Followed by the UK (even though the UK has a much larger population than Canada).

Are there other foreign countries that stand out as the best markets for old comics?

Japan? Germany? France? Italy? Spain? Mexico? Brazil?

I've shipped comics all over the world. I would agree that Canada is probably the strongest with the UK being a close second. After that? I've shipped books to Australia, Germany, Italy, Spain and Brazil but have never had any buyers from Japan, France or Mexico. I'd probably go with Germany.

I've shipped books to Australia, Germany, Italy, Spain and Brazil but have never had any buyers from Japan, France or Mexico.

I find odd that JAPAN is not a huge market for comics given:

1. the Japanese love for American pop culture, and all things American

2. Japanese economic power

3. Japanese appreciation for animation (i.e. manga, etc.)

4. US influence on Japan following the end of WW-II

5. Japanese appetite for foreign investments

I've shipped books to Australia, Germany, Italy, Spain and Brazil but have never had any buyers from Japan, France or Mexico.

I know what you mean. Maybe it's something to do with Japan having a very strong, pervasive, idiosyncratic and beloved comics scene of their own. Maybe they've generally (in the past) found Western-style comics unappealing?

EDIT: Despite which, you just know there are going to be a good number of Japanese Supaidaaman!-otaku (or whatever they call themselves) with choice collections. Geekiness is in the Japanese blood (and I say that with great admiration).

I know what you mean. Maybe it's something to do with Japan having a very strong, pervasive, idiosyncratic and beloved comics scene of their own. Maybe they've generally (in the past) found Western-style comics unappealing?

EDIT: Despite which, you just know there are going to be a good number of Japanese Supaidaaman!-otaku (or whatever they call themselves) with choice collections. Geekiness is in the Japanese blood (and I say that with great admiration).

Maybe the 1940's covers turned them off US comics permanently:

97_4_0000058.jpg

Shipping kills us. And most collectors have never heard of CGC as we have no LCSs to sell them.

Sort of.

Maybe the 1940's covers turned them off US comics permanently:

97_4_0000058.jpg

Oh god doh!

lol And that's far from the worst of them, I know! I'd love to see some foreign anti-English propaganda. I'm curious to know what traits would be exagerrated or invented for us hm

And that's far from the worst of them, I know! I'd love to see some foreign anti-English propaganda. I'm curious to know what traits would be exagerrated or invented for us hm

I imagine it'd be something along the lines of the stereotypes in Asterix In Britain, only obviously nastier.

One thing Goscinny and Uderzo didn't bring up was Brits' bad teeth, but the Simpsons made up for that.

I was originally going to ask "Foreign to who?" Glad you clarified. Since we are talking about outside the USA:

1) Canada.

2) UK.

3) Australia (I've had many requests from here).

4) Brazil.

5) Germany.

Germany definitely has the strongest market in Europe for U.S. comics apart from the U.K. Doesn't hurt that most Germans speak fluent English....

I was originally going to ask "Foreign to who?" Glad you clarified. Since we are talking about outside the USA:

1) Canada.

2) UK.

4) Brazil.

5) Germany.

Germany definitely has the strongest market in Europe for U.S. comics apart from the U.K. Doesn't hurt that most Germans speak fluent English....

Though they won't let on that they do until you are begging for directions. Then they hit you with, "Ohhh, you wanted directions to Hamburg? Why didn't you say so?"

1) Canada.

2) UK.

4) Brazil.

5) Germany.

I agree with that list (based on my experience) with the exception of Brazil

Shipping kills us. And most collectors have never heard of CGC as we have no LCSs to sell them

I hope one day soon CGC comes to the U.K I know many collectors who have tons of high grade comics that wouldnt mind having them slabbed but wont even take the risk of sending them to the US for fear of them being lost,stolen,damaged etc. It would be interesting to see how they would be welcomed over here in general.

Whats odd is that when i was selling Marvel action figures on ebay in 2002-2004 i did a ton of shipping to the Philippines, Hong kong, Taiwan and china . Far more shipping to asia than any other non-NA continent hm

My sales indicate these countries.

1. Canada

2. England

3. Australia

4. Germany/Austria

That's pretty much the same for me on ebay ... I've sold a ton of english-language books by European creatores (Moebius, Serpieri, etc) to people in Japan, though.