• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gifflefunk's Research Thread

24 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd start a thread where I can dump all my questions and post a few discoveries...

First off, any EC collectors around? I'm curious if the title for Psychoanalysis #2 is truly misspelled Phychoanalysis in the indicia.

Second thing, does anyone know why CGC gives the date for ECs Animated Comics #1 as Summer of 1947? While digging through various issues for my EC indicia page I found Animated Comics #1 advertised in Picture Stories from the Bible New Testament Edition #1 (reprint of 1944 issue) which is copyrighted 1946. Also, PSftBNT #1 is similarly advertised in Animated Comics #1 with the heading of "Just in time for Christmas". The two seem to be contemporary issues which would make Animated Comics #1 a 1946 issue, and probably Fall or Winter, like PSftBNT #1.

according to Tales of Terror/The EC Companion, Animated Comics 1 had a publishing

date of winter 1947 and a high grade copy was found with a hand-written "Nov. 28, 1947"

acquisition date.

j

I did more digging and found that the Summer 1947 issues of Dandy, Land of the Lost, Animal Fables, Tiny Tot and Fat & Slat all mention Animated Comics along with the other running titles in their inside front covers. I think that explains where the OPG info comes from for a Summer 1947 guess. I also checked the Tales of Terror compendium which lists Animated Comics #1 on page 48 along with the footnote: A high grade copy of this issue has been found with a hand-written "Nov. 28, 1947" acquisition date. The same date as found on your copy.

So now I'm thinking both books were delayed such that even though the PSftBNT #1 reprint issue has a 1946 copyright, it was released in late 1947 along with Animated Comics #1, which explains why these two books have advertisements for each other.

I'm going to update the indicia entries to Winter 1947 for both books.

Wendy Gaines has posted to the Yahoo EC Comics group in the past. I'm not sure if she'd respond to an email request, but it would be interesting to see if the Gaines family still had any business ledgers that may contain print-run information.

"In late 2002 several copies of this book surfaced on eBay from a single seller." is the note I made back then when about 8 copies surfaced around the same time. I think the seller had more copies for sale in 2003. I don't think the book is scarce at all and it sells well because once the "scarce" label is attached to a book it seems to stay that way for a very very long time.

One that really bothers me is Star Wars #107 which is at best "uncommon" and no where near being scarce. Star Wars issues #19-22 are far more scarce than #107 will ever be... but alas, the OPG claims it scarce and people believe it... *shrug*

Animated Comics also has a Gerber scarcity rating of 8, which adds to the perception that it's rare. Very few if any other ECs have a scarcity rating that high. From my experiences it should probably be a 6. It just isn't that scarce. I've personally owned 3 copies, and seen many others.

In no particular order, I'd say:

Desert Dawn (promo comic)

Out of the Past a Clue to the Future (promo comic)

Shock Illustrated #3 (most of the run was destroyed)

Space Kite (3C issue)

Annuals

3-D issues w/ glasses

Weird SuspenStories (Canadian title)

And while not "scarce", for the variant collectors:

Mad #28 (ACE dist. mark)

Impact #1 (White logo)

Of the EC Annuals, the first Tales of Terror Annual is by far the most scarce. It rarely turns up for sale. After the that, the first Weird Science-Fantasy Annual and the second Tales of Terror Annual are somewhat hard to find. The Second WSF Annual and both of the Two-Fisted Annuals are common.

The Confessions Illustrated picto-fiction mags don't turn up very often either.

Many people are unaware of the existence of the white logo Impact #1, because it is not mentioned in Overstreet. Bill Gaines used Charlton's printer for the first printing of Impact #1 and was very displeased with the results and supposedly ordered the entire run destroyed. He then had the issue printed at his regular printer with a yellow logo. Obviously the copies of the first printing (white logo) were not destroyed because they turn up on a fairly regular basis.

Link to Allen Ulmer letter to Jerry De Fuccio in the notes section.

I can't take credit for this, it was found on eBay by Frank Motler, but it does confirm a position that I've held for a while now (originally I thought it was Temerson who acquired the Fox material as I too thought Temerson was "Holyoke"). Holyoke was definitely not one of Frank Temerson's companies (i.e. Brookwood Publishing Company, Inc.; Continental Magazines, Inc.; Et-Es-Go Magazines, Inc.; Great Comics Publications, Inc.; Helnit Publishing Co., Inc.; Nita Publishing Co, Inc.; Tem Publishing Co., Inc.). Holyoke was owned by Sherman H. Bowles who acquired Temerson's titles and Fox's titles. In the case of Fox, we know Holyoke acquired the titles due to unpaid printing debt, and I suspect the same thing had happened to Temerson.