• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who here is a member of the AKIRA #1 Club?

30 posts in this topic

Of course I'm talking about this...

59122.jpg

One of the greatest anime ever made (I thought it a bit Overrated) but very few can deny the Manga it was based on is AMAZING! I've only read the first 5 issues from this run (thank you $ bins :banana: ) I bought a CGC 9.8 copy of #1 and I intend to get all 33 issue's of this series run.

Anyone else a member of this club?

And are the later issues very hard to find in high grade?

38 issues, no? IIRC. I have (had? did I sell it? don't recall) a 9.8 #38.. that was (is?) a nice book. the last few are pretty tough to get. Are you planning on 9.8 on all of them? I probably have a lot of 9.8 candidates actually. I bought an unread set years ago. That's where the #38 came from.

38 issues, no? IIRC. I have (had? did I sell it? don't recall) a 9.8 #38.. that was (is?) a nice book. the last few are pretty tough to get. Are you planning on 9.8 on all of them? I probably have a lot of 9.8 candidates actually. I bought an unread set years ago. That's where the #38 came from.
There were 38? I thought there were only 33, My bad.

I think I've got the whole run in my OO collection. None are graded but they should be in primo shape. I think I quit reading them around #20 or so. Good story, but maybe 30+ issues was overkill.

i've got the first ~15 issues or so that i got through Westfield back when they came out. i think i might have read the first one, but i doubt it.

the movie kicks serious tuchus

i've got the first ~15 issues or so that i got through Westfield back when they came out. i think i might have read the first one, but i doubt it.

the movie kicks serious tuchus

Is it true that Leonardo DiCaprio is producing a Live Action Version? (I hope it's not true)

no worries actually its quite understandable.... I believe it was cancelled after 33 and then only revived years later to finish the story through to 38. So if I have my facts straight there is a really big date gap between 33 and 34. Making the higher #s esp. 34-38 much scarcer than the early ones.

no worries actually its quite understandable.... I believe it was cancelled after 33 and then only revived years later to finish the story through to 38. So if I have my facts straight there is a really big date gap between 33 and 34. Making the higher #s esp. 34-38 much scarcer than the early ones.

How ''scarcer'' are we talking here? Like Impossible to find scarce?

nothing copper is truly impossible to find and I don't know the print runs on them. But they are pretty tough as far as 1980s books go. Other 80s indies runs kind of follow the same formula, the #1s were speculated on and the late #s were just ordered by the hardcore readers. Eg Miracleman #1? You can find stacks. 24? Not so much. Lone Wolf and Cub 1? Everywhere. #45? Not as much. Etc.

There were stacks of #34-38 in the quarter bin at Atlantis Fantasyworld in Santa Cruz, CA in 1996. I kid you not.

I did not buy them because I'm una idiota.

It's haunted me ever since.

doh!

nothing copper is truly impossible to find and I don't know the print runs on them. But they are pretty tough as far as 1980s books go. Other 80s indies runs kind of follow the same formula, the #1s were speculated on and the late #s were just ordered by the hardcore readers. Eg Miracleman #1? You can find stacks. 24? Not so much. Lone Wolf and Cub 1? Everywhere. #45? Not as much. Etc.

Even if there are loads of Lone Wolf and Cub 1s in high grade, I would never sell my CGC 9.8 because that Frank Miller cover and the story were so great (even without words).

*thumbs up* for the Akira #1 club!

1-FNVF.jpg

and yah, he's still alive:

http://www.akira2019.com/katsuhiro-otomo.htm

Otomo is currently working on his first full-length animated feature since AKIRA - the Victorian SF epic STEAMBOY. Budgeted at 2.4 billion yen, Otomo has for the second time made the most expensive anime in history. The film is scheduled for a fall 2003 release in Japan.

Otomo's manga career seems to have permanently stalled (with Otomo himself having been quoted as saying he prefers working in film), and many long-promised projects - including HUNCHBACK, a collaboration with Alexandro Jodorowsky - appear to be on indefinite hold.

http://www.akira2019.com/katsuhiro-otomo.htm

Otomo is currently working on his first full-length animated feature since AKIRA - the Victorian SF epic STEAMBOY. Budgeted at 2.4 billion yen, Otomo has for the second time made the most expensive anime in history. The film is scheduled for a fall 2003 release in Japan.

The news ia a little old don't you think? :insane:

There were stacks of #34-38 in the quarter bin at Atlantis Fantasyworld in Santa Cruz, CA in 1996. I kid you not.

I did not buy them because I'm una idiota.

It's haunted me ever since.

doh!

:sorry:

(by the way, that is the saddest, most depressing emoticon I've ever seen.)