• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Impact of Page Detached from Staple

24 posts in this topic

Quick question from a newbie... I recently bought a book where the inner-most page is detached from the lower staple. All of the other pages and the cover are firmly attached and the book is otherwise in great shape. Is this the sort of thing that CGC will ding me for (or note on the label)? If so, what kind of reduction are we talking? (I'm guessing the book is around 7/8 otherwise).

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I searched and couldn't find anything...

Thanks for your help!

If a Blue label is not requested the book will receive a GLOD with the respective grade.

I didn't realize you can request blue label from CGC, have you actually done this ?

I thought CGC will either give you a GLOD or lower graded Blue depending on what they feel will work out best for you.

To answer the question of grade impact, I don't know if there is a standard =

no easy answer to your question. From personal experience it is a signifcant drop.

If a Blue label is not requested the book will receive a GLOD with the respective grade.

I didn't realize you can request blue label from CGC, have you actually done this ?

I thought CGC will either give you a GLOD or lower graded Blue depending on what they feel will work out best for you.

no easy answer to your question. From personal experience it is a signifcant drop.

I'm pretty sure otherwise HG books with a detached cover/inner wrap are automatically given a GLOD. As far as I'm aware you can request a Universal grade with the relevant grade hit.

GLOD = Green Label Of Death. Basically it's a Qualified grade, for example 'this comic would be a 9.6 if the centrefold wasn't detached at the top staple'.

Read more on GLODs here.

I'm pretty sure otherwise HG books with a detached cover/inner wrap are automatically given a GLOD. As far as I'm aware you can request a Universal grade with the relevant grade hit.

No soup for you! :sumo:

No "requests" accepted. A detached page will get a Green Label. Period. Why does everyone keep restating this myth? hm

No "requests" accepted. A detached page will get a Green Label. Period. Why does everyone keep restating this myth? hm

hm I don't recall saying that was a fact. I thought I'd read before that you could request a blue label on a book with a defect or signature that would otherwise garner a GLOD and take the relevant grade hit. Hence me putting 'as far as I'm aware'.

I'm still pretty sure I've read this from a CGC source, so if you can prove this Divad then I'll gladly stand corrected.

hm I don't recall saying that was a fact. I thought I'd read before that you could request a blue label on a book with a defect or signature that would otherwise garner a GLOD and take the relevant grade hit. Hence me putting 'as far as I'm aware'.

I'm still pretty sure I've read this from a CGC source, so if you can prove this Divad then I'll gladly stand corrected.

Here's the issue - people start saying stuff like "I'm pretty sure," and repeat it enough times and it becomes "fact." If you don't know, then just say you don't know. There's nothing wrong with that.

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt a book would get a green qualified label simply because the centerfold is detached at one staple. I can't remember ever seeing a book get a green label for something like that. It'll take a grade hit and get whatever color label (blue, purple, or yellow) is otherwise warranted.

As far as how much of a grade hit it'll take, if the book is really in the FN/VF range, it probably won't get dinged much for a centerfold detached at one staple. Maybe .5 at most.

Here's the issue - people start saying stuff like "I'm pretty sure," and repeat it enough times and it becomes "fact." If you don't know, then just say you don't know. There's nothing wrong with that.

This was my point exactly. :grin:

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt a book would get a green qualified label simply because the centerfold is detached at one staple. I can't remember ever seeing a book get a green label for something like that.

I have had two books come back in Green labels for exactly this. Old labels with note: "Centerfold loose at lower staple" (FF#47 and an early X-Men) :)

I also have had Green labels issued for the following defects: "Incomplete: Marvel Value Stamp missing from page 10" (Hulk #181) doh! ; "Cover detached at top staple only" (Marvel Spotlight #1) :( ; and the classic . . . "Staples replaced" (FF #8) :grin:

So long as you understand that what gets written on these Boards is not a "CGC source" :foryou:

For what it's worth, I seriously doubt a book would get a green qualified label simply because the centerfold is detached at one staple. I can't remember ever seeing a book get a green label for something like that.

I have had two books come back in Green labels for exactly this. Old labels with note: "Centerfold loose at lower staple" (FF#47 and an early X-Men) :)

I also have had Green labels issued for the following defects: "Incomplete: Marvel Value Stamp missing from page 10" (Hulk #181) doh! ; "Cover detached at top staple only" (Marvel Spotlight #1) :( ; and the classic . . . "Staples replaced" (FF #8) :grin:

How long ago did you get those? I know that Steve said about a year or two ago that CGC was moving away from the green label for a lot of books that used to get it.

OK so all taken on board, but (and I hate to use this phrase now), if I remember correctly it was information from Eric Downton I received in an email when I bombarded him with questions regarding my first submission. I could very well be wrong.

I've asked CGC if they can clarify it. I'm not to trying for one-upmanship, I'd just like to know definitively whether it is a possibility to request a Universal label with relevant grade hit instead of the automatic Qualified label.

How long ago did you get those? I know that Steve said about a year or two ago that CGC was moving away from the green label for a lot of books that used to get it.

The FF #8 was spring '09, the Hulk #181 was just about the time they introduced the new label, and all of the others were old labels :) I understand that they are, and that they have been getting away from notes on the label for a while. I also know that GA seems to be more or less exempt from the Green label (except for pieces missing).

OK so all taken on board, but (and I hate to use this phrase now), if I remember correctly it was information from Eric Downton I received in an email when I bombarded him with questions regarding my first submission. I could very well be wrong.

I've asked CGC if they can clarify it. I'm not to trying for one-upmanship, I'd just like to know definitively whether it is a possibility to request a Universal label with relevant grade hit instead of the automatic Qualified label.

:gossip: I don't believe Eric is a grader, is he? Very nice guy, but . . .

btw, it's never about one-upmanship :)

:gossip:I don't believe Eric is a grader, is he? Very nice guy, but . . .

btw, it's never about one-upmanship :)

As far as I'm aware no he's not. He was the point of contact I found the first time I contacted CGC. Like I say I'm more than likely wrong, and for the life of me I can't remember where I read (or where I was told) that you could request Blue labels.

It's getting on my nerves now not knowing so hopefully they'll answer sooner rather than later :grin: