• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these worth ''Slabbing''? Raw NM/MT Miracleman #1,2,3.

16 posts in this topic

I have several sets of the first 3 issues of MM I have been meaning to have certified and then posted on here to sell. However the more I think about it I come to the conclusion that these are not going to bring in much even in 9.8. I mean not even the Gaiman issues in 9.8 are bringing in much money (unless it's #23,24) so should I sell these books raw or just pony up the cash, have them slabbed and hope for the best?

No.
Okay that's 1 ''No'' and a ''maybe''.

Look ... those 3 issues are incredibly easy to find in high grade because they were part of the Eclipse warehouse sell-off - I personally have an entire longbox filled with pristine copies of #1-3, and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one that has a hoard like that. If you want to slab some sets for yourself, that's all fine & well - but don't expect to be able to recoup much more than the slabbing cost if you end up selling them.

And that's only if they come back as 9.8's - if they're CGC 9.6's, you pretty much can't give them away.

No.
Okay that's 1 ''No'' and a ''maybe''.

Look ... those 3 issues are incredibly easy to find in high grade because they were part of the Eclipse warehouse sell-off - I personally have an entire longbox filled with pristine copies of #1-3, and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one that has a hoard like that. If you want to slab some sets for yourself, that's all fine & well - but don't expect to be able to recoup much more than the slabbing cost if you end up selling them.

And that's only if they come back as 9.8's - if they're CGC 9.6's, you pretty much can't give them away.

Word.

No. Virtualy all MMs have dropped so far in price it's no longer worth it. Too many graded now.

To be worth anything they now need to be -

9.9 or 10.0

9.8 sig - has to be top census

no.23 or no.24 in 9.8 - now the only 2 really valuable 9.8 issues - and no.24 is softening

no.8 in 9.8 - but only cos I need one, after that forgedda bout it

Apocs and Family in 9.8s

A1 Sketchbook in 9.8

I'm thinking of starting an Eagle Comics Judge Dredd collection now. ;)

No. Virtualy all MMs have dropped so far in price it's no longer worth it. Too many graded now.

To be worth anything they now need to be -

9.9 or 10.0

9.8 sig - has to be top census

no.23 or no.24 in 9.8 - now the only 2 really valuable 9.8 issues - and no.24 is softening

no.8 in 9.8 - but only cos I need one, after that forgedda bout it

Apocs and Family in 9.8s

A1 Sketchbook in 9.8

I'm thinking of starting an Eagle Comics Judge Dredd collection now. ;)

:grin: Dont mind the company!

Just a little tease, but as s a 2000AD reader since Feb 1978 (age 6 - think it was Prog 52) I applaud your interest.

As I've said previously, I have 50 or so super-high grade, white page, issues below Prog 300. I was lucky enough to source most of these from another collector who stored them untouched and unread for years in big piles - ala Mile High!

However, this collection never grows as I just cannot find any other comparable issues.

Eagle Comics - used to love these - and the early Eagle versions, particularly the Baxter paper series (e.g. Nemesis & Judge Child) are very nicely produced, in fact Kevin O'Neill did specific new work for the Nemesis series. When I was 13 I had a paper-round that the newsagent would pay me with Judge Dredd comics!

When Dez relaunched they were ok - but when the license went to Sal Quartto at QC? (or whatever) the quality dropped significantly. The cover artwork on a lot of the books is awful.

However the whole Eagle / Quality area is quite challenging - both in terms of high grade and the obscure later titles. Full set of Zenith anyone?

My latest line of 2000AD collecting is 1st edition / 1st print Titan books.

Just a min, will go do some pics.... :)