• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book ubiquity and resulting fatigue

85 posts in this topic

I thought about posting this in General, but I thought it applied more to those collecting vintage books. To preface, I collect a variety of things, mostly records and paper goods and I've been collecting and reading comics for over twenty years.

In the early 90s, I was mainly interested in Marvel SA and bought a number of books that I enjoyed. In the mid-to-late 90s, I remember being energized when I saw books auctioned in CBG that I had never seen before: Schomburg covers, pre-code horror books, the 50s Atlas super-hero revival issues, etc. I participated in some of these auctions and was energized by what seemed to be a difficult task in finding these books.

Since that time though, with the development of eBay, online auctions, fan websites, CGC, and the Boards, I'm finding myself less and less interested in spending money to own books that I like. Would I enjoy reading them if I had them? Sure. But do I want to spend money on these books when I can find other, rarer items, for my other collections? No, not really. It started with Marvel SA. I stopped buying them years ago even though I still like them, enjoy looking at the art, and talking about the artists. I just don't need to own them.

For a number of years, I've been buying pre-code horror and some 40s - 50s hero stuff exclusively. I find myself slowing to a crawl in collecting this stuff because I'm finding that practically everything that I want to own is sitting on multiple websites waiting to be bought. I have a couple of runs I have a mild interest in finishing, but I'm resistant to spending the money on these comics and prefer to buy other stuff. My want list has probably around 20 books on it with only a couple of them being books I'd buy right away if the price was right. The rest I may never bother with buying.

Any regular member of the Boards gets bombarded daily with images of books, the same books over and over and over. What is really rare? Certainly no Silver or Bronze. I'm not talking about rare in high grade, just rare in general. Worrying about 9.0 vs. 9.2 vs. 9.4 isn't my game. And there isn't a hell of a lot that's rare from 1945 - 1960 either. By my definition, "rare" would mean having to wait years to turn up a copy in complete, unrestored condition. I like rarity in the things that I collect. The chase is a big part of the fun.

Is the success of eBay and online auctions actually hurting the hobby? Anyone else fatigued?

There are many truly rare books. Mostly golden age and earlier.

I understand what you are saying and I agree to an extent. But why would anyone collect anything if they could not find the items they wanted to collect?

Sure, you can find an Action #1 if you have the big money it takes. But you could also be a collector that seaches for your entire life, looking for one that hasn't been discovered yet. You could also be a collector of one of a kind items, but it would be difficult to be a collector of one of a kind comic books, if you did not pay attention to grade.

What would a comic book collection be, without an ASM book in it somewhere? A Hulk book in it somewhere? What would a comic book collection be without an FF?

If you want to only collect the truly rare and maybe even one of a kinds, then bring out the bucks and go at it. But if you want to collect the truly rare at bargain prices, then good luck.

I would love to have a Double Action book in my collection, but it ain't gonna happen. So, I either collect comics that I can find and afford or I collect none at all.

This coming from a guy who basically collects only Gerber 7, 8, and 9's. No 10's yet?

I can't believe that Mark Zaid (esquirecomics) does not have books rare enough for you to add to your collection. There are some others here also that could meet your challenge. Try those ashcan editions from years gone by.

I can't believe that Mark Zaid (esquirecomics) does not have books rare enough for you to add to your collection. There are some others here also that could meet your challenge. Try thse ashcan editions from years gone by.

I'm not looking solely for rarity, but rarity combined with a theme/artist/character that I enjoy. Seriously though, how many books haven't passed through the Boards or all of the auction sites at some point in a 2-5 year span? Not a whole lot, I venture to guess.

I can't believe that Mark Zaid (esquirecomics) does not have books rare enough for you to add to your collection. There are some others here also that could meet your challenge. Try thse ashcan editions from years gone by.

I'm not looking solely for rarity, but rarity combined with a theme/artist/character that I enjoy. Seriously though, how many books haven't passed through the Boards or all of the auction sites at some point in a 2-5 year span? Not a whole lot, I venture to guess.

Not many. But how many of those do you have in your collection? All of them?

You mention that you are looking only for comics with "theme/artist/character that (you) enjoy" but those very criteria have left you fatigued. Maybe you're just tired of the material with which you are so familiar.

The internet has provided a huge wealth of information about comics and it is easy to become overwhelmed. We're learning how many supposedly "rare" comics are easily found with the www.

But if you know how to use it, the internet can also help you turn up things that no one knows about.

Perhaps it is time to get out of the clubhouse and into the field. Be a "comic archaelogist." Try to explore new, less well-known areas of comics.

By being open to new areas of interest, I've found comic books to provide an endless source of fascination.

Perhaps it is time to broaden your horizons. Are you up to it?

I don't want to focus too much on rarity, but more on how things have changed over the past ten years in comic collecting. Remember the old days of going show to show looking for that elusive issue? Now just go to two or three websites and put in your CC number and it will be on your doorstep in two days. How has that affected you as a collector? Is it all positive?

Great thread Paul!

Everyone has their own reasons to collect. It all depends on the individual.

I think every collectible has many different ways in which it can be appreciated. Rarity is just one. I personally think ebay and auction sites are great in terms of obtaining normally hard to find books. It has definitely shortened the "chase" for many collectors. Is this good? That is for the collector to decide. Is the hunt the most important thing in collecting comics?

I think the thing with collecting is that the enthusiasm, like many things in life, is difficult to sustain over months, years, decades as life moves on. Some years the enthusiasm is sky high and others it falls short as other things in life pop up. I do believe that a good collection is like a garden and often needs weeding, organizing and regrowing.

Need a chase? Here's a good one: Put together the entire PreCode line with "Bonnett's" bookstore stamps on 'em!

I have been broadening my horizons in comics, but I'm finding that other fields of collecting are winning the war for limited funds based on the fact that I may never come across those items for a long time.

Here is a book that I found on Ebay for 35 bucks. I have not found anymore of them. Not saying they are not out there, but I have been looking to see if I could find another. Gerber and Overstreet question its existence. Probably does not fit into your interests, but in your interests, there may be some like this hiding from you. :)

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Romeo+Tubbs&publisher=Superior+Comics&issue=27&year=1950&issuedate=1950

I think the thing with collecting is that the enthusiasm, like many things in life, is difficult to sustain over months, years, decades as life moves on. Some years the enthusiasm is sky high and others it falls short as other things in life pop up. I do believe that a good collection is like a garden and often needs weeding, organizing and regrowing.

Good point... our tastes change, or they can be put on the back burner for a while.

Here is a book that I found on Ebay for 35 bucks. I have not found anymore of them. Not saying they are not out there, but I have been looking to see if I could find another. Gerber and Overstreet question its existence. Probably does not fit into your interests, but in your interests, there may be some like this hiding from you. :)

http://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Romeo+Tubbs&publisher=Superior+Comics&issue=27&year=1950&issuedate=1950

I can't view your link, but I understand your point. Was I jazzed to find my copy of G-I in Battle Annual (Farrell)? Sure was! Haven't seen one since, either.

I have been broadening my horizons in comics, but I'm finding that other fields of collecting are winning the war for limited funds based on the fact that I may never come across those items for a long time.

I know what you are getting at. I made the same choice back in 2002. Believe it or not the seven years I have been on these boards I have pretty much been a non collector the whole time. Love the medium, love the artists, but just don't feel the need to own expensive books as you said.

I think there is a lot to be said for taking it back to basics on comics, if other items are winning the war for funds. Today I read an archie while eating my breakfast. I bent the cover back, started coughing, got eggs all over it, cleaned it up and kept on going. I read some uncle scrooges the other day while eating cereal. Its liberating taking it back to what comics were meant to be.

I also bought the 73/74 "complete peanuts" hardback and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. (my biggest beef with peanuts was some of the gags just aren't funny - but sometimes they are if read in continuity because they build on a previous gag).

Bottom line if the collecting of comics is less interesting for you now, why fight it. Reading them on a very reasonable budget instead of having a "collecting" focus can be nice and open up funds for other pursuits. It worked for me, I am/was happy with my decision and wouldn't go back.

As silly as it sounds, this reminds me of one of the differences between my best friend and I.

When it came to women, my friend was all about "the hunt" or "the chase". Once he "had" them, he was done with it.

I was the opposite. It was not about the hunt or chase with me. If I could not have them when I wanted them forever after that, I didn't want them the first time.

He was a collector. I was an owner.

:roflmao::roflmao: