• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toughest Team in the History of Comics?

38 posts in this topic

Any team with Superman on it I think automatically merits consideration IMHO. At one point the team had 10 active members. It's good to have numbers. ;)

(the top 3 would be pretty formidable just as a trio)

Superman

Wonder Woman

Martian Manhunter

Batman

Green Lantern

Atom

Hawkman

Green Arrow

Aquaman

Flash

As a betting man I would put my money on this group.

Any team with Superman on it I think automatically merits consideration IMHO. At one point the team had 10 active members. It's good to have numbers. ;)

Superman

Wonder Woman

Martian Manhunter

Batman

Green Lantern

Atom

Hawkman

Green Arrow

Aquaman

Flash

For sure. At least 2 of these Heroes can move faster than the speed of light. Not much Dr Strange is going to do about that. He would be dead 10 times over before he could think about casting a spell

The Authority essentially has Superman and Batman AND two beings who can ALTER REALITY with basically unlimited power. They also have The Engineer who is the equivalent of Tony Stark/Green Lantern.

They also have no qualms about killing.... something the Justice League would have a hard time doing.

The Doctor (Vast magical abilities and ancestral knowledge from being Earth's Shaman. Can alter reality)

The Engineer Nanotechnology in her body allows her to fly and to create anything she can imagine, super genius intellect.

Jenny Quantum (Undefined quantum power blasts, teleportation, flight,

reality manipulation, 100 year lifespan, not aging once she reaches adulthood)

Apollo (Supermanish character)

Midnighter (Batmanish character, but enhanced)

Jack Hawksmoor King of Cities

Swift Navigation, speed, flight

The Authority essentially has Superman and Batman AND two beings who can ALTER REALITY with basically unlimited power. They also have The Engineer who is the equivalent of Tony Stark/Green Lantern.

They also have no qualms about killing.... something the Justice League would have a hard time doing.

The Doctor (Vast magical abilities and ancestral knowledge from being Earth's Shaman. Can alter reality)

The Engineer Nanotechnology in her body allows her to fly and to create anything she can imagine, super genius intellect.

Jenny Quantum (Undefined quantum power blasts, teleportation, flight,

reality manipulation, 100 year lifespan, not aging once she reaches adulthood)

Apollo (Supermanish character)

Midnighter (Batmanish character, but enhanced)

Jack Hawksmoor King of Cities

Swift Navigation, speed, flight

They sound pretty formidable as well.

Although when we talk of super powers and Superman. Let's not forget that essentially, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter have very similar powers to the big guy. So that's 3 super strong, super fast, invulnerable and flight-capable supers.

For arguments sake, let's say some of the characters cancel each other out. Bear with me as I don't read the Authority, know next to nothing about them.

Apollo/Supes

Engineer/Green Lantern

Swift/Flash

Midnighter/Batman

So you'd be left with

The Doctor

Jenny Quantum

Jack Hawksmoor

vs

Wonder Woman

Martian Manhunter

Atom

Hawkman

Aquaman

Green Arrow

That'd be some donnybrook.

Superman

Wonder Woman

Martian Manhunter

Batman

Green Lantern

Atom

Hawkman

Green Arrow

Aquaman

Flash

For sure. At least 2 of these Heroes can move faster than the speed of light. Not much Dr Strange is going to do about that. He would be dead 10 times over before he could think about casting a spell

Oooh goodie. A "Whose nerd is more nerd" contest. (Insert Daffy Duck wringing his hands, laughing maniacally graemlin here.)

Doctor Strange would own the JLA.

Superman? Two weaknesses, and one of them is magic. Dear Lois Lane, We regret to inform you that Clark Kent, A.K.A. "Superman", has been Ditko jazz-handed into oblivion. Respectfully yours. Wong

Martian Manhunter? Here you go buddy try on the Flames of Faltine, see how those fit you.

As for the rest of those chumps... Say "Hey, how's it going" to Dormammu and the Mindless Ones. Enjoy your stay in the Dark Dimension.

Do you really think that The Master of the Mystic Arts, nay, The Sorcerer Supreme, would not be prepared for that battle? Strange would have the initiative. And if Strange has the initiative, it's game over.

It's not really a one-on-one fight. Jenny Quantum has absorbed a universe. The Doctor has converted an entire army of superpowered humans into flowers. He can bring people back to life. He held the entire country of Italy in place while the world revolved and destroyed the entire country. Four dimensional travel, existence in a vacuum, immunity to all the powers The Authority throw at him, reforming his entire body after it is blown apart... at one point he even says that he is capable of eating the sun.

These people can do things on a planetary level.

Superman

Wonder Woman

Martian Manhunter

Batman

Green Lantern

Atom

Hawkman

Green Arrow

Aquaman

Flash

Oooh goodie. A "Who's nerd is more nerd" contest. (Insert Daffy Duck wringing his hands, laughing maniacally graemlin here.)

Superman? Two weaknesses, and one of them is magic. Dear Lois Lane, We regret to inform you that Clark Kent, A.K.A. "Superman", has been Ditko jazz-handed into oblivion. Respectfully yours. Wong

Martian Manhunter? Here you go buddy try on the Flames of Faltine, see how those fit you.

As for the rest of those chumps... Say "Hey, how's it going" to Dormammu and the Mindless Ones. Enjoy your stay in the Dark Dimension.

Do you really think that The Master of the Mystic Arts, nay, The Sorcerer Supreme, would not be prepared for that battle? Strange would have the initiative. And if Strange has the initiative, it's game over.

I hear ya, But I still don't think you realize just how fast the speed of light is.

Superman has more than two weaknesses... he is riddled with weaknesses.

1. Kryptonite

2. Magic

3. He breathes air.

4. He needs a yellow sun to have his powers.

5. He puts Lois ahead of others.

6. He doesn't kill.

1. Kryptonite

2. Magic

3. He breathes air.

6. He doesn't kill.

Everyone has weaknesses.

I read one of the Authority dudes has to be in a city to even do anything otherwise he'll die or something. That kind of sux.

I hear ya, But I still don't think you realize just how fast the speed of light is.

299,792,458 meter per second. Yeah, that's fast.

But if Strange has the initiative, it doesn't matter how fast someone is moving. On the defensive, The Flash can't move faster than the speed of thought. You can run as fast as you want, but you've still got to have a plan of action. It would be over before they even knew what hit them. If it's the other way around? The JLA attacking Doctor Strange? Good luck getting through those defensive spells that surrounding the Sanctum Sanctorum to get to him. They're always on.

1. Kryptonite

2. Magic

3. He breathes air.

6. He doesn't kill.

Everyone has weaknesses.

I read one of the Authority dudes has to be in a city to even do anything otherwise he'll die or something. That kind of sux.

Yes... he is a city driven organism. The larger the city, the more powerful he becomes. He's been seen to turn the entire city of Tokyo into a living battle suit.

But true, everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

Your entire position rests upon the notion that Strange would be aware of the impending battle. Maybe, maybe not. And if not, would he be able to withstand a right-handed, haymaker to the chops from Supes? Or would his head come clean off? An arrow through the throat or a couple of crushed hands a la Hulk style and he'd have issues.

But if Strange has the initiative, it doesn't matter how fast someone is moving. On the defensive, The Flash can't move faster than the speed of thought. You can run as fast as you want, but you've still got to have a plan of action. It would be over before they even knew what hit them. If it's the other way around? The JLA attacking Doctor Strange? Good luck getting through those defensive spells that surrounding the Sanctum Sanctorum to get to him. They're always on.

Lot of factors come into play. Strange miscalculated and Banner turned into the Hulk and crushed his hands. He could've crushed his friggin' head. It just shows that Strange, for all his abilities, which are substantial, is just as prone to making a mistake as anyone.

If he's prepared for the fight, he's got a lot going for him.

Now we have to bring out the BIG guns. If they were fighting the JSA they would have to deal with the Spectre who is the spirit of gods vengeance and already dead. Not much they can do to him and he would turn them to dust with a thought :baiting:

She's not as powerful but I'd have dumped Flash and picked up Zatanna. She's smokin and has some ability. Maybe she could woo Strange by showing a little leg or something.

Lot of factors come into play. Strange miscalculated and Banner turned into the Hulk and crushed his hands. He could've crushed his friggin' head. It just shows that Strange, for all his abilities, which are substantial, is just as prone to making a mistake as anyone.

If he's prepared for the fight, he's got a lot going for him.

hm

Well, it wouldn't be the first time Strange has come back from the dead. If there's a wax museum anywhere near where this battle is taking place, he's in business.

Yeah man, that would be a fun book to read.