• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage question

38 posts in this topic

First off, let me just say I'm not trying to start a conspiracy thread.. I'm simply curious. Someone must know the inner workings of their system better than I do.

I sniped two auctions tonight. Both were at $22 with 5 minutes to go. I set my snipe bids to $66.67. I won both books.. yay! But strangely, the winning bid for both is $66.67!? Exactly my max bid. How the heck does that happen?

First off, let me just say I'm not trying to start a conspiracy thread.. I'm simply curious. Someone must know the inner workings of their system better than I do.

I sniped two auctions tonight. Both were at $22 with 5 minutes to go. I set my snipe bids to $66.67. I won both books.. yay! But strangely, the winning bid for both is $66.67!? Exactly my max bid. How the heck does that happen?

Pure coincidence.

:whistle:

If you bid to a maximum that is in between increments, and there is an under bidder, it will automatically go to your maximium bid.

It works that way on Ebay too, on most auction sites for that matter.

If the increment is $10 for example. $50-60-70 and you bid $66.67 and an underbidder comes in and bids $60 or any amount less than your $66.67 it will go automatically to your max bid.

If you had bid $76.67 and someone bid $60 it would have gone to your bid next but since your max bid is above the minimum increment it would have gone to the increment which would have been $70.

Basically, someone bid below you and your bid was entered by proxy, since it could not meet the increment (since you didn't bid that high) it went to your max amount.

I have given up on Heritage. Won one auction in the last year and every other time Ive gotten sniped by just a little bit.

I find it hard to believe that on each of those occasions I was the closest underbidder to the winning bid. I call shenanigans.

No more... screw the auction houses.

well, that's less exciting than what he was hoping for

lol

Oh well, that's just because I left out the best part.

Did I mention the underbidders are evil alien monkeys? :o

ugly-monkeys2.jpg

And they are bidding to make you spend more money on comics and less money on their own personal kryptonite: DEODORANT SOAP!! :ohnoez:

If you bid to a maximum that is in between increments, and there is an under bidder, it will automatically go to your maximium bid.

If the increment is $10 for example. $50-60-70 and you bid $66.67 and an underbidder comes in and bids $60 or any amount less than your $66.67 it will go automatically to your max bid.

If you had bid $76.67 and someone bid $60 it would have gone to your bid next but since your max bid is above the minimum increment it would have gone to the increment which would have been $70.

Basically, someone bid below you and your bid was entered by proxy, since it could not meet the increment (since you didn't bid that high) it went to your max amount.

Makes sense. So someone must have sniped $60 on those two books I guess.

So what if I max bid $60 and someone else max bid $60. Who wins?

The odds of thsis happening with just two books seems pretty high. But it might not be as high as you think. If you are looking at a pricing service like GPA and you see a book has sold for $65, everybody, including you, now knows that. This is especially true since GPA is pretty widely followed.

So let's say you looked at two similar books and with a target of $65, you put in 66.67 just to be safe, and to beat the guy that puts in a bid at $66.01, trying to beat the guy that puts in the bid at the even $66, also trying to be smart. The guy buying at the GPA price of $65 is the sure loser.

I believe increments are at $3 at that price level on Heritage. So let's say the bid is $63, which is your bid, bunped up from $22 by now. A guy puts in the $66.01. This now re-activates your bid. Since you don't have $69, it tops out at your max of $66.67, which is still high. You win, at your max bid.

Two observations and tips for buying on Heritage.:

1) I have bought tons of stuff on Heritage. I have missed as many books by 5 or 10 cents as I have won books by 5 or 10 cents. It happens. I have also won auctions at 1/3 of my bid. I am pretty well convinced that these auctions are generally straightforward and honest. The key is not to bid more than what you actually want to pay for the book. Sometimes you think: I'll just put in a ridiculous bid to make sure I win. Just your luck somebody else puts in a ridiculous bid and one of you ends up paying, way, way too much.

2) Find what you want on Heritage as soon as the new listings are put up. Enter a minimal bid. This will make sure all the books are located on your list of items with bids. Now wait until the night the auction closes. Enter batch bids on the page of your bids and hit the enter button. It will then ask you to confirm your bids. You can leave this screen open for as long as an hour, from my experience. With about 20 seconds to go hit the confirm button and your bids will go through.

I have found that a minute is far too long. You are very likely to be outbid on a popular book or a lowball number. Even at 15-20 seconds when the ascreen says I am winning, I have still been out bid in the last couple of seconds.

The caveat here, of course, is that an occassional computer glitch, either on my part or at Heritage has wiped out an entire page of bids and I won nothing.

For those that really want to win an item, set up a second page of batch orders with higher prices. If you lose an item on the first batch order, even with a few seconds to go, you will still have a live order ready to go.

If you really want a book badly, DO NOT bid except at the last second, as described above. Most of the time you will simply lose the book to a higher bidder. Guys like me don't mind paying more for a book than the last GPA price, I just want to make sure there are other bidders. If there are, that tells me I can pay more as demand is high. If you wait until the last second, you'll be more surprised at how little you pay for some books.

All this was learned on Ebay years ago, which lead to the evolution of services like e-snipe.

Good luck, maybe this will help a few readers.

Makes sense. So someone must have sniped $60 on those two books I guess.

So what if I max bid $60 and someone else max bid $60. Who wins?

Tie goes to the first bidder that enters $60, I believe.

I find it hard to believe that on each of those occasions I was the closest underbidder to the winning bid. I call shenanigans.

Why? Because no other person in the world might possibly be interested in the same books as you, or bidding around the same amount?

The odds of thsis happening with just two books seems pretty high. But it might not be as high as you think. If you are looking at a pricing service like GPA and you see a book has sold for $65, everybody, including you, now knows that. This is especially true since GPA is pretty widely followed.

So let's say you looked at two similar books and with a target of $65, you put in 66.67 just to be safe, and to beat the guy that puts in a bid at $66.01, trying to beat the guy that puts in the bid at the even $66, also trying to be smart. The guy buying at the GPA price of $65 is the sure loser.

I believe increments are at $3 at that price level on Heritage. So let's say the bid is $63, which is your bid, bunped up from $22 by now. A guy puts in the $66.01. This now re-activates your bid. Since you don't have $69, it tops out at your max of $66.67, which is still high. You win, at your max bid.

Two observations and tips for buying on Heritage.:

1) I have bought tons of stuff on Heritage. I have missed as many books by 5 or 10 cents as I have won books by 5 or 10 cents. It happens. I have also won auctions at 1/3 of my bid. I am pretty well convinced that these auctions are generally straightforward and honest. The key is not to bid more than what you actually want to pay for the book. Sometimes you think: I'll just put in a ridiculous bid to make sure I win. Just your luck somebody else puts in a ridiculous bid and one of you ends up paying, way, way too much.

2) Find what you want on Heritage as soon as the new listings are put up. Enter a minimal bid. This will make sure all the books are located on your list of items with bids. Now wait until the night the auction closes. Enter batch bids on the page of your bids and hit the enter button. It will then ask you to confirm your bids. You can leave this screen open for as long as an hour, from my experience. With about 20 seconds to go hit the confirm button and your bids will go through.

I have found that a minute is far too long. You are very likely to be outbid on a popular book or a lowball number. Even at 15-20 seconds when the ascreen says I am winning, I have still been out bid in the last couple of seconds.

The caveat here, of course, is that an occassional computer glitch, either on my part or at Heritage has wiped out an entire page of bids and I won nothing.

For those that really want to win an item, set up a second page of batch orders with higher prices. If you lose an item on the first batch order, even with a few seconds to go, you will still have a live order ready to go.

If you really want a book badly, DO NOT bid except at the last second, as described above. Most of the time you will simply lose the book to a higher bidder. Guys like me don't mind paying more for a book than the last GPA price, I just want to make sure there are other bidders. If there are, that tells me I can pay more as demand is high. If you wait until the last second, you'll be more surprised at how little you pay for some books.

All this was learned on Ebay years ago, which lead to the evolution of services like e-snipe.

Good luck, maybe this will help a few readers.

This is way too much work. I figure out how much I'm willing to spend on a book, and put in my max bid somewhere between 2-12 hours before closing. If I win, I win at a price that is no more than the max price I'd be willing to spend on the book. If I lose, I lose. I would've lost anyways even if I bid at the last second because there was apparently someone willing to spend more than me and probably would've entered a snipe bid more than my snipe bid anyways.

Why? Because no other person in the world might possibly be interested in the same books as you, or bidding around the same amount?

No, smartass.

Because I never once out of all those attempts was a winner and none of my bids were ever left behind in the dust due to other multiple bidders fighting over books. Perhaps Im wrong but losing 50+ auctions in a row becomes a little hard to bear and I go elsewhere for my comic fix.

Now having said that....

You could have just asked why and I would have answered. No need for smarmy remarks.

People are such on these boards.

Unlike Ebay and some others, there is ALWAYS an under bidder on Heritage auctions.