• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still waiting for the Market Crash..

68 posts in this topic

Can someone update this with December 2009 numbers?

I don't know if Rob was referring to total copies, or just unrestored, but here are the current unrestored census numbers.

"There are 20 (now 26) issues graded in the 9.0 or better slot for #1, 32 (now 47) issues 9.0 or better for #3, 23 (now 29) issues for the very "rare" #11, and 85 (now 111) issues for #14."

The Spidey in 9.0 at $20k would be a steal today, the last one listed in GPA sold for $34k, but the Spidey 14's in 9.4 are still in the $8-10k range. Most of the the vintage/collectible "blue chip" books discussed in those threads have remained at the same price, and many have increased in value, since 2002-2004.

insane prices on Miller DD prices that prevailed before the movie came out - $200+ for a DD 183 CGC 9.6, anyone?)

$251. July 2002 IIRC.

I remember that one specifically because my raw 9.4 cost me only $2 to buy.

The Daredevil movie bubble was the worst of the worst of speculation mania. Books were driven up BEFORE you would have expected them to get the movie bump, because folks were speculating on the speculation for the movie bump. Hence, some 9 months before the movie, DD were scathing hot. Gold (!), Silver, Bronze, Modern, everything.

Of course, once the movie came out, all the speculation had already happened, and the market slowed to a whimper.

sounds like Avengers and Captain America.

The most glaring difference I saw was Savage Sword of Conan Annual #1 9.8 White pages. I bought it off a board member via BIN through eBay (Danny I believe) for 275.00 - great price at the time (2 years ago I think?). It sold for all of $69.10.

----

and whose to say you wouldn't have done vastly better in a fixed price (with best offer option) format sale than rolling the dice on an auction? auctions are tricky.

Oh I agree - just didn't have the convenience of waiting for a buyer to come along. Still even in auction format that large of drop is concerning.

insane prices on Miller DD prices that prevailed before the movie came out - $200+ for a DD 183 CGC 9.6, anyone?)

$251. July 2002 IIRC.

I remember that one specifically because my raw 9.4 cost me only $2 to buy.

The Daredevil movie bubble was the worst of the worst of speculation mania. Books were driven up BEFORE you would have expected them to get the movie bump, because folks were speculating on the speculation for the movie bump. Hence, some 9 months before the movie, DD were scathing hot. Gold (!), Silver, Bronze, Modern, everything.

Of course, once the movie came out, all the speculation had already happened, and the market slowed to a whimper.

sounds like Avengers and Captain America.

The Batman hysteria was much worse in the 80's.

Every Batman book in the guide actually went up in value with a massive bump. Not just keys, but across the board. It was hysteria on a level that was unprecedented. It was almost like AF #15 a couple of years ago. There seemed to be no ceiling on Batman books. Detective #27 passed Marvel #1 in the guide as the biggest book of all time and then was shortly thereafter surpassed by Action #1.

I remember seeing a coverless Batman #1 with an asking price of $500 on a wall in a comic book store in Buffalo, NY. This is over 20 years ago.

It was madness.

Mid/Late 80s was a formative time for the market IMO. Anticipation for the Batman movie combined with the rise of the Overstreet Update w/ market report format tracking hot trends made for some interesting times. And don't forget that SA Flash was scorching hot for awhile, driven by renewed interest from the tv show.

The Batman hysteria was much worse in the 80's.

Every Batman book in the guide actually went up in value with a massive bump. Not just keys, but across the board. It was hysteria on a level that was unprecedented. It was almost like AF #15 a couple of years ago. There seemed to be no ceiling on Batman books. Detective #27 passed Marvel #1 in the guide as the biggest book of all time and then was shortly thereafter surpassed by Action #1.

I remember seeing a coverless Batman #1 with an asking price of $500 on a wall in a comic book store in Buffalo, NY. This is over 20 years ago.

It was madness.

Can someone update this with December 2009 numbers?

I don't know if Rob was referring to total copies, or just unrestored, but here are the current unrestored census numbers.

"There are 20 (now 26) issues graded in the 9.0 or better slot for #1, 32 (now 47) issues 9.0 or better for #3, 23 (now 29) issues for the very "rare" #11, and 85 (now 111) issues for #14."

The Spidey in 9.0 at $20k would be a steal today, the last one listed in GPA sold for $34k, but the Spidey 14's in 9.4 are still in the $8-10k range. Most of the the vintage/collectible "blue chip" books discussed in those threads have remained at the same price, and many have increased in value, since 2002-2004.

I'm actually quite surprised the numbers aren't higher than that, since we're talking about the total of NEW submissions AND resubs since 2004.

As such, most of these early Spideys were graded at the advent of CGC, and not much since.

This does seem to point to a "smaller" population of ungraded books than what is commonly assumed on these boards.