• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gifflefunk's Research Thread

24 posts in this topic

Many people are unaware of the existence of the white logo Impact #1, because it is not mentioned in Overstreet. Bill Gaines used Charlton's printer for the first printing of Impact #1 and was very displeased with the results and supposedly ordered the entire run destroyed. He then had the issue printed at his regular printer with a yellow logo. Obviously the copies of the first printing (white logo) were not destroyed because they turn up on a fairly regular basis.

I just realized I have a white-logo copy of Impact #1. How rare is this? Is it worth more than the yellow-logo copy? I never knew anything about this even though I read this thread (obviously I wasn't paying attention).

Many people are unaware of the existence of the white logo Impact #1, because it is not mentioned in Overstreet. Bill Gaines used Charlton's printer for the first printing of Impact #1 and was very displeased with the results and supposedly ordered the entire run destroyed. He then had the issue printed at his regular printer with a yellow logo. Obviously the copies of the first printing (white logo) were not destroyed because they turn up on a fairly regular basis.

I just realized I have a white-logo copy of Impact #1. How rare is this? Is it worth more than the yellow-logo copy? I never knew anything about this even though I read this thread (obviously I wasn't paying attention).

When they are cheap I have been picking up white-logo copies on occasion over the years and have not found them to be very hard to find. Like Mutant Manatee mentioned, I wonder if they actually were not all destroyed because they sure do not seem to fit the bill as being rare, or ever scarce. The story behind them does make make them a fun pick-up. There are currently 3 Impact #1s on eBay, two yellow, and one white, and both a yellow and white-logo went unsold about a week ago.

When they are cheap I have been picking up white-logo copies on occasion over the years and have not found them to be very hard to find. Like Mutant Manatee mentioned, I wonder if they actually were not all destroyed because they sure do not seem to fit the bill as being rare, or ever scarce. The story behind them does make make them a fun pick-up. There are currently 3 Impact #1s on eBay, two yellow, and one white, and both a yellow and white-logo went unsold about a week ago.

How many white-logo copies do you have? Gaines sure let a lot of them slip through the cracks before he destroyed them, eh?

You say the story behind them isn't fun -- because Gaines thought the printing stunk? Maybe you're right. The New Direction comics are definitely not my favorite to collect.

How many white-logo copies do you have? Gaines sure let a lot of them slip through the cracks before he destroyed them, eh?

You say the story behind them isn't fun -- because Gaines thought the printing stunk? Maybe you're right. The New Direction comics are definitely not my favorite to collect.

I ended up with at least 5 or 6 of them when I realized they weren't actually a "hunt". I meant that I was picking them up as a fun aside thinking that they were some rare footnote in EC history that accidentally slipped through the cracks. Now I don't think they slipped through the cracks, I think the dam broke and maybe Gaines just didn't have it in him to destroy something that would have been pure profit. Maybe he told Charlton he was going to trash them, told them to take their invoice and shove it, then turned them loose on the market... (shrug)