• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Judge Dredd / Eagle / Quality / vol. 1 / vol. 2 / wtf?

17 posts in this topic

OSPG puts vol's 1 & 2 of Judge Dredd as being published by the same Publisher (Eagle / Quality / Fleetway)...

I'm creating a database of all my comics and I have "Eagle" as a publisher under which I've filed the 1st JD series.

Would you guys qualify "Quality" as a separate publisher of a separate series, or does it actually make sense to lump Eagle/Quality/Fleetway all together as a single publisher?

OSPG puts vol's 1 & 2 of Judge Dredd as being published by the same Publisher (Eagle / Quality / Fleetway)...

I'm creating a database of all my comics and I have "Eagle" as a publisher under which I've filed the 1st JD series.

Would you guys qualify "Quality" as a separate publisher of a separate series, or does it actually make sense to lump Eagle/Quality/Fleetway all together as a single publisher?

I have actually wonderd this myself.

funny... I find it odd how little information is available on the change from Eagle onward...

I wrote to Michael Eury to see if they'd do a back issue story on it in Back Issue, and he told me I was welcome to submit one. :)

man... that was a while ago...

The first 33 issues of Judge Dredd, vol. 1 were published by Eagle Comics - the series then moved to Quality Comics who published issues 34 and 35 of volume 1, and all 77 issues of volume 2. I'd say that vol. 1 should be listed under Eagle/Quality, and vol. 2 should be listed under Quality exclusively.

You should ask Mr 9.8 - he's the resident Judge Dredd expert :gossip:

Anyway, IPC magazines (which originally put out 2000 AD in the UK) decided to venture across the pond in 1983 and set up an American subsidiary, Eagle Comics, to primarily publish reprinted Judge Dredd books for an American audience.

As I said earlier, Eagle published 33 issues after which the series moved to Quality Comics (or Quality Communications) for a total of 9 issues (the last 2 of the first series, the first 7 of the second series), and then it was sold to Fleetway who published the rest of the issues in volume two under both the "Judge Dredd" and "Judge Dredd Classics" title.

All the issues published by these three companies were reprints from UK books - it wasn't until DC picked up the license in 1994 that you started seeing American-made Judge Dredd stories.

Eagle (or IPC) owned the license for Judge Dredd - Quality (owned by Dez Skinn, he of Miracleman fame) rented it for a while - and when IPC sold all their comic book properties to Fleetway, the license for Judge Dredd went to them.

I should have looked at GCBD... duh...

They actually break it out as:

Eagle (1983) 1-33

Quality Periodicals (1986) 33-34

Quality Periodicals (1986) 1-7

Fleetway / Quality (1987) 8-61

This bit:

"Eagle (or IPC) owned the license for Judge Dredd - Quality (owned by Dez Skinn, he of Miracleman fame) rented it for a while - and when IPC sold all their comic book properties to Fleetway, the license for Judge Dredd went to them."

was pretty helpful... so it wasn't a matter of the Publisher changing hands or names or going under, necessarily... but rather the license just being moved around from place to place... That helps sort things out for me a lot.

Thanks again!

:roflmao: No, wait . . . :roflmao:

You guys will never let me forget will you?. :eyeroll:

You're cool, as far as I'm concerned, but yes, it will probably be a while before it dies. :foryou:

You're cool, as far as I'm concerned, but yes, it will probably be a while before it dies. :foryou:

NEWBIE ALERT! C'mon what happened? Puhleeez! (worship)

give me a minute to look for it. (thumbs u

Here we are, this was under the Niche Collecting/Subject matter Experts were I nominated myself as A Expert. .Originally Posted By: Mr 9.8

TITLES / GENRES

JUDGE DREDD

Miracleman

Deadpool

Grips

COMIC ARTISTS

Brian Bolland

Tim Vigil

PERIODS

Copper/Modern

GRADE

9.8 And above. White pages only.

It's a very complicated situation...

Feetway is a publishing imprint, not a publisher. It is named after Fleetway House where UK comics publisher AP (Amalgamated Press) operated. AP evolved into the publisher IPC and the Fleetway imprint was used by them in the 60's and 80's. Like Marvel, Fleetway is the name many collectors use to describe the publisher rather than AP or IPC, the brand winning out over the various corporate names.

Eagle was a join venture between publishers IPC/Fleetway and I think Titan (if memory serves) who reprinted material from IPC's 2000AD comic.

IPC/Fleetway then licenced the reprints to Dez Skinn who published them through is Quality Communications company.

The licence then passed to American SAL Q whose S.Q.P company continued the line but was permitted to use the Quality name as an imprint.

So Quality was a publisher in it's own right and an imprint of SQP.

S.Q.P also used the imprints Fleetway and Quality/Fleetway.

To confuse matters even more at some stage some of S.Q.P's reprints had editions released in the UK with Titan as the publisher. The editions were released at the same time and can be hard to tell apart from a casual glance.

In summary

Quality is a publisher in it's own right

Quality was later used as an imprint by S.Q.P

Fleetway was an imprint used by AP, IPC, S.Q.P and possibly Egmont.

Titan is a publisher in it's own right who was a partner in Eagle

IPC is a publisher in it's own right who was a partner in Eagle.

I hope i got that right but it's pretty complicated.