• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark jewler Inserts

38 posts in this topic

You can almost guarantee that the inserts were in most every issue from the mid-70s on. There was a definitive month that they stopped: Marvel Comics cover dated either May or Jun 1991

Totally agree with you. Just an FYI, I sold an X-Men 94 MJ variant some 5 years ago graded around VF/NM.

I'm sure there are thousands of issues with the ad, if not every Marvel and most DC's published in the 70's.

Here's two more I found in a quick search of completed ebay auctions.

Hulk 155

Weird War 23

So, what does everyone think. Another web-page devoted to Mark Jeweler variants?

I would love to see a list of all the Mark Jewler inserts. You have my list from my website which has been posted. It seems interesting that the DC issues with the inserts do not seem to turn up as often as the Marvels.

Tom

Hello everyone! I'm new to this board and never post, but I had to say something about these Mark Jewelers ads.

I grew up on a military base in the early 80's and every comic had those ads in them. In my opinion I never cared much for them because after time the ink from the ads would run off into the centerfold pages of the comic. I spent a whole day carefully removing them from most of my collection when i realised they wouldn't be missed. I have to admit though that the comics I bought on base were in the best condition I've ever seen. Maybe having those ads in them kept them a little sturdier when they were shipped.

Your probably right, it only seems logical that something with a thicker piece of card in the middle would be stirdier, but I'd never actually thought of that 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Shame you didnt keep those ads, you could have inserted them into any comic you wanted now 27_laughing.gif

Oh yeah, welcome to the boards thumbsup2.gif

Hello again, and thanks for the warm welcome. Yes Darth, my father was stationed in West Germany where it seemed to rain about 3 days a week, but we moved back to California and my comics have been here since. Some of the less popular runs like The New Mutants or Arak still have the ads since it seemed like a waste of time to bother with them. I suppose I could pull a few out for anyone who wants to add a few dollars to there comic, but that would be cheating!

Funny thing. I'd been hearing about these inserts for along time but had never seen one. A couple days ago I received a small lot of House Of Mystery which included #249 with one of these MJ inserts. Thing is, there was a 1/4" x 3" strip missing from the insert. It was the ring-size measuring strip which was perforated on the page. Someone apparently wanted to measure their ring size and ripped it out blush.gif . I just ripped the whole insert out, now the book is my reading copy. ----Sid

In a recent set of comics I bought I ended up with a goodly number of Marvels in the 75 cent to $1.00 plus cover price range that had the Mark Jewlers ads.

My estimate would be that I have about 100 or so of these. These are across all Marvel superhero titles and most of these are about VF with aa few beiing worse and a few being much netter.

I have my plate full with price variants and I'm not ready to make Mark Jewler ads my forte. I may just throw them on eBay but if you are interested let me know.

WHile double covers seem to be big, I did find one in either a Captain America or Avengers issue that was a double ad.

Also there were a few issues in the same time that contained ads for things like Dungeons and Dragons merchandise and X-Men stuff on occassion. Were those inserts special or did they appear in all issues, I wonder?