• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Batman TPBs

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys! Happy Holidays to all and my very best in 2010.

So, I am a little bit out of it with the most recent Batman stuff. I wanted to get caught up and buy a bunch of trades. It looks like recently both Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman have been writing some Bats books.

Anybody been following this stuff and know about the tpbs? I see a lot of "Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader", "Batman: Battle for the Cowl", "Batman: the Black Glove", "Batman: RIP", "Batman: Cacophony",etc.

Any of these worth picking up? Anything else that should be on my radar?

Thank you,

Dave

wow... there sure does seem to have been a recent spike in the number of people interested in Batman...

check out this thread and see if it helps:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3522765#Post3522765

I don't like Batman, but I did pick up those 2 Gaiman issues b/c he's a freakin' genius. I wasn't very impressed... but they seemed like they were written more for people steeped in the Batman mythos.

I don't like Batman, but I did pick up those 2 Gaiman issues b/c he's a freakin' genius. I wasn't very impressed... but they seemed like they were written more for people steeped in the Batman mythos.

They were the best two Batman issues since Moench was writing.

Wow Dave! Long time no post! :hi:

The Gaiman stuff is nice, and nicely drawn by Kubert, but it is a what-if type story that would have fit in to Legends of the Dark Knight from years ago. It is probably worth a read, but it's not really connected to anything else (that may be a good thing, read on!)

The Morrison stuff is very dense, and as far as I'm concerned the jury's still out over whether any of it will eventually make sense. RIP in particular will not really pay off for another 6 months or so when we see what Morrison intends to do with Bruce Wayne. I liked it more than most on here (the board consensus really seems to hate Morrison's RIP and Final Crisis). If you want to sample Morrison's Batman, try Batman & Son, his initial arc which is more accessible than most of Morrison's stuff.

I thought the Kevin Smith Cacaphony miniseries was just ok.

Your best bet might be to look for the Paul Dini-scripted Batman TPBs (reprinting his run from recent Detective Comics). That's probably the best in-continuity Batman stuff published in the last few years.

WBTTB!

Hey Dave! Great to see you post again! :applause:

I agree with Zonker's statement below:

Your best bet might be to look for the Paul Dini-scripted Batman TPBs (reprinting his run from recent Detective Comics). That's probably the best in-continuity Batman stuff published in the last few years.

The Dini stuff is probably what you'll like best, and it's easy to just pick up and start reading.

Morrison was hit/miss. His first couple issues were great. Once the "RIP" stuff started, I got confused as I don't pick up every Bat-title.

Issue #663 was the best of the bunch. Instead of your standard "panel" comic book, it was a great Batman/Joker short story written by Morrison. I thought it was fantastic!

Heart of Hush TPB

Highly recommended. Egregiously overshadowed by the mess that was RIP.

Son of Batman and the replacement Batmen are good reads, although the Club of Heroes issues are again pretty hard to tackle.