• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why quote GPA on ungraded books ????

332 posts in this topic

This is such a pointless topic, perhaps the most pointless topic actually related to comics discussed on these boards.

I don't understand the difficulty in using all of the available information. GPA, Overstreet, seller reputation, etc. to make your own determination of a books value, whether your buying or selling. Beyond that, why is it so difficult to let others buy or sell in the way they choose?

I think it's a conspiracy.

Everything else is here, apparently. (thumbs u

This is such a pointless topic, perhaps the most pointless topic actually related to comics discussed on these boards.

I don't understand the difficulty in using all of the available information. GPA, Overstreet, seller reputation, etc. to make your own determination of a books value, whether your buying or selling. Beyond that, why is it so difficult to let others buy or sell in the way they choose?

I think it's a conspiracy.

:o

Honestly, I think if someone prices their book at raw value but accounts for grade differences above 9.2 since that is where Overstreet stops, and wants to add for marketing reasons "GPA on a book at this grade encased goes for $XXXX," then that is just smart marketing and I totally respect it.

So it's okay to quote GPA for raw books over 9.2?

But anyone pricing their books strictly by GPA for raw books as the norm is potentially going to run into trouble when their grades and missing restoration on a book comes back to haunt them.

So you're just looking out for the sellers? Good.

Whenever this topic comes up, I can't tell if people are frustrated at sellers that price raw books at GPA, or sellers who actually quote GPA values when selling a book.

For me, it's actually both. Whether it's the right take on it or not, if a seller has a raw book and he's quoting GPA, it's almost like he's justifying his price because of GPA. Of course, we can all move along if we don't like the price (and shouldn't thread krap either, although there are times when I would have liked to. :devil: ). But that still doesn't mean that either practice doesn't irritate some of us.

For me, it's like this:

CGC graded = apples

Raw comics = oranges

GPA is for apples, not oranges.

This is such a stupid topic. I used to quote GPA when selling some raw books where it was important to note. I don't think I even priced it at GPA - slab fees. I discounted on top of that to account for uncertainty in grading. But that doesn't make GPA any less important as a benchmark for information.

Then misinformed posts like this popped up and JC was threadcrapping my sales thread, I (I think) stopped doing it for raw books. You know what I do now? I do the same analysis and price my raw books the same way (where it makes sense - i.e., I only ever did for UHG BA books I think), all the while without actually quoting GPA. Now you tell me. Which is better for the buyer? To know what GPA is and to compare or not to quote it all?

Personally, I did it to give a basis for the price I was asking.

Personally, I would love for anyone to sell me super high grade books raw at or near Overstreet prices. I don't look at GPA as a bible, because it is incomplete information. However, it is just as valuable (or more) as Overstreet which is also flawed.

Any of you guys that don't want to use GPA for this type of material, please PM me a list and I will get the check out to you.

Mike this has been discussed ad naseum. There are many facets or sides to this discussion and it's unfair to label all sellers with the same question.

I'll try to elaborate:

Some books are worth well over guide, and the only other accurate way of figuring that out is by using a source other than a guide. Since most people here are not dealers, they go to places like GPA to figure out price trends.

Now GPA is made specifically to track previous sales of CGC graded books, but it will also show you trends of certain books that will sell over guide and how much over guide they sell for.

The reason why the books are worth over guide is important. Some are worth more simply because of the grade. Some are worth more because they are rare or scarce, or just popular at that point in time.

Since people get peeved when a seller with raw books sells books quoting GPA prices for relative grades, maybe someone can explain how to figure out fair market value for all of those books that are not even remotely accurately priced in the guide?

Furthermore, for a large segment of the hobby, where people do not care about the grade but only care about finding a copy of a rare book, the slab is incidental...meaning the buyer did not pay for the book based on the slabbed grade, they simply paid for the book based on the fact that they could find a copy. The slab may have just been a nice transport mechanism until the book finds it's way to them and then they crack it out.

So you have different markets.

You have buyers of slabs for the grades.

You have buyers of slabs for only the resto check.

You have buyers of slabs for the reason that it was the only way they could find the book.

I just don't see a problem with quoting GPA as a general information tool when the price is related. As long as the grading is tight, and the info presented is fair, the buyer can make an informed decision.

If the buyer does not feel comfortable buying raw books (I happen to be ok with it) then don't. Politely stay out of the thread and refrain from making thread crapping comments and buy your books slabbed.

I've sold many books raw that have come back in the same grade or higher than advertised. I have had a few come back lower but not many. It happens.

It's important to remember that a transaction needs to be fair to both buyer and seller. There is no perfect world. There is communication and manners that make up for the lack of a perfect world though.

(thumbs u

Roy, for President :foryou:

Mike this has been discussed ad naseum. There are many facets or sides to this discussion and it's unfair to label all sellers with the same question.

I'll try to elaborate:

Some books are worth well over guide, and the only other accurate way of figuring that out is by using a source other than a guide. Since most people here are not dealers, they go to places like GPA to figure out price trends.

Now GPA is made specifically to track previous sales of CGC graded books, but it will also show you trends of certain books that will sell over guide and how much over guide they sell for.

The reason why the books are worth over guide is important. Some are worth more simply because of the grade. Some are worth more because they are rare or scarce, or just popular at that point in time.

Since people get peeved when a seller with raw books sells books quoting GPA prices for relative grades, maybe someone can explain how to figure out fair market value for all of those books that are not even remotely accurately priced in the guide?

Furthermore, for a large segment of the hobby, where people do not care about the grade but only care about finding a copy of a rare book, the slab is incidental...meaning the buyer did not pay for the book based on the slabbed grade, they simply paid for the book based on the fact that they could find a copy. The slab may have just been a nice transport mechanism until the book finds it's way to them and then they crack it out.

So you have different markets.

You have buyers of slabs for the grades.

You have buyers of slabs for only the resto check.

You have buyers of slabs for the reason that it was the only way they could find the book.

I just don't see a problem with quoting GPA as a general information tool when the price is related. As long as the grading is tight, and the info presented is fair, the buyer can make an informed decision.

If the buyer does not feel comfortable buying raw books (I happen to be ok with it) then don't. Politely stay out of the thread and refrain from making thread crapping comments and buy your books slabbed.

I've sold many books raw that have come back in the same grade or higher than advertised. I have had a few come back lower but not many. It happens.

It's important to remember that a transaction needs to be fair to both buyer and seller. There is no perfect world. There is communication and manners that make up for the lack of a perfect world though.

(thumbs u

Roy, for Prime Minister :foryou:

Fixed that for ya (since he lives in Canada). :)

My God, I bet you voted for McGovern.

Isn't voting for Roy more like voting for LaRouche?

:tonofbricks:

personally I vote for Louise (thumbs u

...and they say there isn't a movement.

lol

The answer is simple, no one wants to leave money on the table

I was going to say the same thing, but it is a broken outlook on selling.

If you have not taken the time and money to submit a book into CGC, have it definitely come back in the grade you stated, and then come to the table with a slabbed guaranteed grade, you have no leg to stand on.

This is just lazy greed on trying to squeeze everything out of a book that doesn't deserve the price, and if someone pays the price that is their call and gamble.

Too many sellers do a quick scan of the front cover and call it a 9.8, and do not look at the back cover or inside pages in detail. Then, later when the book comes back from CGC as something less, they are shocked.

I agree with Mr. McMiles....this is a nonsense thread.

Perhaps if you are new to the hobby, don't know how to grade, don't know how to spot restoration, don't know the market for the books you're buying, then perhaps quoting GPA prices for raw books can be confusing. But then, you're the perfect customer for Mile High Chuck...and his prices are ALWAYS spot on. lol

Otherwise, its just another tool for a collector to try and gauge value. In fact, its the ONLY reliable real-time pricing model in the industry. Overstreet is a complete joke, has been for years if you're into slabs.

In fact, I use GPA all the time if I'm buying a raw book, particulary HTF Golden Age. It'll tell you how many copies are in the census, and what they've sold for (if at all). That's a lot more informative than a price guide that has worked on the "Add 10% every year" model for the last three decades.

Quoting GPA on either raw or slabbed is fine with me but what bothers me is when GPA is used on some books and Overstreet on others. This is totally self serving.

Unless the GPA is used on slabbed books and Overstreet on raw, right? (shrug)

I think he's talking about having a sales thread and some books quote the Overstreet and some quote GPA. It doesn't matter if they're raw or CGC graded, the seller just uses the higher price for each book for sale.

Andy