• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iconic covers

22 posts in this topic

Hi, folks:

Was at my local comics shop and overheard an interesting discussion that later turned into an argument, and, well, you know how these things go.

The topic was iconic comic covers of the 1980s, and I heard a few goods ones that I agree with. Here's the Webster's definition of Icon:

1 : a usually pictorial representation : image

2 [Late Greek eikōn, from Greek] : a conventional religious image typically painted on a small wooden panel and used in the devotions of Eastern Christians

3 : an object of uncritical devotion : idol

4 : emblem, symbol

5 a : a sign (as a word or graphic symbol) whose form suggests its meaning b : a graphic symbol on a computer display screen that usually suggests the type of object represented or the purpose of an available function

The ones I agree with are:

-Superman Man of Steel #1 cover (Byrne)

-Watchmen cover (forgot the issue #, but it had the yellow smiley face)

Ones I disagreed with:

-Wolverine mini #1

-Hulk 340

On the fence:

-Spidey 252

-Thor 337

Anyone think of others that are truly iconic covers from the 1980s? hm

Definitely:

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #1

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS #2

WATCHMEN #1

Maybe:

ASM #252

ASM #300

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #7

DD #181

HULK #340

PUNISHER Ltd #1

THOR #337

TMNT #1

SECRET WARS #1

WOLVERINE Ltd #1

X-MEN #137

Iconic by historical significance (a #1 issue, "death" or 1st appearance), by artist, value of the actual comic book itself, or simply by the image and composition itself?

Here's my favorites that I think qualify in popularity outside of any #1, 1st App. or other factors other than the artist and composition:

Green Lantern / Green Arrow #76 - Neal Adams

Superman #233 - Neal Adams

Strange Tales #167 - Steranko

Captain America #111 - Steranko

Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #4 - Steranko - for being a cover most recently being the inspiration for other artists "reimagining" including Greg Land, Frank Cho, and Arthur Suydam