• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

March 1952 Gallery

482 posts in this topic

Probably self-serving but since the Month Thread is not designed to show the books but the history of the books and since I am re-scanning the whole set, I'll put them up as I go through the alphabet.

Tonight, the A's.

A Date with Judy -

ADatewithJudy27.jpg

Hope you don't mind a little derailing of the alphabet, but your postings always make me think and draw connections. Below is the movie poster (DVD cover) for 1948s A Date with Judy with a very young Elizabeth Taylor who steals the show away from Jane Powell.

I ordered the disk after carefully viewing a 16mm film (DVD transfer) of my hometown from the late 1940s. A Date with Judy was showing at the local Roxy Theatre and helped me date the footage.

As a student of history, I thought you might enjoy a small sidelight to your own research.

ADatewithJudyDVD.jpg

Any reference to Carmen Miranda is always welcome ;)

Not the loveliest of actress but her generally outlandish costumes make her memorable.

2101845999_c18c5dc31d_o.jpg

I do intend for people to jump in this thread and comment any time they feel like it btw (thumbs u

CrimeExposed11.jpg

What a complicated cover with all the the different perspectives.

Was March 1952 the peak of the crime comics explosion? It sure seems like it!

Great stuff so far! Which title do you use to alphabetize? Most common title? (Gene Autry's Champion, for example.)

You probably mentioned, but I've forgotten. What's the total count? News stand only, not promos?

Jack

CowgirlRomances8.jpg

What a fabulous cover, and not just because of the obvious focal point. You managed to get a copy with really vibrant, unfaded colors.

Is this a Baker cover? The men's faces don't look right. Battefield? Multiple hands?

Jack

Was March 1952 the peak of the crime comics explosion? It sure seems like it!

It was! Esp. for Goodman. He dropped them a few months later to jump onto the War bandwagon.

Great stuff so far! Which title do you use to alphabetize? Most common title? (Gene Autry's Champion, for example.)

This time I am just grabbing them off the shelf and the last time I put them in alpha order (sometimes, it's Publisher, others it's genres). I wasn't caring about specifics so that Champion went to the C (and not G), same before, I put Bob Hope in the B instead of the A (Adventures of Bob Hope). As I age, I try to relax about those things. :)

You know, rescanning these books, I am a little bit surprised at how good the books look. I remembered worse! Sure, they are not high grade but nice presenting circa VGs aren't too bad, like that colorful Cowgirl Romances.

For colors, check back the difference in the Boy Comics US versus Canada version. The US version is so much better!

Just too cool! Great thread and it's a blast checking out the books I've not seen before.

Was wondering why you posted two Boy Comics #75 (missed that one was Canadian). The difference in colors is huge. I have a copy and the colors just pop on that issue!

March 1952 must've been one of the larger months of issues published - both titles and publishers. Also interesting to note that super hero titles/issues were in the minority.