• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet and Valiant Comics in 2004... what the?

28 posts in this topic

Valiants have definitely moved up in price in the last year, but they picked an odd book to represent that. I would say that Harbinger 0 pink, Harbinger 1, Solar 10, Magnus 12, Magnus 0, and Unity 0 red are all pre unity books hotter than Solar 1.

Valiants have definitely moved up in price in the last year, but they picked an odd book to represent that. I would say that Harbinger 0 pink, Harbinger 1, Solar 10, Magnus 12, Magnus 0, and Unity 0 red are all pre unity books hotter than Solar 1.

From the small write-up, it sounds like they just picked a "representative".

Got to love those Valiants!!!!!! Bought off the shelf, sold them while the prices were high........waited a few years and picked up the original issues for a song 893applaud-thumb.gif

And I still love the Pre-unity and Unity issues thumbsup2.gif

I did the exact same thing! grin.gif

It was only a matter of time that the $1-$2 pre-unity stuff would dry up.I'm sure there are some deals still out there but for the most part,getting them for a steal is over.Overstreet is finally recognising the action being given to these 1st year Valiant books.And the best thing about these books...they were really good reads,and were HOT issues because of their scarcity and demand back in '92/'93.Then the big hype of Valiant and all the attention on them did help drive the prices crazy on those early books,but when the market collapsed...the pre-Unity stuff took a beating because people figured anything Valiant was garbage.For those of us buying these books for the last 5 years...they are starting to turn into fine wine! Thank you Overstreet!

I just hope that with the increased attention directed towards Valiants, somebody takes notice and gets the rights to at least a couple of these characters.

I've been saying this for months, and getting belittled by several board members. Pre-Unity Valiants are blisteringly hot, sell exceptionally well, and can still be picked up from unsuspecting old ladies for a song. Pre-Unity main titles and the last issues of the main titles are easy easy money.

I've been saying this for months, and getting belittled by several board members.

No one is belittling you for the statement that buying Valiants cheap and selling them to suckers is easy money. So are drugs, but ethically, I prefer to deal in neither area. grin.gif

I hope that this whole "valiant" thing holds off for a few more months so that I finish off my collection before the prices skyrocket...I really only need a few of the keys/pre's and the rest are super commons...well nearly all valiants are super common....you could burn 100,000 copies of turok 1 each day for a week and that book would still way over published and not worth anything.... insane.gif

I hope that this whole "valiant" thing holds off for a few more months so that I finish off my collection before the prices skyrocket...I really only need a few of the keys/pre's and the rest are super commons...well nearly all valiants are super common....you could burn 100,000 copies of turok 1 each day for a week and that book would still way over published and not worth anything.... insane.gif

That's an entirely accurate statement. PRE-Unity Valiants are legitimately hard to come by in high grade, as well as the last issue of the runs.

As to JC's crack above - I list every auction I have at $5 with no reserve. This would be called "capitalism", where there is supply and demand. What do you have against Valiants, anyway? Seriously? EVERY post you make about them is negative. Every Single One. Pre-Unity Valiants are a great read, and if somebody wants to buy them, they are be getting a fun comic.

What do you have against Valiants, anyway? Seriously? EVERY post you make about them is negative.

You know the deal. I used to buy them off the stands, and then Wizard started hyping them, prices skyrocketed, I turned my Valiants into Bronze and tried to convince others that the bubble was going to burst.

Insert insufficiently_thoughtful_person specs laughing at my assertions, and blasting me for buying a run of NM Bronze ASM's, rather than a box of Turok or Bloodshot #1's. I think Bloodshot #1 is EXACTLY the point I stopped buying new comics at all, as the speculator madness was starting to make me sick.

So basically, I don't have fond memories of the Valiant implosion, although comic-wise I came out of it smelling like a rose.

What do you have against Valiants, anyway? Seriously? EVERY post you make about them is negative.

So basically, I don't have fond memories of the Valiant implosion.

Well, that was 10 years ago... and you were right, brand new Valiant books

couldn't sustain $100+ prices regardless of how good the Pre-Unity stories were.

Fast forward to 2004 and there are no brand new Valiant books.

There is no Wizard hype. They've only recently been mentioned as "books to watch"

by Overstreet...

and only the pre-Unity books at that. No Bloodshot #1, no Turok #1.

Pre-Unity books are a dozen years old by now, and under $10 for the most part.

What is the problem with Pre-Unity Valiant books in 2004?

You know in car-collecting circles, the Tucker model cars (1948) were supposed

to be the next big thing when they were brand new (like Valiant).

Fast forward a couple years and the company goes belly-up (like Valiant).

I'm sure there were no fond memories of Tucker cars right after the "implosion".

Take a look at the price for Tuckers in 2004.

99% of the world has never heard of... and doesn't care a bit about Tucker (like Valiant).

But I guess once a little time goes by, some people have the ability to "GET OVER IT".

(And no, I don't think Valiant books will ever be worth six-figures... it's just a metaphor.) thumbsup2.gif

It looks the Return of the insufficiently_thoughtful_person Speculator, albeit on a much smaller scale.

You guys always blither about "how great Valiants are to read" while posting links to CGC sales?

WTF?

It looks the Return of the insufficiently_thoughtful_person Speculator, albeit on a much smaller scale.

You guys always blither about "how great Valiants are to read" while posting links to CGC sales?

WTF?

I have not ONCE posted a link to CGC sales for Valiants, and I don't think Overstreet is talking about CGC sales either. I'm pretty sure that the people buying my Valiants are NOT slabbing them, rather they are buying them because they (1) remember them fondly from when they were 14 and want to read them again or (2) were unable to afford them in 1992 when they were the hottest thing on the planet.

I don't think that this is the "insufficiently_thoughtful_person Speculator" at all. I think its a groundswell of actual comic READERS who are looking to get books they wanted 10-12 years ago and couldn't.

I have not ONCE posted a link to CGC sales for Valiants, and I don't think Overstreet is talking about CGC sales either. I'm pretty sure that the people buying my Valiants are NOT slabbing them, rather they are buying them because they (1) remember them fondly from when they were 14 and want to read them again or (2) were unable to afford them in 1992 when they were the hottest thing on the planet.

I don't think that this is the "insufficiently_thoughtful_person Speculator" at all. I think its a groundswell of actual comic READERS who are looking to get books they wanted 10-12 years ago and couldn't.

Let me put it to you from my perspective (and trust me, I am really not all that unique for people in my age group): In 1992 I was 13 and couldn't afford any of these valiants. 2004 I am just shy of 25 and the first thing I did when I had money to spend on comics was finish my X-O run. I've also finished a Rai, Magnus and am only a Solar 60 away from that run too. If I can buy Bloodshot and Turok full run in one shot I would pay "above market rates".

These Valiants have a following and JC, much as you and your cronies love the Byrne X-Men and Bronze ASMs, me and my buddies used to talk about Bart Sears and the Turok and X-O teamup in X-O 14 and 15. The Chaos Effect was HUGE! Tastes change and people like different things - I think that buying a few pre-Unity Valiants for INVESTMENT is a smart move. Trust me - I am not the only one of my peer group who has a thing for these Valiants.

DAM

the prices for valiants will NEVER approach the spec driven up prices back in the early ninety's. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You mean back when you could get $50 for a Unity Red?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2219122398

I understand your point, though... I don't foresee "three-digit" prices for pre-Unity

Valiant books for some time. But prices from $5 to $50 aren't out of the question.

Valiant books are just now 10 to 12 years old.

I think everyone's favorite book, Hulk 181, was about $40 when it was 12 years old.

And we know it will NEVER break the three-digit price barrier,

especially since there are hundreds of thousands of copies out there. thumbsup2.gif

the prices for valiants will NEVER approach the spec driven up prices back in the early ninety's. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I tend to disagree on certain issues, but, the bigger response is - SO WHAT?